Photo.net announces a new subscriber benefit: selling your photography!

G-P

<p>I believe there will only be the smaller prints available to you through this program at that resolution. As a test, consider logging in and visiting the photo admin tab of the photo you are interested in submitting for sale and clicking on the link "make available for sale". Then click on the "buy print" button under the photo to see what size prints are available for that photo. If you wish to see larger size prints available you will need to upload higher resolution photos. </p>

<p>There are 2 ways to upload multiple photos at once. The most commonly used uploader is what we call the "multiple uploader" (creative huh!) which is triggered when you click on the "Upload" button in the "your portfolio" area of your workspace. </p>

<p>The other most effective way to upload multiple photos is utilizing the "<a href="/photodb/choose-photodrop">photodrop</a>" method - where you email the photos to your unique email address photodrop service provides you. Once you email the photos to that email address the photos will appear in your "<a href="/photodb/choose-photodrop">photodrop</a>" folder in your workspace and allows for photos up to 3500X3500 in size. </p>

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p><em>The photos will be placed in a folder called "Photodrop" in your Portfolio. At that point they are just like any other photos in your portfolio. <strong>You can move them to another folder at any time.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><br /></em>(Emphasis mine). </p>

<p>Does this mean the limit on size of photos is now "3500 x 3500"? If so, that removes a major limitation on selling photos. If I do upload such photos, is there a way to prevent other people from downloading or copying (for free) the full-size photo? For example, will only a downsized version appear on screen in the "available for purchase" section, too small to bother copying? Will it be possible to mark the photodrop folder private or hidden, and still have the downsized version available on the "available for purchase" page?</p>

<p>Also, is there any limit on file size, e.g. 30 MB or so (aside from any limitations on file size one's email program enforces)?</p>

<p>Sorry about all the questions and thanks for making this feature available as a photo.net benefit. I see it as a major improvement.</p>

<p>Dennis</p>

<p>@William The single uploader will reject it (i know bad user experience, i never use that uploader because it is not user friendly as it requires you to re-size your own photos) however the multiple uploader (the big "upload" button in your workspace under "your portfolio" tab) will automatically re-size your photos to 1500 on the client side. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/choose-photodrop">photodrop</a> has always been a viable option if you are interested in uploading up to 3500X3500. I just uploaded one myself!</p>

<p>@Dennis - good question on what we make visible in the gallery versus what is provided to CanvasPop, I am waiting one piece of information I want to confirm before I reply.</p>

<p>The multiple photo uploader is convenient but introduces a couple of complications, particularly for folks who intend their photos to be available for printing:</p>

<ol>

<li>The batch/multiple photo uploader imprints a rectangular copyright notice on the bottom right corner. This may be unsightly for prints.</li>

<li>The batch uploader and copyright notice imprint process requires creating a new JPEG from your original JPEG, with additional degradation. I see significant posterizing in skies and other areas of continuous tones or delicate gradations of color and hue in skies. Resolution of fine detail may also be impaired.</li>

</ol>

<p>I do occasionally use the batch uploader for convenience with photos that won't be visibly affected by the creation of a new JPEG from my original JPEG. But for some photos I prefer the single photo uploader, which retains the original JPEG integrity with a couple of complications:</p>

<ol>

<li>The default image size is 679 pixels wide.</li>

<li>The maximum image size is 1500 pixels (apparently in any direction, not only width).</li>

<li>For photos larger than 679 pixels wide, but smaller than 1500 pixels in any dimension, a second smaller JPEG is created, with consequent degradation from recompressing a JPEG. The original JPEG - provided it does not exceed 1500 pixels - will be retained as-is.</li>

<li>The old single photo uploader still rejects any photos larger than 1500 pixels - at least as of a few days ago when I tested it again.</li>

</ol>

<p>I haven't tried the email option. If it permits photos up to 3500 pixels in either dimension, without imposing additional JPEG recompression and degradation, it may be the better option for folks who wish to allow prints to be made of their photos.</p>

<p>However, this would appear to introduce another complication: If we wish to avoid imprinting unsightly copyright notices on photos intended to be printed, we'll need to omit the only reasonably effective method for discouraging image theft - a prominent copyright notice.</p>

<p>Note that virtually all stock photography outlets prominently display copyright notices across their photo samples. Only after payment does the user get a larger resolution version without the watermark.</p>

<p>I'll ask again, . . .</p>

<p>Glenn indicated eventually a means to <em>sort & search</em>.</p>

<p>Are we talking about the anticipated search options to also be based on the images tags?</p>

<p>Should I be adding tags those photographs just as I do my others?</p>

<p>Photo.net's <a href="/gallery/tag-search/">"search by photo tag"</a> already encompasses keywords other than those specifically entered as tags. For example, Jim, your <a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=1045098">Eagles & Birds of Prey</a> folder doesn't include the word "prey" as a tag or photo title, but a tag search for "prey" does include your photos in that folder because of the folder title.</p>

<p>Tags would probably help viewers and prospective buyers to locate photos more readily, but it appears the system includes titles of folders and individual photos as keywords.</p>

<p>Glenn's post of Feb 04, 2014 12:25 pm.<br>

"We are adding means to sort, search, find all photos available for sale as well as beginning to integrate them into high areas of traffic on site."</p>

<p>So is the current "search by photo tag" the system that is going to be used?</p>

