Risk in Photography

<p>There are two types of risk that seem to confront me frequently, and sometimes mean that I have't yet photographed in places I'd very much like to see.</p>

<p>The first is photographing in places which expose me to the risk of robbery or attack. Sometimes these places turn out to be much more benign than I'd expected/hoped. But sometimes not. For instance photographing in disused industrial locations in Romania can mean coming across gangs engaged in stripping anything of value out ( though mostly its gone) and could be expected not to relish the idea of being on camera. Equally there are some locations where it may be problematic to walk the streets alone early or late in the day. I've never been to Guatemala for that reason, though I have photographed reasonably extensively in parts of Mexico and Cuba without much concern. It would be fair to say although I'm a lot less risk-averse than some, my personal photography has been limited by apprehension .</p>

<p>The second is the risk of having to live and eat at a standard at which I feel uncomfortable. I have little issue with spending days in run-down areas, but (selfishly I know) I do prefer to be able to turn into a decent hotel and restaurant at the end of the day. I'm intolerant of poor cleanliness and don't eat street food or buffets , after having a couple of trips spoiled by acquired bugs. So for instance I'd love to photograph in the Dongchuan Red Lands in China and the rice terraces not too far away, but to do that you need to stay nearby in places where standards of cleanliness, comfort and hygiene are less than I'd want.</p>

<p>Its clear to me that my photography is limited by risk-possibly not as much as some, but still enough to have kept me away from places such as Detroit's abandoned buildings, some parts of Latin America that I'd happily go to in a sightseeing tour but not as a photographer tending to work alone of just with my wife at odd hours of the day, and certainly in Asia, where I've also canned a nice-looking trip to Myanmar due to concerns we both have over infrastructure.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>If cameras had existed in Medieval or Renaissance times, including more recent previous centuries when they did exist, risk conditions would almost certainly have been much worse than today. Perhaps aggression amongst humans today won't disappear completely when all mouths are fed equally and roofs above one's head are commonplace, but the lack of these essentials is a prime cause for crime and risk. While it can be more commonplace in more depressed regions, even the poorest regions of our own countries or towns can be the source of personal risk.</p>

<p>Some risks are very manageable, others are questionable and akin to that of seeing a major snowstorm or tornado arriving and weighing the risk of going out into it or not, or doing so without precautions. Knowing the territory and social conditions there, and/or having a guide that does, can minimize or avoid risk. Having a confident and relaxed walking gate, upright, and keeping the photography tools unconspicuous while not appearing as a stranger (clothes, accessories, behaviour), all seem to help in managing personal security types of risk.</p>

<p>Risk is about moving forward.</p>

<p>All progression is about risk; breaking the normality of the comfort zone......</p>

<p>All those in Art and Photography who are considered "great" have taken the risk of creating something new and different and gone against the excepted norms.</p>

<p>Risk in every sense of the word is about creativity.</p>

<p>"No artist is ahead of his time. He is his time. It is just that the others are behind the time." (Martha Graham)"</p>

<p>In the real world...not of just words... he/she is not ahead of anything they just have a more creative imaginations. They are not scared of going to different places because they do follow pre conceptions and norms of Art of the day. </p>

<p>\<br>

<em>"Every work of art is the child of its time; each period produces an art of its own, which cannot be repeated."</em> (Wassily Kandinsky)</p>

<p>Rubbish. Each period of Art does not exist it is only a continuum of creativity Only the human imagination exists within and out of time. Great Artists do not live in anytime frame they are far beyond that.</p>

<p><em>"The moment we live in is a great time to make art. We have different technologies to play with, and we're left with the opportunity to focus on our work."</em> (Jeff Koons)</p>

<p>And...the obvious.</p>

<p><em>"Art is an accurate statement of the time in which it was made."</em> (Robert Mapplethorpe)</p>

<p>Really, most Artists worthy of the word do not exist in anytime other than the time of their creativity and imagination. They step out of time.</p>

<p><em>"The great artists do not seek their forms in the midst of the past, but take the deepest soundings they can of the genuine, profoundest of their age."</em> (Franz Marc)</p>

<p>Methinks not. They do their own thing with only passing referenci to their so called time. </p>

<p><em>"I continue to make paintings of people and their moments in our time because I am of that time. Out of </em><br>

<em>that I hope to make picture</em></p>

<p>Timeless, is not being lost in your time.</p>

<p>It makes you wonder that the old times wisdoms... which folk throw about... as some sort of gospels that can never be challenged.</p>

<p>Generally, a nodding of heads, banally excepting that they have come from a higher place. </p>

<p>Just my thoughts right or wrong.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>Maybe the biggest risk is realizing your own limits. Maybe your technique is not as well developed as you imagined. Maybe you struggle to find interesting ideas.</p>

<p>This isn't necessarily a criticism of your potential, but rather a potential wake up call that you need to put more effort into your craft. Some people are uncomfortable when they receive such a call, but ultimately it can do a lot of good if you respond to it.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>Here in Australia, photography in public spaces is a risk, or can be. Police may ask what you're doing and ask for ID, and if you don't have any, they will put you in a holding cell. Other people might attempt bullying tactics to stop you. It's perfectly legal to photograph in a public space here, but at the same time it isn't without the risk.</p>

<p><em>It's always nice if others like your work, but more important to like it yourself.( Bill J.)</em><br>

I think trying new paths,and trying it with every photo you develop, without thinking if people will like it or not, is the best way to create.. The time is your time! the risk is yours..but what is important is to believe in your own/inner world,and in what you are creating, to express that inner one.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Hello people! This is my first ever post to a forum since I do not use the internet much and I'm not a very tech-savvy person. Today I decided to surf the net and luckily I came across your forum because I'm interested in photography and I want to gather more knowledge about it. I'm a single parent and that's why I don't have the time and resources to get some professional coaching so I thought maybe joining communities like yours would help me. It's been 2 years since I'm into all this and I still consider myself a novice so all I want from you guys is help, guidance, tips and tricks and photography advice. As far as the risks are concerned, I think that's the thrill in photography and this is what drives most of us. </p>