What to Charge - 4 hour gig

<p>Have a potential gig...<br>

- a wedding anniversary (less than 10 yrs I believe)<br>

- the person wants to hire a photographer for 4 hours<br>

- The location is a night club (private party area).<br>

- She wants photos to be taken for the 4 hours.<br>

- She wants the pictures on a disc, which I do not have a problem with. I will give her edited shots, in both color and B&W.<br>

- I will have to park my car (it's in a downtown entertainment area), so I'll have to throw that in as a minor cost.<br>

- My wife works with this lady<br>

- I am sure she is getting quotes from others.<br>

I'm just starting out, so not a lot of experience in charging an appropriate amount.<br>

My time (estimate):<br>

(1 hr) drive to location / park / scope out / setup<br>

(4 hrs) at least to shoot<br>

(3 to 4 hrs) post processing<br>

Advice on what to charge is greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I don't think anyone here can answer your question except for you. </p>

<p>You need to determine how much your time, effort, etc... are worth vs the cost or gains of not getting the gig. </p>

<p>Also - you don't mention what city, country or area you're in. That will also make a difference. In the midwest US - prices for what you're talking about go from free to $1,000 +. In New York it probably goes up to $5,000 + . Your rate will depend on the location of yourself and the event. If you're struggling - check out the competition's websites and see what they would charge. </p>

<p>If you're concerned about her being a co-worker of your wife's then pass on the gig or give her a quote showing both a base price and a discounted one since she is a co-worker. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I'm just starting out, so not a lot of experience in charging an appropriate amount."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sridip, if you're just starting out, an important consideration is whether you results can guarantee customer satisfaction as their expectation will be directly proportional to your charges, so it all depends on your skill level and how much the gig and photography experience is worth to you. </p>

<p>True story, which might help put this in perspective...</p>

<p>When I worked as an assistant in London, a very long time ago, I started doing my own work. My boss was quite happy that I do so and would even allow me the use of the studio, strictly out of work hours.</p>

<p>He drew the line when I asked him about pricing. He told me that, if I needed to ask that question, I wasn't ready to take on paying jobs.</p>

<p>"Eighty per cent of commercial photography is the 'commercial', the 'photography' is only ten per cent." he told me. "The other ten per cent is knowing the difference between the two".</p>

<p>+1 to the above.<br>

Everyone's costs are different, depending on a whole host of factors. The amount they need to earn on top of costs will also be different, again depending on a large number of factors. So no one can reasonably advise you on what you should charge. Before starting a business you need to do a business plan and calculate your costs. If you don't know how to do that you aren't ready to start a business. You need to learn to plan and prepare your business before you start it.</p>

<p>''I will give her edited shots, in both color and B&W.''<br /><br />''(3 to 4 hrs) post processing.''<br /><br /> 100 photos, 500 or 1000? <br />I suggest a certain amount of edited images for $_ amount of dollars. Offer additional photos over your set amount at $_ amount of dollars per image.<br /><br /></p>