Voigtlander vito II camera

User_2019667

<p>I just acquired a very nice Voigtlander II camera and while checking things out I pulled down the Shutter Tension lever<br>

and I'm trying to figure out how to release it. There is no film in the camera at present.<br>

Do I need to have film in order for the shutter to work? <br>

Help. </p>

<p>The camera has double-exposure prevention, which also prevents the camera from "dry firing" (without film having been advanced.) This is common on cameras of the era.</p>

<p>To fire the shutter, open the back of the camera. You will see a toothed wheel in the path of the film, which when film is loaded and being advanced, the sprocket holes of the film would rotate the sprocket. Use your thumb to rotate that wheel, from left to right. It should rotate half a turn or 3/4 of a turn, and then stop. At this point, the double-exposure prevention is disengaged, and you can fire the shutter.</p>

<p>You will have to rotate that wheel every time you want to fire the shutter (for example to test the shutter speeds.)</p>

<p>I have a Vito II, and it looks like a great camera, but I haven't tested it yet. It seems comparable to the early Zeiss 35 Contina which I also have.</p>

<p>The toothed shaft that advances the film and exposure counter also charges the shutter release. To test the shutter with no film in the camera, open the back and manually rotate the shaft until it locks. The shutter should now work (assuming the shutter tension lever has also been engaged).</p>

<p>David and Gordon,<br>

Thanks so much for your quick response to my plea for help. <br>

I have never had a Voigtlander camera before and I was stymied by that shutter tension lever and why the shutter wasn't working. The shutter seems to be working fine now. Not too sure about its accuracy but because of your responses to my question I am ready to get a roll of film and give it a try. </p>

<p>Thanks again<br>

John</p>

<p>John: I have this very camera with f3.5 Skopar and Compur shutter. Save for not having a rangefinder, using hyperfocal distance settings the images are fabulous. For the $15 I paid at a flea market it's turned out to be as good as my Rollei 35 with 40mm f2.8 Tessar and the Vito being a folder and not heavy, truly is a pocket camera!</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

You did get a great deal. I had to pay $25.00 for mine just today at a yard sale. I always ask the home owners when I go to a yard sale if they have any old 35mm cameras sitting around that they don't use any more. Well the man says "I think I have an old German Camera in the house".. With that I started to salivate. I've had a couple old Leica's in the past but never had a Voigtlander. I like the results that you get from the old rangefinders. The Voigtlander will be a lot easier loading film into it. <br>

Thanks for your response Paul. <br>

John<br>

</p>