Nikon Pure Photography

Dieter Schaefer

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>All that I am finding is this on a site whose reliability I cannot verify. I will offer the summary rather than the full list of specs, since this seems to go to the core of it:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With such an impressive sensor and retro style lightweight body, you might be wondering who this camera is aimed for. While the Nikon DF will be usable for pretty much any kind of photography, the fact that it has a low-noise 16 MP sensor means that it will be ideal for any kind of low-light photography. This includes <strong>wedding, event, documentary, travel, street and many other types of photography</strong>. And although it is not particularly a sports and wildlife camera due to its MultiCAM 4800FX autofocus system used on the D610 (compared to the 51-point AF system used on the D4), I am sure it will do quite well for those needs as well, as demonstrated in my Nikon D610 review. The only market the Nikon DF does not target is landscape, architecture and studio photography – for those needs the Nikon D800/D800E will still remain as the primary choice, thanks to the high-resolution 36 MP sensor.</p>

<p>In short, the Nikon DF will appeal to a huge market of photographers that need the best image quality (especially in low-light conditions), minus the bulk and weight of a pro-level DSLR. And if priced right, the Nikon DF will be a wedding photographer’s dream come true. People photographers that have been waiting for the Nikon D700 replacement – the Nikon DF is basically it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If this should turn out to be true, it would seem to give the same image quality and low-light capability of the D4 without the better auto-focus, weather-sealing, etc.--and I would presume without the high FPS number as the D4.</p>

<p>If it should turn out to be true. . .</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Lannie - there is NO place that is reliable for information that is rumored for an un-announced camera, but from the site that shall Nameless Remain:</p>

<ul>

<li>The new camera will be called <strong>Nikon DF</strong> which stand for "<em>Digital Fusion</em>"</li>

<li>Nikon FM2 like design, but with a larger pentaprism</li>

<li>Most likely be available in two colors - all black and silver/black (a.k.a. as Panda version)</li>

<li>Standard Nikon F-mount</li>

<li>Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)</li>

<li>16.2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)</li>

<li>The AF system of the Nikon DF will be most likely the same as in the D610 with 39 points</li>

<li>SD memory card</li>

<li>2016-pixel RGB image sensor</li>

<li>9-cell framing grid display</li>

<li>3D color matrix metering II</li>

<li>Native ISO range: 100-12,800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 102,400)</li>

<li>5.5 fps for up to 100 shots</li>

<li>3.2" LCD screen</li>

<li>Expeed 3 processor</li>

<li>Battery:EN-EL14</li>

<li>Dimensions: 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm</li>

<li>Weight: 765g</li>

<li>No video recording capabilities</li>

<li>The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture</li>

<li>The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body</li>

<li>The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)</li>

<li>Nikon calls it a "<em>hybrid</em>" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that</li>

<li>The Nikon DF will have settings for 1:1, 3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratios</li>

<li>The announcement will be on November 5th right on time for <em>Le Salon de la Photo</em> show that will take place in Paris (November 7-11, 2013)</li>

</ul>

<p>That's as good as it gets for now. Lots of mysteries to solve for sure even with the above non-confirmed specs.</p>

<p>Thank you, John. If that turns out to be correct, it could be a poor man's D4, in the same way that the D700 was the poor man's D3--but poor is relative, and so now comes the next big question:<br /> <br /> <strong>PRICE POINT??</strong></p>

<p>Some people are saying the high teens, but I am guessing somewhat higher--if these specs are correct.<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>As one who shoots the D3s a lot at night, I have to say that sometimes a few more pixels could be handy--and I frankly do not typically need the high frame rate of the D3s or the D4.</p>

<p>So, if these specs are correct, count me among the highly interested. If one is not a low light shooter, on the other hand, then perhaps the D610 would be better--again, <strong><em>IF</em></strong> these specs should turn out to be accurate.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Most of these specs are mere speculation and wishful thinking at this point - the only thing that can be confirmed is that the camera looks retro, has an F-mount, and comes with a newly styled 50/1.8G AF-S lens. Nikon hasn't made any mentioning of which sensor, which AF system, called it a "hybrid", given a weight or dimension (though one can guess based on the images provided in the video), or even the name of the camera.</p>

<p>I really wished John hadn't posted those "specs" here as I am afraid that Shun will lock this thread down now - this site isn't meant to be used to spread rumors.</p>

<p>Thanks, Dieter. So, based on the videos released by Nikon, we can only confirm what it looks like, but nothing else--but that is not interesting to me!</p>

<p>I have to say that there is a certain freedom in having a good low light camera, and so I personally hope that the specs are accurate--rumor though they may be at this point.</p>

<p>Of course, everyone is reading into this thing what they want by way of specs. . . .</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Lannie, I am not sure how advertising is supposed to work - I assume that these videos are supposed to get you wildly excited about this new camera that looks like something from the past and that you apparently can use to take pictures of landscape, fishermen, and cityscape. And of something that is only lit by a camp fire and lit tent. You might need to spot a three-day beard in order to buy one - but that's just a speculation on my part ;-)</p>

