Arca swiss macro system

ilario_branca

<p>Sure - it depends on the degree of fine workmanship and accuracy. If you go to that big auction site and do a search for the term "focusing rail" you will see lots of them. If you want to use arca style clamps, you would need to add an arca clamp to the screw on tripod thread, and an arca baseplate on the bottom. I don't need the ultra fine micrometer accuracy of the expensive ones in my work, so I one of the Chinese inexpensive ones, with an arca clamp on top and a small arca baseplate on the bottom. Other manufacturers produce super high quality like the one you linked to, such as Really Right Stuff and Kirk - prices are high and dependent on the specific features you want.</p>

<p>I am partial to Really Right Stuff gear. There are a lot of options and compatible accessories for macro, panorama and general photography. The build quality is non pariel, all CNC machined (no castings), and it's no heavier than necessary for rigidity. Lever actuated clamps are great, but best used if all your dovetail gear is from RRS. Screw clamps are slower and bulkier, but intrinsically self-adjusting. They're also less expensive.</p>

<p>http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.602/it.C/.f</p>

<p>A micrometer stage is almost required for magnification 1:1 or greater, and highly useful for focus staging (easy to set equal increments). For ordinary closeups, say from 1:4 to 1:1, I just use a slider. Less than 1:4, the focusing helix is sufficient.</p>

<p>Novoflex is another high-quality alternative, perhaps more easily available in Europe (German company). Their dovetails are not 100% compatible with Arca nor RRS, but work well with screw clamps.</p>

<p>The Velbon is not completely arca Swiss compatible - it needs an Arca Swiss plate on top.</p>

<p>I like RRS products too, but the RRS model that's comparable to Kirk's FR2 costs way more and looks very cumbersome to me. I believe the OP is looking for a cost-effective solution.</p>

<p>I hope Leszek or someone who has had experience with the Velbon rail can tell you. Looking at the image, my ["educated"?] guess is there is a socket/hole at the bottom to attach to the ballhead that does not have a quick-release plate. My guess comes from looking at the top - it has a bare screw to which the camera is supposed to be attached. It does not come with a quick-release plate like the other more comprehensive designs.</p>

<p>You may want to read the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/193311-REG/Velbon_SUPER_MAG_SLIDER_Super_Mag_Slider.html">customer reviews </a>before making your final decision.</p>

<p>These rails are typically designed to sandwich between the ballhead and the camera or lens, so one does not need to remove something to accommodate it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Cost effective or just cheap? It's poor economics to trust an expensive camera and lens to a $12 closeup rig. It's frustrating to use a tool that doesn't quite do the job. If you need precision, be prepared to spend the money. If a slider plate will get the job done, you can spend a lot less than for a vernier.</p>

<p>Actually that Velbon rig can turn out to be more expensive than the Kirkphoto rail if one has an Arca-Swiss style setup, because it needs an Arca plate on top and at the bottom (I think). If that is the case, then it is not worth it.</p>

<p>By the way, Edward, Kirkphoto's tools are just as well made as RRS's from my experience. I buy from these two companies interchangeably when I need something.</p>

<p>I think this is a good place to look for stuff on the used market. I have two myself; the Pentax and Stroboframe ones, both which date from the 1980s I think. Neither one has an Arca Swiss plate, but I have just purchased generic Arca Swiss plates plates which work fine. The Pentax version is the larger of the two, a very nice worm gear and very solid. The Stroboframe is very light; I wouldn't use it with any extension, but with an SLR and macro lens it works great. <br>

Minolta also had a product of the era that was magnificent, but I was never able to track one down. JI think it was featured in John Shaw's photo books again of that era.</p>

<p>I have no problem with Kirk Photo equipment. However, there's not much difference in price compared to Really Right Stuff. I think the RRS focusing rail is slimmer than the Kirk, because it is machined from a billet rather than assembled from tubing. The Kirk does have a rotating head, which is very convenient. The RRS panning clamp is expensive, but very tight and precise. I've had one in daily use for nine years.</p>

<p>By "standardizing" on RRS, I can use their plates and clamps interchangeably, including the lever clamps. Levers are not only faster to use, but not as much in the way. They are not adjustable, however, and may not work will all plates. Novoflex makes very nice, CNC machined gear too, but are very expensive and generally incompatible with Arca gear.</p>

<p>Threaded attachments are cheaper than Arca type plates and clamps, but always seem to slip and rotate unless you overtighten them. IMO, they're a complete waste of time.</p>

<p>I have a Velbon like this and it works fine. It also has side-to-side movement unlike the Arca rail. There is some backlash in the screws and gears but if you're thinking of doing a lot of macro focus stacking you might need a micrometer stage. Adding a generic Acra plate to the bottom and clamp to the top is not expensive and you can use them for other things as well. I also have an old macro rail from a Vivitar bellows set that cost next to nothing on the used market. That is quite rigid and has a rack and pinion gear movement. I would say that if you want high precision you have to pay for it but there are a lot of options below a micrometer stage that will get the job done. Good luck.</p>