Refilling Ink Cartridges

<p>What do you think about refilling printer ink cartridges instead of buying brand-new ones? I've never done it, but one of the six colors in my Canon Pixma inkjet is running low and I've seen those places around town.</p>

<p>Many thanks.</p>

<p>I'm not sure about your printer and cartridges. My printer has the print heads built on the cartridges, so even if the refill damages the head, a new genuine cartridge solves the problem.<br>

A possible issue is that you might need to recalibrate your display/printer whenever you change the ink you use. I suggest buy sufficient amount of ink and stick with it for the whole year. <br /></p>

<p>I don't own a Canon Pixma. I can't say whether third party ink for it is good or not. I have used a lot of third party ink, mostly from Jon Cone, for Epson's and Roland's. I can't imagine using anything else for what I do.</p>

<p>However, I will say that it does NOT void the warranty, no matter what a manufacturer says. We are all protected by the Manuson-Moss Warranty Act. We get to decide what kind of gasoline we put in our cars, what kind of toast we put in our toasters and what kind of ink we put in our printers.</p>

<p>Lenny is correct about warranty issues. It's more about issues with the cart's and printer, consistency etc. The time I did buy 3rd party cart's, it was a nightmare, much to do I suspect with the printer knowing it wasn't getting the right cart and making all kinds of error messages about being out of ink etc. The little money I saved wasn't worth all the error messages and headache’s. You got the printer at cost, the company makes money on the inks. That's their model and they go out of their way to keep you from doing so which is their right to do. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Sorry, spelling error, that's Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, just in case anyone wanted to look it up.</p>

<p>As far as 3rd party inks go, one of the reasons to choose one printer over another is whether or not it supports the ink set you want, from a reliable source (vs just some cheap ink place). And, as I said, I defer to everyone else experienced with this type of printer.</p>

<p><em>However, I will say that it does NOT void the warranty, no matter what a manufacturer says. We are all protected by the Manuson-Moss Warranty Act. We get to decide what kind of gasoline we put in our cars, what kind of toast we put in our toasters and what kind of ink we put in our printers.</em><br>

I would be astounded if any printer manufacturer in Europe honored a warranty for a printer that had been operated with non-OEM cartridges. The above examples are I believe specious - an automaker is unlikely to specify a brand of gasoline but is certain to expect that you fill your car with gas that conforms to industry standards (DIN/ISO standards in Europe). Use 80-octane non-additive Eastern-European-style gas and you're on your own. Similarly with toasters, you can put in any kind of bread but not wet fish or any other damaging substance. If your printer has cartridges with integral printer heads, this obviously reduces the risk of terminal blockages but leaves the door wide open for damaging interaction between the chips on the cartridges and the logic circuitry in the printer.</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

<p>My Pixma Pro9000 is driving me crazy with ink waste. Before and after weights of cartridges are 27g to 17g, leaving nearly half the ink in the sponge.</p>

<p>Anyone know which refill inks are the highest quality? Somebody recommended inksupply.com. Their 5 year old vid has one thumbs up and no comments. Kind of scary.</p>

<p>Any other refill sellers recommended for Canon?</p>

<p>I contacted them and asked about quality and whether individual refills were available after kit ink ran out. Just got this quick and helpful reply from them. Sounds worth trying :-)</p>

<p>"Yes you can buy any of the bulk inks in separate bottles. All of the 9000 products including the bulk inks can be found at this page - ww.inksupply.com/printer_products/p/Canon_PIXMA_Pro9000.html<br>

<br>

All of the different inks we produce here in office are made to match OEM sepcs for specific inks. Our CLI8 inks are a direct replacement for the Canon ChromaLife100 inks and follow the same formulation and characteristics. For more information on that specific ink set you can check out this page - <a href="http://www.inksupply.com/canon_cl100_dyebase_ink.cfm" target="_blank">www.inksupply.com/canon_cl100_dyebase_ink.cfm</a> "<br /></p>