Help choose among 10 mirrorless cameras

<p>Hi, guys!<br>

After years of using the camera in my phone, I decided to buy something more. I intend to learn about photography and I have a basic understanding. This is why I decided to go with a mirrorless camera that will still allow me to change lenses and tinker with settings. This is for portraits mainly but should be considered something that will allow me to learn and progress. Setting focus and metering point with a touchscreen is a plus but not a must. Video only occasional.<br>

Because these are in my price range at the local retailer's (I am not going to buy it online due to reasons), I have 10 models to choose from. Can you make a suggestion for one of these?</p>

<p><strong>PANASONIC DMC-GF5KEG-K</strong><br /><strong>PANASONIC DMC-G3K EG-K</strong><br /><strong>NIKON 1 J2 </strong><br /><strong>NIKON 1 J3</strong><br /><strong>CANON EOS M</strong><br /><strong>SAMSUNG NX1000</strong><br /><strong>SONY Alpha a3000</strong><br /><strong>SONY NEX-3NLB </strong><br /><strong>OLYMPUS E-PM1</strong><br /><strong>OLYMPUS E-P3</strong></p>

<p>Given you haven't yet managed to narrow down your selection based on features, I suggest you read up on each model and then go to a local store and actually try some of them hands on....ergonomics are almost as important as the technical characteristics for many people. You will get kudos from people on each model, but think carefully about the features which are most important to you, personally. There are good choices among your list, but some wouldn't work for me because of the features I find most conducive to my particular work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...you're not buying a camera, you're buying into a system."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The system isn't as much a factor with mirrorless cameras as it is with dSLRs. Affordable adapters are available for many mirrorless models, especially the Micro 4:3 systems, so folks aren't locked into the systems. And many folks who get mirrorless cameras are primarily looking for better image quality than they're getting with cell phones and teensy sensor P&S digicams. Any system may not even be a factor for some folks.</p>

<p>The Canon EOS M may be the best value in an APS sensor mirrorless camera right now with prices ranging between $300-$400 with the kit zoom. I know of several experienced photographers, including some street and candid shooters, who've used the EOS M and liked it. It was a better deal a few months ago when the price was even lower, but at under $400 it's still an excellent value. Be sure to read the reviews, including comments about the autofocus speed and how much the firmware upgrade helped. Also, keep in mind there's no built-in flash.</p>

<p>The Nikon 1 System, including the J-series, are point and shoot cameras on steroids. Ultra-quick autofocus and shutter response, good continuous framerates. But don't worry about the "system". Just think of these as advanced P&S cameras with slightly larger sensors than most teensy sensor digicams. That's how I use my V1 and really enjoy it. I have an inexpensive manual-everything Fotodiox adapter for use with my manual focus Nikkors, but I don't plan to invest heavily in the Nikon 1 System lenses.</p>

<p>Of the other models, I'd lean toward Olympus Micro 4:3 models simply because I like the look of Olympus JPEGs straight from the camera, and their overall design and handling.</p>

<p>The E-PM1 and E-P3 should be dropped in favor of the E-PM2 which has a better sensor and better image stabilization. The Sony A3000 while cheap is, well, cheap and you can do far better for your money. There's no reason to buy the Nikon J2 with the J3 available as it's a much better camera. <br>

So, you're down to 7 instead of 10 which is an improvement. </p>

<p>I belileve the micro 4/3rds system has the most number of lenses, so in that respect the Panasonic or Olympus would be my choice. But it really does depend on how the cameras feel and your budget. </p>

<p>personally, if i was just starting, with that budget, i'd get a fuji x-a1 or x-m1, as they have the best IQ, best low-light performance, and some really good glass, including the best kit lenses in the mirrorless market. if you really want to get into portraits, the just-announced 56/1.2 is gonna be one of the best setups going. i wouldnt get any m4/3 camera without at least the 16mp sensor, which means not going back more than 1 generation.</p>

Nikon 1 cameras have amazingly fast autofocus and the 18.5mm lens (50mm equivalent) is a super sharp lens, great for

portraits. I have a V1 and have been enjoying it immensely....but I'm slightly biased towards Nikon because that's the only

camera brand I've ever used, 35mm and digital, except a short foray into the Leica world. I think the images produced by

the Nikon 1 cameras have a "film like" look to them which I love but I understand might not be to everyone's taste. I

haven't used a J1 or J3 but I think they'd perform just as good as the V1/V2. I like the V line because they have the

viewfinder and a hotshoe for the little flash units, which makes a huge difference shooting in low light/indoors, obviously.