<p>Nikon may settle for us all talking about it - and a few of us hopefully buying one (once we learned what's special about it). Maybe they also like a few of us to rethink the putting orders in for the new Sony full frame cameras or the OM-D E-M1 (the name alone scare me off already; can we have some more alphabet soup please!)</p>

<p>Of course, there is the off chance that Nikon hasn't actually finalized the specs yet and uses the internet chatter to sort through the various options - but I wouldn't count on it ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I really wished John hadn't posted those "specs" here as I am afraid that Shun will lock this thread down now - this site isn't meant to be used to spread rumors.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, well, I can no longer edit it. Shun can delete it if he wants. <br>

Not sure where the line is to cross to not spread rumors. So if I talk about it having 16MP in a paragraph in a post is that different than listing it in a bulleted list? I didn't link to anything either. Much of this thread is speculation and hence is spreading rumors.</p>

<p>Don't worry about it. If all rumors threads were as civil and humorous as this one there wouldn't be any problems. </p>

<p>The main reasons the rumors threads were discouraged was because of spamming by the first rumors sites (which they don't do anymore - they're essentially mainstream now), and because a handful of folks who <del>enjoyed</del> were addicted to rumors threads behaved like bratty kids loaded up on too much sugar and not enough sleep. I don't want to name names but if you dig around the mirrorless forum you'll find remnants of threads with people cussing at and flaming each other over silly rumors. Hey, I like toys as much as the next kid, but not enough to toss a bug-eyed hissy fit over it.</p>

<p>Well, #5 is up. <br>

If you want dials and switches this camera has'em. Also has a dedicated AF-On and a AF/AE lock button and a rear thumb dial. Looks like it has all the amenities except no built-in flash. Viewfinder looks quite large from the side - so it should be good.<br>

<br />Since is has a dedicated AF-On button would this place it ABOVE the D600/D610 in the lineup and hence price?</p>

<p>It also appears to have:<br>

- Round rear viewfinder<br>

- LCD (of course, but some thought it might not)<br>

- Shutter speed dial with the S, Cl, Ch, Q, etc. switch underneath that<br>

- One more dial on the other side of the VF hump that is likely the ISO + EC settings<br>

- Shutter button plus something else next to the shutter speed button (probably the on/off?)<br>

- No aperture ring on the 50/1.8G<br>

- Still has that mystery button above the lens release and just below and to the side of the VF. Who knows what that is, though I know what I want it to be.<br>

- The back definitely looks more sophisticated than the D610 - much more like the D800. <br>

I think this is going to be pricey.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but not enough to toss a bug-eyed hissy fit over it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lex, I didn't know till this here minute that you were from the Sow-th, too.</p>

<p>Yep, this has been a rather upscale rumor thread. Maybe that's because the videos come from a rather upscale rumor site of sorts.</p>

<p>I am just left wondering how Nikon plans to keep the suspense going much longer without giving us something more substantive to chew on.</p>

<p>"Good things take time. They're worth the wait." Translation: "Don't go buyin' no Sony stuff just yet."</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p> Certainly retro with a modern twist. What I am not sure of is why they seem to highlight the sound of the shutter. My " simpler is better " mind likes the look. The ideas posted that it will not be cheap, is getting me down. I must guess, however, that they would not go to all THIS trouble for a low end priced camera.</p>

<p>I'm afraid I may end up saying, " That is really AWESOME, but I will never be able to afford one ! ". Maybe at KEH 5 years from now, on the used shelf. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Holy cow! It's November.</p>

<p>John, I'm thinking a ways down the road for myself, too. This is beginning to look pretty sophisticated, and they are going to have to pay for the advertising campaign, too. There's no way that I expect this one to come in at bargain basement prices.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>somewhere between the Leica M9 and the Sony RX1</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Definitely out of my league, Lex.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>1/4000s fastest shutter speed - seems this camera uses the same innards as the D610. A cryptic 1/3 STEP setting on the shutter speed dial - I assume setting it will enable shutter speed selection via the command dial in the back. FPS selection with the dial under the shutter speed dial. Not sure what the far right (when viewed from the back) dial is - I assume it's exposure compensation. Dial to the left of the prism finder - ISO? WB only in the menu?<br /> No built-in flash.</p>

<p>Why the re-designed 50mm lens? And why does it appear that he is always focusing manually?</p>

<p>At least they showed a lot more in #5 then I had expected.</p>

<p>Shutter speeds:</p>

<p>D4 1/8000 sec</p>

<p>D800 1/18000 sec</p>

<p>D610 1/4,000 sec</p>

<p>DF (?) 1/4,000 sec</p>

<p>Is the maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec any indication of where the price is likely to be? That is, if it resembles the D610 more than the D800 on that feature (among others), would it make sense to ask much over $2,000, if that?</p>

<p>Is it safe to assume that the HP viewfinder is purely optical (consistent with the retro design)?</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I think this retro style is going to be cost a premium and some of those customers may just eventually buy it. The traditional shutter dial. Seems like the top image shows only AF and M on the side selector. Round VF. AF-ON and AF/AE-L. I think it is going to cost more than the D800. $4,000 my wild guess .... maybe with that special silver ring lens included as a sweetner. </p>