<p>And, I gather that if one member sets up a folder named "Photos for Sale" and another member names their folder "Photographs for Purchase" that all the photos for sale by both members will come up in a search for available photos for sale?</p>

<p>So are folder titles more significant than the photo tags as keywords?</p>

<p>Yes - please always add tags to each photo as we all want photos to be found via search. That applies to photos for this program or just in getting the most out of this site in general - the more information we have on each photo the more discoverable it will be. <br>

Creating a "for sale" folder suggestion is for potential buyers to see what other works you have available in this program. When you opt a photo in, we tag it on the back end and can call on that tag to pull into areas we will be featuring canvas prints for sale. </p>

<p>here i am sounding like a dolt again, Glenn...lol. nonetheless, let's say i create a "photos for sale" folder on my member page, and i email one of my photos to the folder so that i get the 3500x3500, if i buy the photo myself to see the quality, and am pleased with it, can i expect to get the same quality result on every photo that i upload by email. in other words, is that our resolution solution? <br>

Also, can you elaborate on this: "When you opt a photo in, we tag it on the back end and can call on that tag to pull into areas we will be featuring canvas prints for sale." if i fill my photo with tags, and i email it to my "for sale" folder, exactly how will you "tag it on the back end" and pull it to areas that will expand the number of potential buyers?</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses to the <em>"sort & search!"</em></p>

<p>I still have other questions but, I'll wait till things settle down a bit and, keep watching this thread for possible answers.</p>

<p>Thanks again!<br>

Jim j.</p>

<p>I might have used that as an example to illustrate what photographer makes from sale to consumer. A 24X38 costs to produce $92, cost to end consumer would be $183 of which the photographer would make 80% of profit = $72.80 </p>

<p>Richard,<br />Nice photograph of the Iris!<br />Was the 16X13 print the largest size offered from your 1016X1200 pixel download size?</p>

<p>Just curious, I can't see the offered sizes. When I hit the "Buy Print" button, I get nothing!</p>

<p>Hello everyone – We have some good news! Jin worked his magic yet once again and has developed a solution that will allow you all to upload high resolution images to photo.net for purposes of printing through CanvasPop. This will allow for larger canvas prints made available through CanvasPop. </p>

<p>CanvasPop is working to make this program expand beyond canvas prints therefore having a library of higher resolution images on file will allow for easier expansion when the time comes.</p>

<p>Check the FAQ at the beginning of this post for more information!</p>

<p>Glenn and Jin:</p>

<p>This is a major improvement! Thank you for making this capability available. I will try it out and start uploading higher res images through your new uploader.</p>

<p>What will be the (approximate) resolution of the thumbnail shown in the gallery? I am presuming this downsizing of a hi-res image (up to 6000 x 6000) will only apply to those uploaded through the new uploader -- is this correct?</p>

<p>Also, is there still a limit of 3 MB?</p>

<p>Just out of curiosity, what will happen if a million or so of these hi-res images are uploaded? I hope you have a lot of server space!</p>

<p>Thanks very much.</p>

<p>Dennis</p>

<p>Ilka, I had the same problem and posted this on the "Update" thread:</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Glenn, I just tried uploading a high res image via the dedicated server, and got a "file too large" error message. The image is:<br /> 5416 x 3744 pixels, Adobe RGB, 300 ppi, 8-bit JPEG, file size 22.1MB. What am I missing, here?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Was this similar to yours?</p>

<p>I tried uploading Photo ID 17673202 via the dedicated server.</p>

<p>The image is 3209 X 2106 pixels, JPEG, file size 2.47MB</p>

<p>The status bar at the bottom of the page showed <em>"Waiting for http://www.photo.net/photodb/upload-highres-2 . . . "</em> and after some time (4-5minutes) I got an HTTP408/HTTP409 error stating <em>"The Website is too busy to show the Web page."</em> Then when I tried to refresh I got this Request Error;<br />"(bullet) <em>"photo_id" required but not supplied"</em><br />"(bullet) <em>"upload_file" required but not supplied"</em> AOL Server/4.5.2 on http://www.photo.net</p>

<p><strong>If the High Res upload was sucessful would we get some form of notification advising so?</strong></p>

<p><strong>I ask because</strong> when I went back into my "For Sale" folder and to the image I attempted to upload in the Photos "Admin Tab" <strong>I no longer have the option to </strong><em><strong>"Upload a high resolution version of this image for printing."</strong> </em></p>

<p>Jim,<br>

Sorry that I can't answer your question about the size. What I thought was that the 16X13 would give me a pretty good idea of what CanvasPop could do with a relatively small file. I ordered it for my wife as a Valentine's gift...thinking that if it was disappointing I'd just not give it to her. Anyway, she loves it. It takes the linked image and essentially turns it into what looks like a detailed air-brushed painting on canvas. I was pleased that the colors are very true to the original and I was quite surprised that the a large amount of detail is preserved.<br>

Obviously, this is not like ordering a fine print on paper from a professional print shop with a very high resolution file. I use another private company for that and have been quite pleased, but you pay for what you get.<br>

This option through photo.net is intriguing as it allows us to enter the market with relative ease for those who are interested, which I think is a great offering from the site. I'm certain that Glenn and his team will work out the bugs and make this smoother and easier to use.<br>

My first impression(backed up by my most ardent critic) is positive. That is a good thing!<br>

Dick</p>