Sandoval is gorgeous in a mopey sort of way. But she prefers performing

with only a dim blue light onstage. And they're almost motionless. Moody

and almost impossible to see anything.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>If Tim wants to photograph Audrey Hepburn, more power to him. I'll give him an inch or two on the "precision" of his answer. Go Tim!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well then maybe the question should have been "Who would you like to photograph?" without the qualifiers in the original post.</p>

<blockquote>Hope Sandoval is gorgeous in a mopey sort of way. But she prefers performing with only a dim blue light onstage. And they're almost motionless.</blockquote>

<p>I was going to mention Sandoval also. Same thing as Portishead.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Audrey Hepburn did live concerts? She didn't even do her own singing in movies, Marni Nixon did it for her.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oops! Sorry about that. At first I didn't catch on to what Jeff was talking about until I went back and reread the topic and noticed that one line in Sanford's original post...<em>"In a live concert with full access."</em><br /> <br /> Geez! I must be going blind or suffering from Off Topic forum withdrawal. ;)</p>

<p>Thanks, Fred, for backing me up on my choice of photographing Audrey Hepburn. </p>

<p>There are a few other acts who seem like they'd be fun and photogenic for an all access photo pass:<br>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOpYh30ZN5w">Flaming Lips</a> - But I already get the same hippie-trippy vibe from Hip Pocket Theatre, with better seats, and I already know folks there.<br>

<a href="

Antwoord</a> - Even my mom likes 'em, although she says Ninja's and Yo-Landi's singing sounds like a cat fight.<br>

<a href="

Ray</a> - Karin wears great costumes, but the stage lighting would be hell to photograph. Backstage and other photos would be interesting.</p>

<p>James (Jim) Johnson-- if you want to see some behind the scenes stuff with Janis, see if you can find <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_Express">a documentary called, "Festival Express."</a> All kinds of great stuff with Janice hanging with the other bands' members on a train ride through Canada. <br>

From the wiki page for the movie--<br /><em><strong>Festival Express</strong></em> is a 2003 documentary film about the 1970 train tour of the same name across <a title="Canada" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada">Canada</a> taken by some of North America's most popular rock bands, including The <a title="Grateful Dead" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead">Grateful Dead</a>, <a title="Janis Joplin" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janis_Joplin">Janis Joplin</a>, <a title="The Band" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Band">The Band</a> and <a title="Delaney & Bonnie" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaney_%26_Bonnie">Delaney & Bonnie & Friends</a>. The film combines live footage shot during the 1970 concerts, as well as footage aboard the train itself, interspersed with present-day interviews with tour participants sharing their often humorous recollections of the events.</p>

<p>I would go far away from people who subject to myths and public figuring: in short "people", type of personalities. Their image is already contaminated by what people expect to see and what others have made of them, whatever you as photographer try to do. Marlene Dietrich is a good example of such "people", who is subject to a very good discussion elsewhere in the forum.<br>

<br>

I would rather choose among less photographed authors, composers, classical music musicians, jazz musicians, but far away from their scene performance, scientists, artists, local heroes type of personalities etc. Individuals who have shown their creativity, each in their specific area. The choice is unlimited in that sense. <br>

</p>

<p>Another vote for Hendrix.<br /> <br />In case you missed the PBS 2 hour Hendrix special "Hear My Train A Comin'' at the beginning of the month here is the whole show. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/jimi-hendrix/film-jimi-hendrix-hear-my-train-a-comin/2756/<br /> This was by far the best film I have ever seen about Hendrix. Plenty of photos and footage that I have never seen before. <br /> Hendrix was my idol and totally changed the world of music for me. Caught his show at Atlanta Pop Festival July 4th, 1970. The sky lit up with fireworks as he started playing the Star Spangled Banner. A few months later he was dead. Not ashamed to admit that I cried when I heard the news. I cannot even imagine the magic that he would of created if were still alive. I wish we could get a decent movie on the life of Hendrix that actually used Hendrix music and had someone that looked and played 1/2 as good as Jimi. The Hendrix TV Movie/ 2000 was awful. I expect the Andre 3000 playing Hendrix in 'All Is By My Side' to also be a flop. This flick will not feature any Hendrix songs. A few years ago I heard rumor that Oliver Stone was going to do a Hendrix movie. Will Janie Hendrix and the rest of the Hendrix estate ever permit a classic movie to be made. The family owes it to Hendrix and us to make a movie worthy of those that still worship him and to show the youngsters what they missed. I want to be blown away the way that Jamie Foxx did while playing Ray Charles. Fox became Ray Charles!</p>

<p>I'll choose an all-access pass to the Woodstock festival. No one show or one artist has shaped my world like that weekend has. This way I cover Jimi, The Who, Alvin Lee, Santana, Sly, CSNY, etc. <br>

I visited the site some years back and met people living there that arrived for the show and never left. I purchased a T-shirt screened from the original screen and a show poster that I treasure. And I have always avoided the brown acid.</p>

<p>I keep thinking of more concerts that would be fun for an all access pass: Anything with <a href="
Ava Pine</a>, especially The Marriage of Figaro, or The Magic Flute. Either would be fun to photograph backstage as well. Ava is relatively new to opera but already has the commanding voice and stage presence of a veteran and an expressive face.</p>

<p>Gup, Ten Years After was also at Atlanta Pop Festival. As mentioned earlier I watched Hendrix perform there. I'm wondering how in the world did I miss Alvin Lee? He certainly would of been my next favorite at the show.<br />Maybe I saw him but the fog created by all the ''smoke'' blurred my vision, hearing and memory:)<br /><br /><br />After watching the specials on TV the last few days I am thinking, it would of been amazing to of photographed candid pix of President John F. Kennedy and his family. <br />How did 50 years go by so fast?<br /></p>

<p>John, I don't have any shots of Alvin Lee, he was so expressive in performance. I'm sure his facial contortions were as important as his fingers in coaxing those blues riffs from that famous Gibson. I do however have some of Santana, the Stones, the Clash, the Who, Iggy Pop. Not backstage but fairly close-up. I would smuggle my Minolta in one pant leg and a zoom in the other and recruit a friend with broad shoulders for a perch. Forty years later and I'm still at it, although the camera is much smaller and I no longer have to smuggle film.</p><div>00cBKu-543751684.jpg.4e7ff6599e00fe19a1ae756f7956e06e.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shots, guys! I would absolutely love to shoot stills of guitarist, Orianthi someday (I have shot her for TV). I've actually been meaning to cold-call her publicist, since he lives in the same city as me. If you like rock guitar, and pretty girls with a mean axe (and an awesome Engl stack), check out her "Highly Strung" video (featuring Steve Vai):</p>

<p>