Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #37

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important</em></strong><em>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq" rel="nofollow"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday everyone! The weather is becoming beautiful here in the midwest. I can feel fall coming on, which is kind of bittersweet. I hate to see summer end, but I love fall weather and the fall migration. I just know that after fall, we have a few months of miserable cold, and I hate the cold. At least with photography, every season brings new photo opportunities, unlike other hobbies such as golf, where most people only play when it's warm. Anyways, for my photo in this week's thread I may need some help from everyone else. I shot a bird the other day here in southern Indiana and need help with an ID if anyone knows. It was in a brush environment. I've refered to my guides and narrowed it to either a Vesper Sparrow or Savannah Sparrow, although there is no yellow head patch (maybe female or juvenile?). It may be one of these or it may be something completely different. Give me your input if you have any. Well let's see those photos!</p>

<div>00aoep-496447584.jpg.1800832bb72d045e34d19bec73f76cfd.jpg</div>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>A few weeks back I was trying out a 600mm lens (not the newest one). Here is one of my test shots, a male mallard molting into eclipse plumage. They lose their iconic green neck and head and go into disguise for a few weeks until they get a new set of feathers for mating in the fall. During this period they are earthbound as they also lose their flight feathers.</p><div>00aog1-496454284.jpg.8653292f41a7ab1a1a0edd9a0a4c71ef.jpg</div>

<p>Well the fall sports season has begun at my school and this week I shot soccer and water polo. Being a former soccer coach I love shooting the games these days. Hopefully I get to the football game this weekend.<br>

Daniel, that's a very nice shot. I frequently shoot sports from as low a position as I can get. <br>

Nathan, I can't wait for summer to go, hate the hot weather.</p><div>00aohV-496469584.jpg.c4dcef9cb10fa04d4ee0d789f3183746.jpg</div>

<p>Some great shots, as usual. Lupo, I would never have thought a 85mm f/1.2 lens was good for birding; Dennis love your galloping heron. This week met an old photography friend from Florida in Conques (France) and went looking for photo ops at dawn. Here the sun catches the Abbaye de Ste-Foy. 5D2 / EF 24-105L at 35mm; 1/80s @ F/11.0 ISO 200.</p><div>00aohg-496470084.jpg.fd4ae037b632fbd64576dd80fb930c7c.jpg</div>

<p>Nathan, hard to tell on the sparrow. Lincoln's sparrow, perhaps? <br>

Robin, you're making me want that 24 T/S.<br>

Jake, good looking pug pup!<br>

John B, perfect timing.<br>

Daniel, great perspective at that angle.<br>

Lupo, I like the gossamer-looking wings in this shot (even if it is drinking from a feeder ;-) )<br>

James F, you are right. Perfect spot for landscapes. Nice photo!<br>

Phil R, 600, handheld? Good grief; I need to start working out.<br>

Mike D, sort of the train wreck enigma; I can't stop looking at this photo.<br>

Jeff S, hey, if it's the law...<br>

Massimo, time to move out of the way!<br>

William K, I'm glad you finally stopped rather than passing by. Nice capture of the barn. Lighting is very good.<br>

Ron D, I like the hot air balloon rallies; especially like the detail shots like this.</p>

<p>I have a friend who blasted her 85 f/1.8. Said it wouldn't focus properly and *never* where she aimed it. I mounted the lens on my 7D and took several photos wide open at f/1.8, ISO 1000, focus on subject's right eye. They all came out like this one. What problem, I asked? She hasn't spoken to me in a week now.</p><div>00aohh-496470184.jpg.b5feb106305c27e53736be846be106e2.jpg</div>

<p>Well, its been awhile since I participated here, but I've tried to take a look at each weeks contributions, and have continued to be impressed by the quality of photography I see., and a lot of great photos again today. A couple of weeks ago I was finally able to upgrade some lenses, most notably my very old 100-300 and my original 100mm macro. It was an easy choice for me to get the 100mm L macro, but I really struggled with my decision for the telephoto zoom. It finally came down to image stabilization and weather sealing trumping a bit of extra reach or the use of an extender, so I chose the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. I've shot a bit with the macro and it is a great lens, but I've been very happy with how close I can focus with the zoom and how sharp it is, so have been shooting much more with it. Oh, I also upgraded my camera body from the 50D to the 7D (great deal on a factory refurb). The new gear hasn't made me any better photographer, but when I get my part of it right, I am getting sharper photos with better IQ, and a somewhat higher keeper rate. Here's a Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk as he flew off the top of a utility pole. Taken with the 7D and the 70-300L at ISO 400, 1/1000 and f 6.3.</p><div>00aoic-496479584.jpg.91c767051c025a7b26476f61e3a409d0.jpg</div>