Small point and shoot that can produce raw files and has a viewfinder

<p>I need a small camera that has a viewfinder, and which can produce raw files. Telephones fail on the viewfinder issue. On paper, the new Sony RX100 III seems ideal, and its size (given the size of its sensor) is amazing, but DPReview reported that's it not satisfying to use. It's also more expensive than other choices, although I'd pay that much if it were worth it. Right now I'm looking at the Canon G15 and G16. Don't want anything larger. The Olympus Stylus 1 and the Fuji X20 are too thick even for oversize pockets. Any other similar cameras I should consider?</p>

<p>I need this for when I am traveling very light, so the subjects can include landscapes, groups of people, and portraits. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.</p>

<p>Some other models you might want to look at include the Panasonic LF1 (Leica C) or ZS40 (TZ60), which are quite small though the EVF apparently isn't great.</p>

<p><a href="http://camerasize.com/compare/#555,456">http://camerasize.com/compare/#555,456</a></p>

<p>The Nikon P7800 might be a little large, but not much more so than the Canon G16.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.<br>

<br /><em>ps. No, we don't sell any of these cameras...</em></p>

<p>If I were planning to buy now, it would be a G15 or G16, as well. I currently have a X10, precursor to the X20. The X20 has its strong points, but it's larger, and there are fewer possibilities for software that can convert the X-Trans raw files.</p>

How many raw converters does one need? Adobe, Apple, Capture One, Silkypix, Iridient and some others all handle the

Fuji files (and probably the Canons as well). As far as I know the only major software that processes G15/16 files but not

X20 files is DXO.

<p>Hector, I don't have a good answer for you, but I can comment on my experiences with the G11. Although it has an optical VF, it's not a very good one. It's quite small and a bit distorted, and of course there's no indication in the VF of any aspect of focus, if you intend to focus anything manually. In fact there's no indication of anything useful you might find in the VF of a dSLR. There were a number of cheap 35mm P&S cameras from the 80's and 90's that frankly had better VF's, but of course they didn't have to zoom. Maybe the G series VF has improved with subsequent models? (Probably not...)</p>

<p>So the optical VF is really only useful for situations in which the light is too bright to see the LCD on the back of the camera, which is otherwise where all your useful info is. Well, I suppose it's also useful for prolonging battery life. To be perfectly honest, I would trade the optical VF on my G11 (which I initially thought would be important/useful) for a good EVF.</p>

<p>Otherwise the G11 is a really cool looking camera that you can feel cool using, and it does take good photos. However, there are some other cameras out there that I would maybe be more interested in using. Maybe there's an M-series in my future. Yes, I know it's harder to pocket, but I would only need to "purse" it. :-)</p>

There is no such thing as a perfect

camera and there are more

compromises with compact cameras

than larger ones. Given that the new

Sony RX 100 meets so many of your

requirements, perhaps you should take

another look and see if you can live

with the handling issues. Panasonic is

rumored to have a new compact

coming out shortly with a 1 inch sensor

which may be an interesting alternative

<p>Besides the pricey accessory shoe optical viewfinders, there's a fellow who makes crude, inexpensive but effective accessory shoe viewfinders. I'm planning to try one. <a href="http://www.fport.tk/"><strong>(LINK)</strong></a>.</p>

<p>Recently I modified a swiveling flash shoe accessory doodad to convert the base to a peep sight. It works well enough with my Fuji X-A1 that I may not even need an optical finder. I've added a marker to the lens hood, visible through the peep sight, which helps with quickly aligning and centering the photo. It's remarkably effective for wide angle to normal focal lengths when I don't want to hold the camera at arm's length.</p>

<p>In that situation I would charge up the batteries of my original Canon s20 and it slips in my larger shirt pockets... used to turn out A3 prints at exhibition quality back in the old days but unfortunately the optical viewfinder is just that and it only shoots jpgs. 3.3Mp.</p>

<p>Not that that is a problem for me as I never use the RAW files I have been shooting with FINE jpgs as a result of indocrination by fellow writers on blogs :)</p>

<p>I have the Canon G1X Mark I and it is a very nice little camera, a little chunkier than the normal G series but still just about goes in the coat pocket. Performance is generally excellent but the major frustration for me with the G1X Mk I is the poor macro / close up performance. So if you are thinking of doing much close up stuff I would look elsewhere otherwise it looks a good candidate for you.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I want to thank everyone again for your suggestions, and to let you know how it turned out. I first purchased a Canon G15, but it turned out to be too large for this purpose. (I carry a lot in my pockets, and there was no more room.) I returned the G15 and purchased the Panasonic LF1 suggested above. The size, given the zoom range, is incredible, and it provides surprisingly good quality. Just what I needed. Thank you.</p>