New (for me) Nikon S2

BelaMolnar

<p>I get my birth day present. A NIKON S2 with a Nikkor-S.C 5 cm f/1.4 lens, no lens cap, no hood. Camera is almost mint, ( 99.5%)working perfect, shutter curtain very clear, no sine of wear, lens is clear, bright, camera need a lubrication only. I know, the 5 cm/1.4 not a very sharp lens, but for a wile I have to live with it, until, I can afford a better, 5cm/2.0 lens or a astronomically priced 35mm. All kinda advise welcome, need a lens cap, a hood and a yellow or orange filter. I like to use it, after my Nikon technician going to check it, and if necessary, adjust the camera. CLR. A box of 400 Tmax in the fridge, waiting to be used.</p><div>00cozb-551031684.jpg.a1b6cb0fbfa025fd22573e1b0d8f2891.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you Paul. Somewhere, somebody recommended a 35mm lens of Russian made, Jupiter 12 2.8/35mm lens for the Nikon S2. I wonder what the lens mount supposed to be, which Jupiter 35mm lens would fit to the Nikon S2? I like to have some good advise, what to buy, what not to buy? I definitely like to have a 35mm lens for this camera, and the nikkor, I can't afford now. Thank you for the info to all of you.<br /> I'm well informed all the SLR cameras and lenses for nikon, but absolutely no clue for RF camera lenses, and compatibility issues.</p>

<p>Hi Kent. I haw a Leica copy of Russian origin, and holding the Nikon S2 in my hand, this camera more robust, but still small and very nice, it is pleasure to hold on my hand. After a thru check and lubricating the lens focusing tread, I going to load with B&W film and hit the street to shoot. Lucky me, I already find the original hood for a very reasonable price and a yellow filter too.</p>

<p>The early versions of the rangefinder Nikon 50/1.4 were soft wide open but very sharp a few stops down. I once made a 40" by 60" enlargement from a Panatomic-X negative shot in 1961 with the 50/1.4 (on an SP, not an S2) at F/11. It held up even at close viewing distance -- nobody would believe the original negative could be less than 4" x 5". I regret selling that SP and its three lenses (the others were 35/1.8 & 85/2). The F2 SLR was almost but not quite as satisfying. My current Df makes better images than the rangefinder Nikons but is twice as heavy and half the fun.</p>

I have one too... and the lens is nothing to kick about: it's a very good, sharp lens, and if shot wide open it has a splendido OOF area effect.

Now... beware of regular, generic 43mm filters. The thread pitch may not work. I speak from experience. I didn't get a good set of filters until I managed to purchase an old "Bel-View" package with three little things (UV, yellow and orange) in a leather case. Contemporary filters may not work, so if you have a chance to try them on before purchasing, please, do so.

Also, the Nikon mount doesn't work with Contax or Russian gear, and Contax bodies won't take too well to work with Nikon glass. In addition to that, this camera body is, like the Leica M3, sort of "optimized" for the 50mm focal length. If you wanted to shoot a 35mm lens, you'll have to find an inexpensive, slow Nikon (there's a 35mm f2.5) and a viewfinder. I'd advise to keep it with the 50mm lens. I learned to appreciate this lens by using this camera. Besides, your viewfinder has a 1:1 magnification ratio, what else do you want? That means you see the scene at its real proportion. It may not be parallax corrected, but you still can get in the frame the important stuff in the scene in front of you. Just remember not to compose with the subject too much to the right or left.

Now, even if the camera need some kind of cleaning, just load it and take it for a spin. They're a lot of fun to use!

<p>Thank you for the good advise and compliments for all of you. <br /> Conrad. Thank you for the good advise, to using the 50/1.4 lens. I believe, and it is my feeling, the real photography, for me, and as I noticed, so many others, more fun with film, when you have to use your knowledge and experience and wait until the film developed and printed, even printing is done digitally and not in a wet process anymore.<br /> Francisco. Thank you all the good advise, the 35mm f/2 lens a good idea, and I going to research if it is available for a reasonable price. If not, the 50mm is still ok. I find one nikkor 35, but it had an astronomical price. The camera is in the technician hand for checking, cleaning and lubricating, according to the first check, the camera is a very good condition. Unfortunately, I have to wait 2 weeks to get the camera ready to use it. I know the filter tread is a 0,5 and most of the gadget is 0.75. So I going to be very careful with his issue.<br /> The good new is, I find and bought an original hood for a bargain 76.00 dollar, (?) when the other seller vas asking a 196.00 + 46 dollar shipping for this special hood. I still looking for the yellow filter, 43mm 0.5 tread.<br /> Soooooo exited and happy, I hardly can wait for 2 weeks.<br /> Beside that, I have a D3s, a D4 and the Df, which lately, I using the Df, most of the time. All the SLRs not listed, from the F to the F5.<br /> Thank you again for all of your help.</p>

I guess this camera represents some kind of return to the good olden days for you, given that you have some of the best that digital Nikon can offer.

From experience: if you already got the original hood, that's fine, but be aware that it falls easily because it's anchoring to the edges of the lens is just two clips that push outwards. I went to Spain two years ago and took my S2 with (along with my D700). I nearly lost the hood twice, and after that, I became paranoid about walking with the camera in the crowded streets of Toledo, because it was quite easy to get the hood dislodged. Best decision? Buy a very inexpensive metal screw-on hood on eBay and put it in the camera whenever you foresee walking with crowds. If you're taking the camera for a stroll in the woods or some such environment, take the Nikkor hood with.

Also, you must have seen the 35mm f1.8 lens (which sells for a kidney). I found out later that the f2.5 tends to be more popular... because it's a lot less expensive. They're not impossible to find... in case you really want one. I was very interested on it, until I decided that, just like my M3, this camera will be my other "dedicated 50mm" body.

I hope the camera returns to you soon, so that you can take it for a walk. Just make sure that the VF is very clean, and that'll do it. Take care!

<p>Hi Francisco. The view finder is very clear the mirror in the viewfinder is gold coated and bright, and the good new is, I all ready find the 35mm f/2.5, chrome, with front and rear cup, optional viewfinder and case, for a very reasonable 495.00 dollar. Posted as mint, and the pictures looks very good. You right, I have very bad experience with clip-on hoods. As you suggested I my buy a third party hood and use that instead the original. The 35mm f/1.8 is astronomically priced. Out of a question. I believe, I going to be paranoid too, about the hood, because, at the moment, only one exist on eBay for a 200+ dollar. Correction. Just noticed, a second show up for 126 dollar. I paid for my, 75 dollar.</p>

• 2 weeks later...