DPP advice

louise_page

<p>Hi<br>

I have been using ACR for years with my Canon 5D11 but after upgrading to a new 5DIII and getting awful results with color balance & contrast from ACR and so frustrated spending hours trying to correct, I posted on Photo.net and was advised to tryout DPP and yes hoorah! it is rendering the images much more naturally and as the LCD shows on the camera, although this is a real pain workflow wise as I find DPP so slow and more limited than ACR.<br>

However I am perservering and wondered if anyone can help with.....(I work in Raw and need to convert to Jpegs for clients)<br>

1. How do i keep Copyright & contact details in files but remove EXIF when converting?<br>

2. how do i open numerous files in edit window , select all and edit all at once with tool palette, without having to save copy file info and paste onto rest?<br>

3. When using Quick select to go through images and rate/check, they have no sharpening applied so hard to know if focus ok, and therefore choose, how do i get a default sharpening to show in initial batch i open ? ( i do not apply any sharpening in camera with Picture styles i choose?)<br>

4. when rated how do i get only rated images to show in screen window, as its seems to choose rated ones to show at top but leave unrated below in screen?<br>

5. I,m finding batch conversion really slow, are there any tips to speed this up?<br>

many thanks in advance for anyone who some advice.<br>

louise.</p>

Louise,

I believe you can't do most of what you are asking for, but

2. Besides opening a photo, copying the recipe, and applying to multiple photos, you can select multiple images in the

main window, open the tool palette, and make the needed changes for all the selected photos at once. This works mostly

to apply basic parameters as sharpening, color style and white balance, as I think DPP only allows you to show all the

photos in thumbnail mode.

3. I'm not sure about this one, as Im not in front of my computer to test, but I believe the Quick select screen shows the

photos with the sharpening applied in the camera. You could apply some in-camera sharpening while taking the photos,

knowing that this wont affect your RAW images. The point is, I don't know if quick select uses the small jpeg file

embedded in the RAW file for a faster rendering, using the parameters configured in camera at the time of capture, but it

shows my photos relatively sharp, at least for selection (nevertheless I believe it doesn't show changes made in DPP, like

WB change).

Thanks ruben, i suspected as much,

shame as dpp colors & contrast ,

saturation , sharpening so much better

than acr for my 5d111 & need to go

with it until adobe sort it out.

But thanks for other tips, i will reset

sharpening in camera & basic changes

all i do mainly, so handy to know i can

batch edit all thumbails first then open

in quickview to rate.

In meantime I,ve discovered a few

other things to speed process up such

as saving repeated recipes in folder.

Noticed noise shows up bit more in dpp

but think acr applys small amount of nr

at default. What amount of nr have

others found works well in dpp or is

checking the reduce noise & mosquito

noise in preferences enough ?

Many thanks again

Louise

<p>When you see the photos on the LCD on your camera, you are looking at a rendered JPG that is embedded in the RAW file. The JPG has had applied your selected Picture Style in-camera. ACR does not, by default, attempt to render your RAW files with Canon's own, defined Picture Styles. DPP, however, will recognize the picture style applied and, as a default, render the RAW file in that same style.</p>

<p>There is nothing "wrong" with ACR. It simply presents to you a different picture style as default for your RAW file. There is nothing to "sort out" with ACR. You are in control of the development process, you should decide on different default parameters for ACR rendering.</p>

<p>Thanks for your post rob, but i,ve been trying all kinds of ways to get ACR to render the images in the same way. I <em>do understand</em> how Raw & ACR works , and i have been editing for years with ACR and other cameras with no issues , however since purchasing the 5DIII the results are not so good. I have tried to stick with it, as i much prefer ACR for editing , but even using the same picture settings in the ACR camera callibration as i,ve shot on camera , and WB setting, its not anywhere near matching. I,ve also let it take camera settings as default but whatever i do , it is not giving me the same results as my camera & DPP is. The color balance and skintones are not good, ACR also adding more contrast & saturation in all canon picture styles than DPP and IMO i do not think they,ve got it right yet. I,m aware i could lose weeks of my life and probably clients experimenting further with it, but for now DPP is much closer to what i see and i need a quick reliable editing technique more than anything.</p>

Actualy I changed from ACR to DPP when going from the 20D to 7D, genrally I find it better for most raw editing allthough

I do sharpening and JPEG conversion in photoshop using a TIFF intermediary.

Control of EXIF info is zero in DPP, copyright is in the raw from the camera but description can be added from the other

Canon raw tool imagebrowser.

Removing EXIF data would be via adobe bridge in the usual way, I forget how you do it but I know it is easy.

So DPP is fine for RAW editing but most other stuff is bridge/photoshop.

<p> Thanks Lester, do you mean you have to convert raw to tiff then open in ACR. I know any edits i do in ACR raw will not show up in DPP . But noticed last night when i loaded a folder of Raw files i had edited in DPP into Bridge it did convert the colors automatically on the ones i had worked on, so interested to see now if i can batch convert via bridge and not have settings changed by ACR ( maybe set ACR raw defaults as nil on everything, except sharpening?) </p>

<p>You can remove exif data in photoshop via bridge select image/images "open using camera raw" then using save button on bottom left hand side , it will bring up a menu which allows you to convert and save image/images you are working on to jpegs/tiff while still editing others in strip and choose whether all exif data or copyright & contact info only. if you press "alt" at same time as save, it will also give you the option to select only rated rated images in edit strip to convert. </p>