Autofocus doesn't work on Nikon 24-70

jnseventscapture

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>It’s now three days ago that I’ve received my new lens, the Nikon 24-70.<br>

The day I got it, I tested it on my D7100 and everything worked fine.<br>

Yesterday I took it for another test and the lens didn’t autofocus anymore.<br>

I took off lens, put it back on, still it didn’t work. I repeated this and then it did work. But only for a couple of shots. Suddenly it didn’t want to autofocus anymore.<br>

A couple of times I tried to take it off, put it back on, but still no autofocus till now.</p>

<p>I did test some other lenses I have and all of them are working in autofocus.</p>

<p>What can be the problem?</p>

<p>My biggest concern is that if it’s a fault on the lens, I may not be able to send it to repair or something like that.<br>

I live in Suriname and here we don’t have any Nikon shop nor an authorized Nikon dealer.<br>

My mother in law was in the US for a vacation and she bought it for me at best buy store.<br>

Where and how will I be able to (eventually) send it for repair?</p>

<p>[sorry for my bad English, native language is Dutch] </p>

<p>Best Regards,<br>

Johnathan Chen</p>

<p>I will try and clean the contacts and will also try it on another body. Really hope it'll work! It's gonna be a real headache and a looong way to sent the lens for repair or to exchange it. <br>

Anything else i might consider?<br>

And is this a common problem? When I first noticed it I deed some web research and didn't see much issues with the AF not working. I've only seen issues with back (or front) focusing issues. </p>

<p>Have you check the settings on the camera? In addition to being on AF rather than MF, there are settings for single-shot AF and continuous AF, and also where 1) the camera will take a picture only if the lens has focused or 2) the camera will take a picture when you push the release regardless of whether the lens has focused.</p>

<p>I've cleaned the contacts on the lens and the body. Still nothing :(<br>

Also checked the settings. <br>

The body is working and auto focusing with my other lenses. <br>

And make sure battery is sufficiently charged. Really?? The battery is fully charged.</p>

<p>Any other recommendations how I could get it to work?</p>

<p>I'm really disappointed now, because if saved very long for this lens as it is very very expensive.<br>

And I really have no idea how I will send the lens back to the US for repair. That is my biggest concern.</p>

<p>You will have to contact Best Buy online and explain the situation. I would expect them to exchange the lens for another one. I've never had trouble with returning items to them. All you have to do is insure the package when you send it back. It's not as big a deal as you are making it seem. I have lenses here purchased from all over the world and have shipped lenses to far off remote places without problems. I don't see that you have much choice.</p>

<p>Thanks Gup.<br>

I will contact Best Buy.<br>

If I send the lens back to the Best Buy in the US, Miami , who is responsible for the costs made for shipping it towards them, costs for repair or exchange or any other costs that have to be paid in order to sent it to them, for them to recieve it, me getting the new or repaired lens shipped to me, etc? <br>

<br>

In the meantime (half an hour ago) I also contacted Nikon Support. Waiting for their reply.<br>

</p>

Contact the store first... and I'm afraid that you'll have to pay for the shipping from Surinam to the US. However, they ought to pay to send you a new lens back. Don't contact Nikon yet, and if you did, well. you can explain the case to them, but I doubt they'll do anything other than tell you to contact the store first.

On the good side, Best Buy should have a very generous return policy. It's probably not the best place to purchase this kind of gear, but at least they won't (or they shouldn't) give you a hard time when it comes to exchanging the lens. Best of luck!

<p>Thanks for your support guys.<br>

Friday I sent a mail to Best Buy. I hope they respond tomorrow.<br>

I did not try the lens on another body yet. </p>

<p>And it's really a pity if i have to take care of the cost myself. <br>

I can understand it somehow, but still it isn't my fault that I got a faulty lens.<br>

And also if it had been tested when purchased, everything would've worked fine. Cause it did on the first day. <br>

The problem occurred early on. For the same matter it could have been a year after purchase or so. </p>

<p>Anyways... I will await a reply from Best Buy.</p>

<p>I will try and clean the contacts and will also try it on another body. Really hope it'll work! It's gonna be a real headache and a looong way to sent the lens for repair or to exchange it. <br>

Anything else i might consider?<br>

And is this a common problem? When I first noticed it I deed some web research and didn't see much issues with the AF not working. I've only seen issues with back (or front) focusing issues. </p>

• 3 weeks later...