D50 shutter life

royall_berndt

<p>Hi Royall, 27,000 doesn't sound like much to me - are you sure it's the shutter that quit and not the battery? </p>

<p>I believe it's possible for the battery, at nearing its end-of-life, to hold just enough charge to power the camera, but its terminal voltage will drop abruptly (and shut down the camera) when peak current (such as shutter actuation) is demanded. </p>

<p>It'd be worth checking into unless you've concluded that it's definitively a shutter failure. </p>

<p>A lot or not, shutters do fail. The D50 is a fine camera and can be replaced for very little money which would be less costly than having Nikon repair the shutter. If you're on a budget you can get a replacement D50 for under $140 from KEH. If you're looking for something newer a D5200 or a D7000 would be a great upgrade. </p>

<p>It is probably a bit short but not all shutters last as long as the average they are rated at. An some last much longer.</p>

<p>I am a big fan of KEH - they currently have 3 excellent D50 bodies available for about $140. They give a nice warranty on their used bodies (I believe 6 months) and also warrant their repairs (also 6 months)</p>

<p>There is currently a D50 body available from Roberts on eBay for $135 (or they will accept offers) including shipping, with only 12k actuations.</p>

<p>Also FWIW, a broken body is always a great excuse to upgrade (if you have the budget). Used D7000s are bargain priced now and are an exceptional value!</p>

<p>No way would I fix or replace with a D50. It's just too old at this point. Even if the shutter is rated to last, if you buy a new one, within a few years there won't be any parts for it and you will have thrown "good money after bad"...</p>

<p>The D50 was awesome in its day, I loved mine, but today, I'd replace it with something much newer</p>

<p>27,000 is shorter than the average, but given that shutter life is just MTBF and not a guaranteed lifespan, I'd say that it's time to upgrade. My D90 was at about 65,000 before I decided to trim down my camera collection. I've had a D80 fail at just under 7,000 and that's just how it goes. Given the age of the D50, I'd say that you got a useful life out of it. Definitely upgrade and don't buy another D50: while it's a good camera that still takes fine photos, if you're investing in a body, you can get a lot more for your money by getting something newer. The D7000 should be your go-to upgrade option, unless you're strapped for cash.</p>