Which flash should I buy?

eskil_hess

<p>Hello !<br /><br /><br />I know this question has been asked before, but I feel the correct answer is individually. </p>

<p>at this christmas time, I am going to wish me a flash. The flash will be used for in door photography, because it's so damn cold here in winter time.<br>

I have seen a lot of these "balloon poppers", lightbulb poppers etc. and I do want to take these kind of pictures myself. I have allready bought a sound trigger, so now I ask for your reccomandation.</p>

<p>Which flash should I make a wish for, the 430speed lite ? </p>

<p>If you want a big and heavy flash and want to brag to your mates (but probably won't want to lug around) then you can get the 580 or 600. Otherwise you can get the smaller and otherwise very capable 430 or the YongNuo as suggested above which does most of what the others do in a smaller and lighter package. Flash won't warm your room though.</p>
Robin Smith

<p><em>Right now I am comparing the 430 and the 52 af-1..I see that the 52-af 1 is pretty new, any thoughts?</em></p>

<p>The 58-AF2 has 3 features missing from the Canon that I found pretty important. That is Thyristor Automatic mode that works. Audio recycle beep and sencondary flash during bounce mode. Also with the Metz you don't have to remember any complicated function codes, you press the menu and select the function from a list. <br>

The Canon is way better built and comes with weather sealing and PC socket, but I'm talking about the 580EX, not sure about the 430EX. Still I think the 430EX is better built than the plasticky Metz. Also Canon's wireless sensors are much better able to pick up wireless signals from the Master flash. With the Metz you need direct and I mean direct straight line with no obstructions whatsoever for the thing to work. I don't even bother using it as a Slave instead I use as a Master flash in wireless configurations.<br>

<br />One thing about the Metz and I don't know if it has to do with my unit alone, is that for no obvious reason the flash will suddenly "flip out" by changing the White Balance on the camera so that your pictures start turning out blue. This use to happen to me with the 58 AF1 every so often, but not very frequently I might add. I'm not sure if they fixed that bug on the 58-AF2.<br>

<br />The Canon does have a feature that is missing from the 58AF , but I'm not sure what it is, I think it has to do with auto bracketing or something but I'll have to get back to you on that.<br />You might want to take a look at this article to help you decide, but first you would have to compare the Canon 430EX with the 580EX:<br>

<br /><a href="http://www.shutterbug.com/content/canon%E2%80%99s-speedlite-580ex-ii-metz%E2%80%99s-mecablitz-58-af-1c-digital">http://www.shutterbug.com/content/canon%E2%80%99s-speedlite-580ex-ii-metz%E2%80%99s-mecablitz-58-af-1c-digital</a><br /><br /></p>