Borderline Classic

<p>You might wonder why borderline classic? Well, this camera was build in mid 80's, so it's there, but not quite there yet. I got this like new Yashica MAt 124G from Keh last February for 250 bucks. It was listed as Line New and it was. All is working, but the battery (Zinc Air) seem to die quite fast, so I opt for not using in-camera meter and use an external one. I shot with it maybe a dozen of times, but every time it produces great results. Last week I wanted to dust of my D300, but the 124g somehow got into my digital backpack and so did a roll of Pan + 50 ISO film. Well, in this case I had no choice buy use it along the side of my digital camera. I took it to the city to shoot inside churches and take few shots of the city's skyline. Here are some shots.<br>

First is Chicago's skyline. </p><div>00cHDW-544581084.jpg.876cb93dc4a3c4c94fd926d648e33c4b.jpg</div>

<p>Fantastic, from one Yashica lover to another! The Mat 124G does the job, the lens is excellent (as is attested by your fine shots), and as long as it's taken care of, the inner workings work just fine, despite the complaints you read about. Yours looks pristine, much nicer than mine, since I've had it since high school (the 70s) and it still soldiers on.</p>

<p>Nicely done Kris!</p>

<p>Congrats Kris on a nice deal. I guess like you said  few more years need to pass to call this a "classic" but the design and performance are legendary. IT is amazing waht a 2.8 viewer can do. When I first shot a Exakta with a waist level finder  I was blown away how bright the image was and gave all the credit to the funder... DUHH I was looking through a 2.8.Tessar and like you was used to the slower 3.5.view.  You images or rather results are great. Those interiors are envious. Were they hand held? A worthy investment in my eyes!!<br>

</p>

<p>Great tonality <strong>Kris</strong>, and no lack of sharpness. Challenging stuff, interiors of churches, and you've done very well, with the Yashinon displaying a very satisfactory lack of curvature. The first image and the courtyard pic would be my favourites. The 124G is one of the more attractive models, in my opinion, and yours really does look minty. Thanks for the post.</p>

<p>I think you could get by with calling it a true classic. It has roots going back to the 1950's with the original Yashicamat. The CDS metering is essentially unchanged from the typical late 60's to mid-70's CMC. Kind of a similar situation with the Nikon FM10, Ricoh KR5-II, Yashica FX-3 Super 2000, etc. Great results. In recent years, though, the prices of the Yashicamat 124G have been creeping upward to where a clean, working copy fetches more than the last new ones sold. However, they haven't hit the high prices of the Rolleiflexes yet so there's still time to snap one up at a good price. Thanks for posting.</p>

<p>This one takes me back a ways. At my first newspaper job at age 17 the chief photographer was a crusty old guy of about 35 or so, cigar in one hand and a Yaschicamat (that's what we always called them) in the other. I learned alot about developing film, a thicker skin, a sense of humor and how to cuss from Claude. I wonder where he ended up. Also learned how to put 120 film on a stainless spool after using the camera. He wouldn't do it for me and it took a very long half hour in the dark to figure it out. Very nice work with yours.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>Actually, the 124G was made 1970 to 1986 so the camera model is 44 years old. I think that is old enough to be a classic. :-) I bought a used one in excellent condition in 1997 for $125 including the original leather case. It is a nice camera. Since I started shooting digital though I haven't used film anymore.<br>

<br />Nice photos!</p>

<p>I think Olympus OM-1n was made up to 1987 and it is a classic. Cameras that are not battery dependant hark back to a simpler time. They are classic in nature. The Nikon FM10 is still available and is an example of this type of camera. I woiuld call it 'classic in nature' if that makes any sense. </p>

<p>As you can see, Kris was able to use his Yashica Mat very effectively without the meter battery installed and that makes it a classic. </p>

<p>Kris<br>

Lovely shots. And a beautiful camera. I have one and use it for portraiture. The lens is high contrast and gun sharp for a tessar design. I still use the in built meter with a CRIS (I think that's it - basically a diode that reduces the voltage), when I don't have a handheld one, but like to hand meter as it was never very accurate. Enjoy, it's a pleasure to use.<br>

Apiarist! (Arthur)</p>

<p>It has a CdS (cadmium sulfide) meter. I never even used it and never put a battery in mine. I would use an external light meter or use the Sunny 16 rule. If you shoot B&W negatives or color negatives you can get by pretty well if you just use the Sunny 16 rule. Also, the film boxes have an exposure guide that is based on the Sunny 16 rule (at least the old boxes had it, I don't know about now). Color slide film has less latitude so an exposure meter is much more helpful with it.<br>

<br />By the way, yes, 2014 - 1970 = 44 years.</p>

<p>My 124G from my late father-in-law was made in 1982 and had a full service in 2008. I went to use it just before Christmas to discover that the clouding on the rear element of the taking lens has reappeared. Grr!!! Although this is a commonly found problem with this model I had hoped the camera would go for more than 5 years before it happened again.<br>

Ah well, it's off for a clean again. My lens spanner isn't long enough for the job and this camera is over my threshold for DIY fixes. I prefer to tackle basket cases or far more modest cameras.<br>

PS The meter has been recalibrated for 1.5V but the acceptance angle of the meter doesn't inspire me with confidence when compared with SLR's or a Gossen Profisix meter. The Yashica tends towards underexposure. Probably too much influence from sky. I use sunny 16 and another meter - standalone or a camera.</p>