Film changing box?

<p>Back a few years ago when I was taking b&w film photography classes my instructor used a small metal box that had sleeves for the arms for a student who was terrified of the darkroom. The box opened like a suitcase so you could put the film reels in it. After placing the reels you closed it and latched it shut and then put your arms in the sleeves to put the negatives onto the reels. I'd like to start developing my own b&w and use my Nikon CoolScan V ED to scan the negatives. I'm looking for this box, I think it'll be a better alternative to the changing bag. Do you know what I'm looking for? Do you have any suggestios?</p>

<p>In an old photo magazine, there was a "hint" on how to make a box frame with small diameter PVC pipe and joints to fit inside a changing bag. Unfortunately, I can't find it again, but it is not rocket science.</p>

<p>A key part was to leave some joints unglued so it could be slipped into the bag and assembled.</p>

<p>If you would prefer to buy something, the Photoflex Changing Room is still listed on B&H. I used one of these for years for location large format film loading and unloading, and it worked well. It has a wire frame like a tent so that the rubberized bag doesn't drape itself all over your hands, but also collapses to almost flat when you aren't using it.</p>

<p>I have seen exactly the same thing as described by JDM above. A few feet of PVC pipe, some Ts and elbows and there you have it! If you want a commerically made darkbox then I can recommend the Fuji FDB 105 which I used during my time managing a photo lab.</p>

<p>The box idea sounds really good, but the key to using a change bag is to get one that's big enough. I stand my tank up in there too, and it works great. Of course, when I started loading film the first few times, everything went wrong. Now I can load a reel in a thrice. If you're shooting 35mm you can get your leader started on the reels before you put them in the bag. With 120, I unroll the backing paper in the bag until I get to the film, then I take the first 1/2" or so and bend it backward to get the curl tamed. I use my pinky to control the film as it rolls off the reel. When I get to those little ball bearings on my plastic reel, I give the edges a little wiggle up and down, and it slides right in. The main thing is to get the film loaded right from the beginning. I've made about every mistake you could make w/ film, but this turned out to be one of the easiest things to get down. It just takes practice. Having a check list next to the bag at first will help you avoid mistakes (like remembering to load the film into the tank before opening the bag!)</p>

<p>I use a plastic storage bin about 8"x12" 4" deep inside of my changing bag. I put the developing tank, lid, reel, film, and scissors into the bin before I slip it into the changing bag. My original reason for using it was that it kept all the pieces from wandering, but I found that it had the added advantage of supporting the sides of the changing bag almost as well as a frame would.</p>

<p>I've been using a changing box that I bought used on eBay for over 10 years. I think these were made for one hour processors and come up for sale fairly often. Mine looks something like a plastic cooler chest combined with a changing bag. It's <em>slightly </em>easier to used than a plain fabric changing bag.</p>

<p>When I worked for Lifetouch we shot 100 foot rolls of 70mm film in Camerz cameras. Each roll of film was about the size of a roll of toilet paper and the camera's detachable magazine double that since both the load and take-up sides had to accommodate the full roll's diameter. We used large changing bags, not the hard-sided changing rooms or tents. Once I got used to it, it was painless and not a bother at all. YMMV</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video