My new Upgrade: Canon EOS 7D

tonycarlson

<blockquote>

<p>If you had one tip to share what would it be?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So, you have learned the manual. Not to sound facetious, but use what you have learned and go out and use the camera. Find your comfort level with the camera. What else is there really to know?</p>

<p>My one tip would be to read the manual several more times, and then refer to it often. I've had mine for almost three years and I'm still learning how to use it more effectively. There is much to learn with this camera and you have to really understand it to get the most out of it and once you do, the results can be stunning. Also, learn how to customize/configure it to best suit your shooting style and needs. <em>Congrats on your purchase!</em> It's really an outstanding camera.</p>

<p><strong>Carry the manual with you for the first year of shooting, at least.</strong><br /> It's easy for things to happen that "you don't remember how you got there", and the hard copy manual can be wonderful at those times. There are important differences between the 'Rebels' and the more advanced APS-C camera controls.</p>

<p>2nd hint - start with P and choosing your ISO and work your way down the other modes and features. Look closely at the operating system settings - many of them make the camera more useful to YOU. This is probably less important to you given your earlier use of Canon cameras.</p>

<p>I don't know what the default is on the 7D, but on most of my Canon dSLRs the default has been to allow you to shoot with NO CARD in the danged camera. Turn this "feature" off immediately. Other settings can be equally important to your own personal style of shooting.</p>

<p>I nearly bought a 7D a week ago, and it will certainly be my next camera body to replace my 20D alongside my 5D mkii. If you've still got your 'Rebel', hang on to it. One body is not enough. ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I like Spot AF for center point assigned to the DOF button. The single most valuable 7D feature for me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's not bad, though I chose to set the DOF preview button to toggle the AF between AI Servo and One Shot. If the camera is in one mode, pressing & holding the DOF preview button puts it in the other. Release the button, and you're back to the camera setting. In AI Focus, it does nothing...</p>

When I jumped from Nikon to canon it was all about noise focusing system and I have decided to go with 50D my friend

who still shots Nikon adviced me to go to 7D as it has 1080p vedio which I don't shoot. But now when I saw the quality of

the vedio and high ISO I can tell you that this cam will do whatever clicks in your mind

<p>As mentioned, I like the back button focus (focus assigned to the "AF-ON" button). I also like the quick control screen activiated from the upper left button on the back. Finally I like the C1, C2, C3 total recall settings on the shooting mode dial on top. I use one for birds in flight, one for static birds and the third for landscapes.</p>

<p>>> If you had one tip to share what would it be?</p>

<p>Be careful when handling -- the mode dial is FAR TOO EASY to accidentally change. Of the five or more EOS camera models I've used regularly since 1990, the 7D's mode dial is too easily changed (e.g., from Av to M).</p>

Thanks to everyone's responses. For those that mentioned Spot Point AF, it's been set. This raises

additional questions - which is better to use with AI Servo, Single Point AF or Spot Point AF? Also, for

portraits what is the advantage of Spot Point AF over Single Point AF?

To answer Keith's question, I like shooting Flowers, Nature, and am improving on my Portrait skills.

Additionally, for those who suggest to start with what I know, I typically use AV and adjust settings

according to my subject.

<p>If you compare the Manual of the 7D with that of the 60D, 50D, 40D, 30D, Rebel, 5D etc you will see about a 70 page increase in the 7D manual mostly having to do with live view and customization functions.</p>

<p>If you make a living shooting specific items with your camera you might want to take advantage of the customization. Otherwise, if you are an infrequent user, or just a weekend warrior you might want to leave the camera "as is" or default which is what I do. The only things I think I changed is the Spot AF , the Grid, Auto Rotate of vertical images(disabled), Blinkies... mostly standard stuff that you can do with older models.</p>

Peter J,

Prior to this event, I had been watching a video on photo composition and the use of color and light. I did

nothing new really. I stayed with my AV settings (that which I always have known). I was excited with the

quality of resolution on the 7D. If there was anything new that I did, it was the use of what I learned about

color and light in post processing. Except for the one picture, I asked myself, "if the Civil War was

captured in color what would it look like?"

Thanks everyone

Tony