what lens to get next?

kylebybee

<p>Ok so I've got some money coming in soon, and I want to add to my lens collection. Currently I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC the newer one, and Nikon 35 f/1.8 DX and Tokina 11-16. What do y'all recommend? Thinking about a 50mm prime, 85mm prime or 100mm or so macro. The amount coming in is around $900.00. My camera is a D7000.</p>

<p>Are you just collecting lenses or are you shooting with them? You have the ranges of 11-300mm pretty well covered. So what are you shooting which your present lenses aren't sufficient for? Once you determine this, you can then narrow down the choices available to you. I just hate to see people throwing money at equipment which may be irrelevant or not really used, so give it some thought before parting with your hard earned money.</p>

<p>I would suggest that you put that $900 in the bank (or maybe buy some S&P 500 index mutual fund). I wouldn't buy any additional lens until you realize that what you currently have is preventing you from getting good images in a particular area, and I'll get a lens to plug that hole.</p>

<p>There doesn't seem to be any known hole at this point.</p>

<p>As I use to say, there is always a chance to spend money... a new lens, flash, tripod... bike, HiFi, surfboard... etc., etc., etc. (and I`m not including "real" needs like health or kid`s education expenses :)<br />So I`m with Shun, too; keep the money for the occasion you really feel you need something specific. Other than this, all is useless NAS. Yeah, free money burns, I know that feeling... :/</p>

<p>I shoot mostly out door stuff, landscapes, old houses, barns, flowers, old rusty cars, some people, just anything that comes our way when we set out. My wife and I drive all over our state and the surrounding states to see what we find. So in sounds like maybe I need to find a particular subject matter/style and then see what I need if anything. Thanks for keeping me in check.</p>

<p>Well, there is a lens that call my attention... although I have no intention of buying it (too much lenses to use!). It`s the Sigma 150 Apo Macro with tripod feet (I think Andrew G. has one of these). Another, the one I`d love to taste on my F3 (MF), the Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar.</p>

<p>Think of cameras as a SYSTEM. Instead of just buying lenses willy-nilly (if you KNEW you needed one, you wouldn't be asking,) think of what the weakest link is you have. I separate photo gear into these segments: lenses, camera, lighting system, tripod/head, software. Any more, I've been coming to the conclusion that money is BEST spent on travel to interesting places. My cliche' here is I'd rather have a $100 point & shoot and a ticket to Iceland than a D4 but no money to go anywhere. I'll get more interesting photos with the p&s.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>What Shun said. Your kit covers the basics very well; anything you add from here is to extend your creative options. So essentially specialty lenses - those you buy for a specific characteristic (i.e. large aperture, extreme reach, very specific rendering qualities and so on). The advantages of those is: once you know you want something like that, you usually know what to look for (budget becomes much more of an issue).<br>

Kent's point on travelling is also a good one, though I should say I get the best photos in places I studied well and know well. I rarely get the really good photos as a tourist seeing a place for the first time (and the gear indeed doesn't matter at all at that point. Still, using the money for gasoline in the tank and a night in a hotel to escape for a weekend gives me nicer photos and more memorable weekend than yet another lens.</p>

<p>As for the portrait lens suggestion of 50mm or 85mm - there is a lot of personal preference in that. Some people find 85mm too long on APS-C, some find 50mm too short. If you'd contemplate any of these options, I would first try extensively with the zooms you already own to understand which focal length works for you.</p>