Do you always have a camera with you when you leave the house?

david_kaye

<p>When I'm out in the car, I always have my Canon superzoom SX30 in its smallish bag, slung over the seat headrest. Quick and easy to access, and since the bag is dark blue and the car interior is black, it is almost impossible to see from the outside. And there's the tinted rear windows too. I've used it a bunch of times, glad to have it nearby.</p>

<p>Back in my newspaper days I usually my bag with a couple of Nikon bodies, three or four lenses and a flash in the trunk of the car almost all the time. Since then, I usually only carrry a camera when I'm specically going out to shoot, or at least to something where I think I might want to. Of course I have the iPhone with me almost 24/7. I don't really count that as a camera, but have to admit that more and more of my family snapshots are shot that way. And if you use it properly you can get some surprisingly good images out of it.</p>

<p>Yes, cell phone. Anything else? No. Are you crazy? Lol. I shoot digital and film and I worry about theft. But what really concerns me is the weather. I would not subject my equipment to baking in my glove box or trunk in the summer and in the winter the temperature and humidity shifts of taking film in and out of climate controlled areas ain't good for condensation. I've ruined frames of film doing this. During milder seasons in low crime areas I will toss the camera bag in the trunk but really the interior of a car can get pretty hot even on mild days. That's why you can't leave kids in the car even when it doesn't seem that warm outside. A little direct sunlight and you have a nice green house on wheels.</p>

<p>On weekdays I throw the camera bag in the boot (trunk) only when I think the light (or cloud formations) is going to be interesting <strong>and</strong> I think I'll have time to stop on my way too/from work.</p>

<p>On days off I only take the full kit when I am going out to deliberately take photos. For dog walks and family stuff I will sometimes take the D90 with just one lens (either the 35mm prime or 10-20mm zoom). I like to keep it simple. </p>

<p>However, most of the time its just my rather poor phone camera with me. I am always seeing photos I could take. Not having the camera forces me to enjoy looking! </p>

<p>I'm an airline crewmember and I always take one with me on trips which are normally three days, every week; a great many of my shots are taken during overnight layovers. It's either my M6, one of my Pentaxes (ME/MX), a TL-Electro or a Zeiss A531 Super Ikonta (which folds smaller than my 35mm cameras) depending on what mood I'm in to take along.</p>

<p>Yes, I always have a camera with me. During the week I carry my camera bag with me to work and usually have my 7D and a lens, a film camera of some kind (a Retina IIIS this week), and lately my EOS-M with the 22mm f/2, which seems to be getting more use than any of the others by far. I also have my iPhone 4 on me all the time and unlike some people, I do consider it to be a very useful camera, one that I really enjoy using actually. I've used a lot of different PowerShots as my go-everywhere compact cameras but the EOS-M is taking over that duty.</p>

<p>No.</p>

<p>I plan in advance when I want to shoot and I take my gear with me on those occasions. The rest of the time, I enjoy the world without photographing it. Opportunities slip past from time to time, but nothing that I ever end up missing. I prefer to shoot when I can give my complete attention to the process.</p>

I bought the iPhone 5 because it has the best camera. Its panoramic feature is pretty neat. The iPad 4 also has a nice

camera, and a great display. My Canon ELPH 330 is smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

When I go on a photo expedition, I would turn to my Nikon D700, or for film, my Nikon F100.

I live in a suburb of Seattle, and when the sun is shining, it is close to Heaven. I often use the Starbucks drive through,

and I have snapped some stunning girls, with their permission of course.

It doesn't hurt to be ready. I once snapped a large black bear that was walking though a fiel. Few miles way. Driving east

toward the cascades, it is not uncommon to spot an elk.

<p>Almost always the 7D and three lenses. Sometimes the 40D and a Sony HD Camcorder, a Zoom H4N audio recorder and my big Cyber backpack and a Canon Bag of lenses and gear too. There is usually two tripods, one mono pod in the car. In my pocket always one iPhone and one Samsung Galaxy S2 which I have been having a blast playing with several fun camera apps.<br>

No, I don't think I have a camera problem. No I am not ready to go to photographers anonymous.<br>

"Hello, my name is Mark and I am a cameraholic."<br>

Everyone chime in. "Hello, Mark"</p>

Cheers, Mark

<blockquote>

<p>"Being a 24/7 caregiver, I do not carry a camera with me.<br /> I use photography as a diversion from the every day problems."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's been one of my primary occupations for almost 20 years, with three different family members. Family documentary photography has been part of the daily experience, although I've posted or published very little of it anywhere. Often it seems too personal and it's difficult to get a perspective.</p>

<p>It's also affected my preferences for equipment, mostly small cameras now. It's not so much about discretion, since folks already know I'm taking photos. It's just more convenient, readily available and even a tiny sensor P&S digicam is good enough for this.</p>

<p>Even though I've been doing this for a long time I'm still learning from other photographers. Here are a few documentary photographers whose work I really admire and respect, whose focus also includes documenting the health struggles of family and friends. I get a lot of inspiration from their sense of empathy and even unexpected touches of gentle humor in the midst of difficult situations:<br /> <a href="http://petapixel.com/2013/06/18/interview-with-jim-mortram-of-small-town-inertia/"><strong>Jim Mortram</strong></a>, a full-time carer who branched out from documenting the struggles of family members to his surrounding community of people struggling on the fringes of society and the economy.</p>

<p><a href="http://mywifesfightwithbreastcancer.com/"><strong>Angelo Merendino</strong></a>, who documented his wife's struggles with breast cancer until her death at age 40.</p>

<p>Photojournalist <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/christopher-capozziello_n_3831550.html"><strong>Christopher Coppoziello</strong></a>'s photos of his twin brother, Nick, who's had cerebral palsy since childhood.</p>

• 1 year later...