Batteries

ussorca

<p>I just bought my first flash, a Nikon SB-800. I plan to use it with just 4 batteries. Would like some advice on which brand of batteries I should use (based on infrequent use), and should I use rechargeable. If so, which brand and charger? Also, a recommended supplier would be helpful. Thanks.</p>

<p>+1 to using hybrid Nickel-metal hydride rechargeables, but I must point out that there are other makes of this type of battery than Sanyo. GP "Recyko", Uniross "Hybrio", Vapextech "Instant" and Panasonic "Evolta" are just a few alternatives. In fact GP's Recyko AA cells came out top for consistency and value for money in one or two online reviews. I can personally vouch that they work really well in my speedlights and hold a charge for a good 6 months or more.</p>

<p>Before those hybrid types came out I was forever recharging sets of AA NiMh cells, only to find that my spares had half self-discharged when I came to use them.</p>

<p>I've used both AA Alkaline batteries (brands Energizer & Duracell) and NiMh Recahargeables (brands Energizer & Radio SHack). The SB800 ran OK on both types.</p>

<p>The advantage of rechargeables is that when they run low you recharge back up and they're good for another cycle of usage. You cannot do that with non-rechargeables. When they run out, that's it, you have to throw them away and buy new ones. So, over time, you save $$ by using rechargeables since you can use the same set over and over again.</p>

<p>With NiMH batteries, do NOT get a cheap "dumb" charger. That will ruin the battery. The smart chargers turn off when the battery is fully charged. The dumb chargers will keep charging the battery, and overcharge it, damaging the battery.</p>

<p>The Eneloop type of battery is good if you shoot infrequently. They do not self discharge as fast as the normal NiMH batteries. So you don't have to remember to charge them up before a shoot, like I have to.</p>

<p>BTW, even though it can, do NOT shoot long bursts with the flash. Many rapid sequential shots will generate heat inside the flash that takes a long time to dissipate. Too much heat will result in thermal failure of the flash. There have been many instances of that happening with the SB800. Read the manual and pay attention to the "rest time" to let the flash cool down.</p>