Your thoughts about manual focus lenses on digital bodies..is it a good idea?

rick_chen

On a Nikon Z7 I enlarge in the viewfinder, using the central focus point on the subject. Then focus, usually not needing the focus peaking color prompt. Then zoom back out to full frame view. Then recompose the image with the subject where I want it. Unless it is a wide open, fast lens this gives the subject in focus.

For static objects, it should be possible to move the focus point, zoom in, focus critically, and then take the picture without zooming back out. That still won't give precise image edge placement but is not too bad.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not really the point of this thread to weed out lenses suitable for digital use, but I can't help commenting on how good I find my 28mm f/2 AI-s Nikkor is on a digital camera.

Such a sharp little lens! Right into the corners at f/2. The only thing that lets it down is a slight warm - verging on brown - colour rendering. Not unpleasant and easily corrected, but out of line with the rest of my Nikkors.

It works well with either a full-frame DSLR or MILC, and not all lenses do. I can recommend grabbing one if the opportunity arises.

Does a mirrorless camera, like the Z6 or Z7, focus at the selected aperture?

within a certain range, yes.

More specifically, IIRC, then some cameras I have used or read about will use the working aperture down to f/5.6 or even f/8 before they stop-down no further during the focus process. One advantage is that focus-shift of a lens is easily corrected that way. I would consider having less light to focus in when the lens is stopped down a disadvantage - but apparently, the camera manufacturers think/know otherwise. It certainly is one major difference to viewfinder-AF in a DSLR that is always carried out with a fully open aperture on the lens.

28mm f/2 AI-s Nikkor

Good to know; thank you. The highly-acclaimed Ai-S Nikkor 28/2.8 unfortunately does not fare that well on a digital camera - especially not when used a near-infinity focus distances.

WOW, keh has one in EX condition for $320 - almost the same price range as the AF-S 28/1.8 ($360)! I guess quite a few people know about this lens being a gem?

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

I am admittedly in my early experiments with adapted lenses on my Nikon Z6II, but I think sensor stacks design/implementation has a huge influence on what works.

I had an Lumix GH-1 Micro4/3 on which anything shorter than 50mm (full frame) would yield smeared corners and I quickly lost interest in adapted lenses - this is said to have a very thick glass layer in front of the sensor.

Yesterday I put my Voigtlander 21/4 (the first LTM version) on the Z6ii and I was quite impressed. Despite its design for Leica film cameras with light hitting the sensor in a very obtuse angle, images came out very acceptable, I think it looked better than my adapted Nikkor 20/3.5 Ai - which wasn't too bad either.

Acquaintances using the same VC lens on a SONY a7 series 24MB BSI sensor camera (allegedly the same sensor as in the Nikon), were quite dissatisfied with their results.

I imagine there must be differences in lens stack design in play - or could it be software? I do program the focal length and aperture in the camera, but I thought it was just for EXIF ID and for the camera to know the focal length when applying minimum acceptable shutter speed in auto mode, and perhaps IBIS?

I also grabbed a few shots with my Voigtlander 12/5.6 (first LTM version) expecting the results to be useless, but they looked fairly good and the lens is worth further experiments.

My Nikon 28/2.8 AiS on the other hand was disappointing as others have reported. I love it on film but the corners looked bad in the z6ii - again, My Voigtlander 28/2 that was designed for Leica M film looked much better.

Niels

Does a mirrorless camera, like the Z6 or Z7, focus at the selected aperture?

When adapting lenses via dumb adapters the camera has no way of controlling the aperture.

As long as the lenses stops down to the selected aperture all focusing/metering etc. will be done at that aperture.

If the lens has a stop down mechanism & this isn't operated the lens will remain wide open what ever position the aperture ring is in.

When adapting lenses via dumb adapters the camera has no way of controlling the aperture.

Of course!

As long as the lenses stops down to the selected aperture all focusing/metering etc. will be done at that aperture.

Really?. If I select f32 on a Z7, are you saying it tries to AF with a lens stopped down to f32?

WOW, keh has one in EX condition for $320 - almost the same price range as the AF-S 28/1.8 ($360)! I guess quite a few people know about this lens being a gem?

I didn't realise it was on the 'desirable' radar Dieter. I bought mine years ago and don't bother price-checking unless I'm interested in buying or selling.

Maybe I'll sift though some stuff that I consider below par with a view to selling. Some people will buy any cr*p that they think is currently 'cool' or 'characterful'! :rolleyes:

Of course!

Really?. If I select f32 on a Z7, are you saying it tries to AF with a lens stopped down to f32?

Left it too late to edit my initial reply.

With a dumb adapter there is no AF. Focusing aids will all function irrespective of the aperture, but focus is much easier to pinpoint at wide apertures.

• Like 1

I guess that explains why the 28mm f/2 AI-S that i bought for $180 was a dog. Seller must have known it too.