tell me about the 35mm summicrons

<p>I have a 35mm Summaron but I find the f2.8 a little limiting sometimes. I think I would like an f2 lens because f1.4 lensees are not 39mm filter threads, they are larger, do not focus closely, and more importantly they are more expensive. Bokeh-wise, I do not care so much for out of focus really but I do want/need the speed for exposure. <br>

I'd prefer to stick with Leica because they generally have everything I need and the build quality is second to most*. (I've heard great things about Hexars, but they are pricey).<br>

I'm mostly interested in the V1-V3. It seems that the V1 is the collector piece and lowest in contrast, the V4 is the bokeh king and maybe overrated, so that leaves me mostly with the V2 and V3. Those that do not go V4 opt for the V3 but what about the V2? </p>

<p>I'm thinking V1 (goggled/canadian), V2, and V3 mostly. My biggest concern is wide-open performance because this is what I am getting one of these things for but is that wishful thinking? Should I perhaps just go for a Zeiss or 40 Cron? </p>

<p>I was in a similar situation, I went for the 40 Cron. In the end it came down to finding images made with the lens that showed good contrast and, bokeh, and distortion. I found the Zeiss 35 2.0 a bit weird and the 35 pre asph's seemed just as good as the much less expensive 40 2.0.</p>

<p>Believe me , I've tried them all and the V4 is by far the best 35. It is followed by the 40 Summicron.</p>

<p>The Zeiss is far too pricey, has an inconvenient lens hood and uses non-Leica size filters. It is also<br>

big and heavy compared to the V4. The images are great though.</p>

<p>The 35mm Summicrons' detailed image producing capability range from range from really good to outstanding. The Summaron (which by the way is my favorite) is more painterly in its rendition. If you get the V4 Summicron, you will be impressed with its clinical sharpness, but don't get rid of the Summaron, you may find that you want to return to it after the sharpness novelty wears off. I know I did.</p>

<p>Do keep your Summaron. I have had a Summicron 35/2 Aspherical for about a decade and I love it. It is still like the first kiss whenever I use it. Resolution, contrast, flare control, ergonomics are fantastic. It is not cheap but it is worth it. </p>

I don't know if the version 4 Summicron is "overrated," but it is an optical work of art. Can make for some very

elegant looking prints in the right hands.... In fact, it can't be described adequately in words, which is how it

should be. I have a 3.5 Summaron that is very good too, but don't use it much since I got the Summicron

several years ago. It just has a different look, but is very sharp also. The Hexar AF has a fixed lens that has a lot of depth to it like the version 4 Summicron. At least as important as optics though is the light and how in tune the photographer is with it, along with how dead on the exposure is and how well the processing is done.

<p>Ray has some sound advice. A photo made from a good lens that's perfectly exposed, perfectly developed, and shot in great light, will be an eye popper. A photo made from a great lens that hasn't got the best of all that, will not be so great. The only lenses mentioned here that I have owned are the 2.8 Summaron and the 40 Summicron. Both were better than my photography skills.</p>

<p>I have used the first version of the 35mm Summicron, the fourth version and currently use the Asph. version. They all have different 'signatures' but they are all fantastic. I wish I had kept the first version but it paid for a Summilux asph that I used for a while alongside the 35mm Summicron asph. I kept the Summicron. I just don't think you can go very wrong with any of the 35mm sum microns. Good luck!</p>

<p>Apart from a Canon 35f2, I only have a 3.5 Summaron with goggles. The former is admirably sharp at the edges but disappointing in the centre, while the Summaron is just the opposite.<br>

I don't care too much about speed, but wouldn't want to lose the centre quality, which seems similar to that of the Summarit 35, which does have good corners as well. Even second hand, however, they seem to be around $1300 so I suppose I just bide my time. The time when folk would sell Leica gear in a panic as they thought it was going down the tubes is long gone...</p>

<p>Differences often come down to centre versus edge performance at full aperture. If the edges are not too important for you, as for instance, in close-up or medium distance people photography or some nature photography not involving detailed edge subject matter (compared to architectural or landscape photography), then I would consider one of the older and less expensive Summicrons. As mentioned, the knowledgeable use of the lens to obtain maximum quality is often more important than small differences in its specific technical qualities. </p>

<p>I have a 35mm V2 Summicron as well as a 35mm pre-asph Summilux. I love them both but use the V2 Summicron much more often. I find it has few if any faults. Despite it's lowly reputation it still is a Summicron which will take sharp and contrasty pictures befitting any Leica camera. It beats hands down any other 35mm lens I have used on SLR's. If it means anything I traded my 35 ASPH Summicron knowing the V2 Summicron will perform 35mm duties quite well for me. </p>

• 2 weeks later...