What about camera straps?

Don't get me wrong; I love them, and most of my favorite cameras have them. But when you have 150-200 cameras, most of mine do

not. To equip them all with $15-20 straps would involve some serious whip-out, and cut into my evenings spent with junior. ( I am a huge

Dan Jenkins fan, and whip-out is cash and junior is 12 year old scotch)

Any good ideas not involving twine out there?

In my old age, I do ask the salesman or my wife to attach them, and they always do.

<p>If you're not looking for something fancy, one possibility is to buy a roll of 1/2" or 3/8" nylon webbing and the requisite metal fittings and make your own straps. There are any number of companies that will sell you the necessary materials, such as www.strapworks.com or www.countrybrookdesign.com. You could probably make some nice basic straps for $1-2 each</p>

<p>I have a strap with clips which I can easily switch from one camera to another. I believe this particular strap came from a higher-end mid eighties leather satchel of some sort. The strap is the most comfortable one I've come across, and I switch it from camera to camera when I use it. If you're not looking for a strap for each camera, and just something utilitarian for use when shooting, something like that might come in handy for you. If you're looking for something to display them with, I'd really suggest getting the matching straps and having that be the next major addition to your collection.</p>

<p>For my lighter weight compact cameras and accessories like light meters, I make straps from paracord. I use a variation of the arbor knot so I can quickly and easily adjust the length as needed for a neckstrap or wrist strap, from the same length of cord. With lightweight cameras I usually run the paracord strap through only one eyelet, normally the one closest to the shutter release.</p>

<p>The only cameras I use with more conventional neckstraps are heavier bodies like SLRs. With the really heavy cameras I'll use padded foam straps like the Op-Tech.</p>

<p>David Kaye,</p>

<p>You have too many cameras.</p>

<p>That said, my solution to too many cameras, in my case perhaps 15 cameras, is moving straps from camera to camera. I have left small, home made strap extentions that are about 2 inchs long on each strap lug. These extensions stay on the cameras. </p>

<p>I've used synthetic clothesline looped through the camera body's triangular lugs to make a double strand. Not elegant, but effective. <br>

I tried once to use an old silk tie, but it snapped, sending the camera to the asphalt pavement of a parking lot. Since this was late 1960's Canon SLR equipment, everything continued to work as it had before the disaster. </p>

<p>+1 for Cory...I place split rings on all my cameras which you can buy for about 20 cent at your local locksmith (camera stores charge to much for the same thing), I still use whats referred to as *hippie* camera strap with metal swivel clips (been using the same one for over 25 years now, think I have my monies worth! :) ) and clip it on to whichever camera I plan on using.<br /><br />I also use a shoulder strap for shooting long day events as the weight from the camera will kill your neck after 5+ hours (especially in the hot Sun!), this connects to the tripod mount at the bottom of your camera.</p>

<p>I have dozens of straps, but I have various clips on several that can be easily attached and removed from most cameras. If necessary I use a separate slide-on split ring first. Not ideal for permanent use, but fine for a roll or two.</p>

<p>Whatever you do, I advise against using vintage, original leather straps. Quite often they are brittle and will fail at the worst possible moment.</p>

<p>Here is one of my "hippie" camera straps and an additional slip-on (yellow arrow).</p><div>00c88l-543401884.jpg.9650076f19d37029409ebb6aa51a3fa5.jpg</div>

<p>Hmm the only thing I don't like about the metal clips (dog links?) on the end of these hippy straps is that they can damage the finish of the camera. I prefer the black nylon fabric straps, despite the tedious task of fitting them every time you take it out. The only problem is, does the little plastic loop go above or below the buckle?</p>

<p>John - <br /><br />I have been using the *hippie* strap for over 25 years and I have never had an issue with it damaging the camera or finish, I use them on every camera I have...or at least the ones that have strap lugs. I have tried to use the nylon straps that come with the cameras wiuth no metal clasps...once...did not like how the camera kept getting tangled up and not move freely, these *hippie* straps to me feel very secure and for the most part comfortable, its just when you have a heavy camera, battery grip , lens, flash and in the hot Sun for hours that they wear out the neck real fast, mine looks very close to JDM's</p>

<p>I make my own black or brown leather straps with matching shoulder pads, all sized to my dimensions, with attachment clips to interchange among camera bodies. I still haven't found the perfect solution on the attachment end, but recently incorporated 30# fishing leader snaps which clip right into the camera eyelets and so far seem to hold everything securely.</p>

<p>Check out the Joby strap.<br>

It's an innovative new strap that screws into the tripod mount.<br>

Its pretty easy to move from camera to camera. Since it hangs from the bottom of the camera, it stays out of the way when you are shooting.<br>

http://joby.com/camera-straps/</p>

<p>Alternatively, just get a smallish shoulder bag and carry the camera sans-strap. Personally, I hate camera straps. I have two olympus OM's in a shoulder bag each with Joby wrist straps. </p>

<p>I've tried tripod socket sling straps for my Ikonta A and Super Ikonta A, which lack strap lugs. I find the straps to be much too thick and clumsy for these small cameras. However the tripod socket fittings [black Rapid, in my case] work very well for a thinner conventional strap with split rings.</p>

I was just facing this dilema recently as I came into a new camera with no strap and weanted to use it immedaitely. This is really the best forum on the net. Lots of ideas. Liked the key chaing loops as cheap and easily done. the double ring with the Hippie Strap I have but only one pair of matching lower clip. Another appealing idea though that fit my first thoughts is the first of just buying a lot of webbing from a delaer and make my own! I do rather like the less is more of thin unobtrusive straps and one for each camera.