Doors

<p>Because it's been done, it would be great if a new series felt it had a fresh perspective, showed me doors in a different light or from a different angle, perhaps included the personality of the photographer or, if a more objective stance were preferred, if some way of photographing the doors that showed me something more about them could be found. Editing (meaning choosing from among the many shots) would be important, too. As well as establishing some sort of visual rhythm in their presentation. What I've noticed about doors when I see them is the incredible narrative potential they have and the personality as well. Capturing some of that, whether through lighting, showing some context, a day and night approach, the development of a particular and seemingly organic style, could make for a compelling series. There's much potential here for creative thinking about the subject and then finding a unique photographic approach to it, one that could establish a connection between photographer, viewer and door or have some other energizing factor behind it.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I would agree with Fred, but personally I see especially potentialities in the series, if the cultural, historical, geographical diversity was put to the fore so that the series goes beyond what most such door shots are characterized by: the pretty and colorful.<br>

There are many interesting shots, but a more critical selection of the best of the good, would further improve the series, in my eyes. </p>

<p>I get the point. I first went to Prague about 6 months after communism fell, but before the first election. The years of neglect where plainly evident. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me on that trip. I think a compelling story could have been made about the renaissance of Prague as shown through the doors - before and after renovation work.<br>

It's truly hard to describe what it was like the first time I was there, I think the communists only had 2 colors of exterior paint, grey and a grey brown, you could tell buildings were in serious need of maintenance and rehab, most really hadn't been touched in decades. On the plus side there hope and optimism of the people was amazing to witness, people happy, gathering in the squares and on the bridges.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Very cool. My fiancee also has a fascination with doors and photographs every interesting door she sees.<br>

<br />Yours show a lot of variety. I would love to see the very best of them (top 10-20) selected and put together as a series.</p>