6D

michaellinder

<p>Indeed, David is absolutely right. Personally, I couldn't stand the ergonomics (as much as I tried to like it), but then I currently shoot w/ 5D2s, so, unless you've been shooting with pro bodies, you are unlikely to find it as frustrating as I did. Aside from that, it's a great camera... shoot and enjoy!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'd be grateful for feedback from those of you who have used this camera. [Michael Linder]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My most used DSLR is the Canon EOS 6D. My other DSLR is a battery gripped Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Enough said.</p>

<p>The 6D was initially received as another "blah" camera from Canon, meaning it does not look very good, spec wise, compared to offers from the "other brand". However, upon actually using the thing, it soon became apparent that the 6D is really good at doing what it is supposed to do: taking pictures.<br>

As a "budget" full frame DSLR, and for someone already invested in the EOS system, it is a great option. But as always, it depends on what you intend to photograph with it. There are better cameras for sports, or for those that require higher pixel counts.</p>

<p>The 6D was initially received as another "blah" camera from Canon, meaning it does not look very good, spec wise, compared to offers from the "other brand". However, upon actually using the thing, it soon became apparent that the 6D is really good at doing what it is supposed to do: taking pictures.<br>

As a "budget" full frame DSLR, and for someone already invested in the EOS system, it is a great option. But as always, it depends on what you intend to photograph with it. There are better cameras for sports, or for those that require higher pixel counts.</p>

<p>I like the high ISO performance of the 6D. Not many cameras can match it, regardless of budget. I don't own one but used one briefly. I would also find the GPS and WiFi features useful but not essential. However, after using the larger 5D2 for years I would personally find the ergonomics of the 6D awkward. But if you're coming from other consumer cameras I am sure you would love it.</p>

<p>I posted a question about the 6D last week, and a<a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00bVZ3"> long thread followed</a> that you may find useful.<br /><br />The bottom line is that the suitability of this camera or any other depends heavily on your experience, preferences, lenses, and type of shooting. Of course, you'll find some people who say the 6D is the best camera ever invented for everything. Others say that anybody who doesn't love it as much as they do is either a fool, a novice photographer, or a rich guy determined to waste money on a bigger toy. If you're looking for this sort of "insight," reading Ken Rockwell might be a fine place to start.<br /><br />I found that the best way to learn about the 6D is to rent or borrow one and go do some shooting. I recently compared the 6D to the 5D3 exactly this way. I tried the types of shooting I do most often (landscapes, macro and architecture). Then I stepped out of my comfort zone and shot birds and deer.<br /><br />Both cameras were impressive at high ISOs. I could not see any difference in image quality using the exact same lenses under the same conditions. But for me, the ergonomics, AF, and other details added up to a strong preference for the 5D3. My "keeper" rate was noticeably higher than with the 6D-- especially on the wildlife. <br /><br />The 6D just wasn't for me: Image quality aside, I did not find it fun or intuitive. You may find it both. </p>

<p>Also interested in the 6d! I shoot mainly birds with my 7d, but it would be nice to have something with better IQ ready, for landscapes mostly, or photography in the city, travel, etc.<br>

So main reason is IQ, and the fact that I don't like to change the lens "on the fly" again and again. Last time, my 7d body fell on the ground, open, and was full of dirt, sensor included! Luckily, after 2 sensor cleaning, opening turned down, dust on the sensor was removed!<br>

But I still have some doubts about the GPS, that seems to eat a lot on the battery. How does the 6d compare to 5d/7d in autonomy? GPS can be useful, but is there a way to switch it off? Same question for wifi?<br>

The other (main) problem is my 8-16mm that I can not use with the 6d!</p>

<p>Any idea?</p>

<p>Rev. Hill, I shoot birds also, formerly with the 7D and now mainly with t 5D MkIII. I own both, but the AF on the 5D3 is so much more accurate, consistant and flexible that my keeper rate has more than doubled. The AF accuracy more than makes up for the loss of crop factor and it's also a great camera for landscape, travel,portraits, street and night shooting. My 7D is relegated to backup duty.</p>

>>> I'd be grateful for feedback from those of you who have used this camera.<P>

I've been shooting with a 6D for 3 months coming from a 5DII. A little smaller and lighter. Better ergonomics,

AF, IQ,

and auto-ISO. Solid upgrade (even not considering GPS and WiFi). Auto-iso is killer now that a minimum shutter speed can be specified - use it

all the time from shooting outside in bright light to inside in dim bars. <P>

I shoot <a href= "http://www.citysnaps.net/">street and street portraiture</a>. Feel free to ask specific

questions about the cam...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Rev. Hill, I also came from shooting with my 7D for the last three years. I considered the 6D. While the IQ was a big improvement over the 7D, the 6D did not feel like an upgrade to me in just about every other respect. I went with the 5D MkIII and haven't looked back. The AF is SO good that I actually started shooting birds for the first time. If you shoot with telephoto lenses, you'll love how the AF central cross-type points work focusing on distant subjects. Nothing on the 6D compares in this respect.<br /><br />David Stephens, I know exactly what you mean when you say that your keeper rate has more than doubled. I put my new 5D MkIII through its paces last weekend. My keeper rate on everything improved big-time thanks to the AF accuracy. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>But I still have some doubts about the GPS, that seems to eat a lot on the battery....GPS can be useful, but is there a way to switch it off? Same question for wifi? [Rev. Hill]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Outdoors, the GPS takes too long to activate most of the time (2 minutes+). Under the same conditions, my Garmin Navigator GPS picks up a signal in less than 20 seconds. The GPS in the 6D can be deactivated via the Menu. Same for the WI FI.</p>

<p>Thanks David and Michael for your advice. I was considering a pair of bodies, one for birding, the other for landscape. I understand that ideally I'd be better with a 5d III (or 1d) and a 6d, but it's a bit too much for now! I'll stay with mith my 7d and Lumix.<br>

Peter: thanks, that explains the good battery life of the 6d.</p>

<p>If I were going for two dSLR bodies, and I did, I'd get one that was high-end 35mm format and one that was an equivalent featured APS-C body. And so I did.</p>

<p>I do virtually no video and very little sports-type work, so the older models that were still current or recently discontinued were bargains for me.</p>

<p>Which specific models in each case, depending on it having the features you need/want.</p>

<p>I have been loving my 6d. I think it is ideal for a person like me who is big on adventure. It is much lighter then a 5dII/III and I think that is a very often overlooked feature. The gps is a nice bonus if you are planning to reshoot things deep in the wilderness. The wifi is great in studio and astrophotogaphy, and the high ISO performance is outstanding.</p>

<p>I do wish for a the body to have better weather sealing, but I will be purchasing a rain cover for shooting in really bad weather.</p>

<p>The lack of center point AF doesnt bother me at all, as I usally focus and recompose are manual focus. I LOVE that i can change my eyepiece to a split focus... LOVE THAT</p>

• 2 years later...