<p>You really should narrow down the list after some readings: <br>

http://www.dpreview.com/?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=logo&utm_medium=image&ref=logo<br>

Right now I can only comment on the m4/3 cameras that you listed that they all used the "older" sensor, which is why they are the cheapest in the store. If money is an issue, try the Olympus E-PM2, it is in the low $400 range, I think. No matter what system you pick, you should add a fast walk around prime lens to really take advantage of using these system cameras to shoot in low light with the shallow DOF effect. For the m4/3, the 20/1.7 lens is wonderful for $400 so you need to factor that in in your budget. </p>

<p>If you want to save quite a lot of money, you could do a lot worse than a Panny GX1. This has been bettered by other camera designs in recent years but is a wonderfully competent body with full ergo and good AF. I personally have little problem with the IQ (check out my photostream or Flickr page for real-world examples- any file with the P---------- serial number is from the GX1) and it is a joy to use with a good lens. The E-PL5 is also very good of course but I didn't quite connect with it and you might want to use the money saved on a better lens, which you will be able to use for a long time to come. I had a quick play wth a GX7 but with no increased SNR or detail I felt it was not worth upgrading this round. Maybe when the GX8 comes out.</p>

<p>'Buying into a system' is correct if you are likely to be a dedicated enthusiast but for many people just one lens is all they will ever need so is irrelevant. I would discard all models which don't have an an EVF, I see no point in getting a mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor as the glass is pretty much the same. Smaller than MFT is not much improvement over a P&S so that also helps to narrow the field :-) Those are my bias's as a MFT user. I used to have a G3 but changed to the GH for the greater number of external controls which appeals to me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Check out the Oly E-PL5. It a far superior camera to either of the Olys on your list. It has been overshadowed by the Oly EM5 and EP5, but uses the same sensor and IQ is the same.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1 It's an exceptionally good little camera with the performance, image quality and customisability of the expensive bodies. The negative side is that it's controls are a bit fiddly if you have fingers like cows tits.</p>

<p>Since you have direct access to try these out in the store, I'd say pick the one that feels good in your hands and the controls seem intuitive.</p>

<p>The Panasonic Lumix G3 and Sony a3000 are the only ones including EVF (eye-level electronic viewfinder). In my mind this is a fairly substantial differentiator, though they will also likely be the largest of these cameras.</p>

<p>The G3 is above-average in this pack for features and on-body controls, and in addition to the EVF also includes an articulated touchscreen. The sensor is a little dated compared to some of the more recent cameras here but it's still pretty good.</p>

<p>The Sonys, Canon, and Samsung have the largest sensors, the Nikon 1 cameras the smallest, though still significantly larger than most point & shoot digicams. The Nikon 1 has good automatic modes and excellent speed and autofocus but relatively poor access to traditional photographic control.</p>

<p>I lean towards the G3 (this is what I bought my wife a few years ago) it's essentially like a DSLR only a bit smaller. If the EVF was unimportant to me or I really was leaning towards one of the smaller models then it might be a harder choice. The Sonys probably have the best (and largest) sensors here but I don't generally care for their control scheme and menus.</p>

<p>A standard hotshoe would also be a plus in my book -- even if you don't use it immediately or often, I think the ability to use bounce or off-camera flash is a big differentiator vs. point & shoot digicams.</p>

<p>In this list, the more full-featured cameras tend to be a little dated (the Panasonic and Olympus models) though they'll still work well.</p>