M4 or M6 body better for Summicron 40-c?

lenore_thierry

<p>Hi all,<br>

I just acquired a Summicron 40mm-c and while I'm waiting for a case of film to arrive I'm wondering what your collective thoughts are on a few points:<br>

Should I alter the lens to bring up the 35 mm frame lines or leave it alone and over-compensate mentally when composing for the added space? How far off is it really? Will one body's viewfinder work better for the lens than the other's if I choose not to alter the frame lines?<br>

Feedback or information you guys have for the lens about these thoughts or any others is much appreciated.<br>

Happy New Year!</p>

<p>Just 3 of the many similar threads:<br>

<a href="/leica-rangefinders-forum/00DqbJ">http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00DqbJ</a><br>

<a href="/leica-rangefinders-forum/00KPdn">http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00KPdn</a><br>

<a href="/leica-rangefinders-forum/00Vx3K">http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00Vx3K</a></p>

<p>If I remember (and I may well not have good recall), the 40mm C lens will bring up the 50mm framelines of both cameras. By shooting inside the 35mm frameline, that might be OK for most viewing, but you will need to have the lens flange modified. Another solution would be to buy a 40mm add on VF (169$) from Voigtlander (as from cameraquest.com), set distance via the M4 or M6 VF-RF and view with the shoe mount brightline VF. The magnification of the VF is likely similar to that of the M4 and M6, possibly a bit higher as their 35 and 50mm VFs go between 0.68 and 1:1 magnification. Not 100% convenient, but it depends on the type of photography you practice.</p>

<p>Lenore, you might be interested that they come up occasionally in used condition on eBay. Presently there is one at about 130$ (slight cracks in the show mount base, mentioned by the US seller, that are probably easily repairable) and an older Yashica 40+75mm VF at about 70 or 80$ from a Middle East seller. I have had neither, but can vouch for the qualities of most Voigtlander-Cosina VFs. The Cameraquest price for a new one seems also quite reasonable. </p>

<p>Indeed I just got out my M2 and my CL with it's 40/2 and I tried it on both cameras. The 40 brings up the 50 frame line. In the CL finder, both a 40mm and a 50mm frame line comes up since Leica doesn't know which lens you are using. On the M2 it's the 50mm line which means you'd have to go a bit outside the line. </p>

<p>Now I know that the 40/2 is an exceedingly good lens, very sharp, and very small and light. But on the cameras you name you'll have the issue of having to shoot without a perfect frame line but it will work. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I heard that 40mm Rokkor or Summicron wont have accurate focusing on a body other than CL" <em><strong>Aykut K.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not necessarily so; you can make<strong> all</strong> including the 40mm units focus accurately.<br /> If the M3 or other non-CL or CLE units, aren't during the RF <strong>linearity stage calibration</strong>, carefully adjusted with dead-on accuracy, the 40mm lens will suffer from inaccuracy throughout the focus scale.</p>

<p>I use my 40mm Rokkor and 40mm CV primarily with my M6 and MP because its coverage is a good match for the 35mm framelines on those cameras; the framelines on which are downsized a bit from the M2 and M4. Of course, my 40mm lenses are modified to bring up the 35mm framelines.</p>