Half dark images above 1/200 second on 5DMIII

<p>I'm experiencing some issues when taking shots above 1/200 sec on my Canon 5DMIII. I'm NOT using a flash and realize that the max sync speed of the camera is 1/200 sec. My images randomly have a black line running through them. Sometimes the line is dark and solid, other times it's faint. So if I take a burst of images at, say 1/320 sec, I get a mix of different results. Some images have a dark black bar or a faint black bar on random parts of the image. Some actually come out perfectly exposed. Is my shutter dying?</p>

<p>Can you post a sample image?</p>

<p>With a shutter issue, I would expect the edges of the bar to be very slightly fuzzy and not PERFECTLY square with the frame -- not occurring at the exact same y coordinate straight across the frame.</p>

<p>With some other sort of issue, I'd expect a hard-edged bar that is exactly square with the frame. If this describes your problem more accurately, you might try hard-rebooting your camera by removing the main battery and coin/memory cell, waiting for 15 min or so, reinstalling the batteries, and powering back up. (Note: All your settings will be lost.) You can also try a firmware reinstall. If the problem remains, I'd say it's an electronic issue.</p>

<p>It has the classic display of a failing shutter. My first SLR had had two shutter blinds (in my case going across in landscape mode) and if the speed of the two were not the same then the result was exactly as you describe. In my case I could adjust the tension of each shutter independently. Once altered I could never get the perfect result!<br>

Might just need cleaning but probably best to get replaced.</p>

<p>I would NOT trust it to be an electronics issue, even if it <em>seems</em> OK now. Failing shutters symptoms can come and go. I would not trust that camera for a critical job. At the very least I'd send it to Canon for a shutter check.</p>

<p>I'd say it's far more likely to be a mechanical problem than an electronic problem.</p>

<p>Thanks, everyone. I spoke with Canon and will be sending the unit to them soon. It is less than a year old and I will send along sample images. </p>

<p>Canon insists that they need to recreate the issue, but hoping the unit being under warranty will make that less of an issue. I will keep you all posted as to my progress with Canon.</p>

<p>Keif, make sure to label your image CD with a big note written in red magic marker saying, "Please see images on CD that show problem." Also stick a Post-It note directly to the camera, telling them to examine the images on the enclosed CD. Don't expect them to call you with questions, because they won't.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>UPDATE: I have had my Canon 5DMIII serviced at Canon and they replaced the main PCB under warranty. They didn't offer an explanation, but I do know that the board cost appx $250. They also threw in the replacement of a focusing screen that I had requested they change. No charge. Sweet. Love those guys.</p>