need help with enlarger choices

rob_caswell1

<p>All within driving distance and all at a fair and similar price... Omega Super Chromega D Dichroic II vs Beseler 23 C Series III vs antique Omega D-II Enlarger</p>

<p>Other than the occasional use in college, I don't know much about enlargers. Extras included are essentially the rest of the darkroom easels, filters, etc...</p>

<p>I assume the Omega Super is a 4x5? That would be nice because I could see going large format at some point. Can't you print larger contact sheets as well?</p>

<p>Any advice appreciated. Mostly will do black and white</p>

I love my Omega D-2, which is the newer version of the D-II. They are very similar, but I think for the money either the Super Chromega

or Beseler wouldbe better. The former has a color head, which can be used with black and white negs, but if you are not planning to do

color, I'd probably stay away from it. The Beseler is a solid workhorse, and I would love to have one as a second enlarger.

<p>These were all premium enlargers in their day. I'd personally go for one with a color head. I think that that could also be helpful for multi-contrast B&W papers. In any case, it would be nice to have the option of color work without having to fool with gels, etc.</p>

<p>I love my Beseler 23C III. It only goes to 6x9, so you'd need something else for LF. Mine is a tank, though, and I doubt I'd ever need to replace it. I never thought I'd need a bigger one either, but I now have a Beseler 45MX courtesy of someone who passed his father's to me. That spurred me to start shooting 4x5. But I use both enlargers and made a table to could hold both.<br>

This lengthy explanation - go with the one that really grabs you or is in the best shape - you can still add another one later. </p>

<p>there is the D2 with no trapdoor for the thrrd condenser<br>

and the D2V WITH that door so the third condenser can<br>

be adjusted to make printing from smaller 5 x5 5 x9 or 35mm negatives more efficient.<br>

this serves as a filter drawer., it is a good B&W CONDENSER<br>

enlarger. the Chomega uses a different lamphous .\<br>

It likely would be referred to as a diffusion enlarger.<br>

slightly less contrast and less tendency to show scatches and dust.,<br>

Does the descruption of the chromega say if it is Dicrotic. ( meaning filters that are NOT colored plastic and do not fade.)<br>

they were made both ways. Both are 4 x 5 enlargers but are really BIG.<br>

Yes it is not well know., but a 4 x 5 enlarger will make a proof sheet or<br>

NINE 35mm frames. a frame is 1" x 1-1/2" these fit nicely in a 4 x 5 glass or home made negative carrier.</p>

<p>The seseler is a great enlarger with refurb/upgrade kits available at freestyle.bix<br>

and you could buy a dicrotic color head.<br>

excapt for the lack of 4 x 5 capability the beseler 23 should please you.</p>

<p>I</p>

<p>there is the D2 ( straight 4 x 5)<br>

and the D2V WITH the door for the third adjustable condenserso the third condenser can<br>

be adjusted to make printing from smaller or 35mm negatives more efficient.<br>

this serves as a filter drawer., it is a good B&W CONDENSER<br>

enlarger. the Chomega uses a different lamphous .\<br>

It likely would be referred to as a diffusion enlarger.<br>

slightly less contrast and less tendency to show scatches and dust.,<br>

Does the descruption of the chromega say if it is Dicrotic. ( meaning filters that are NOT colored plastic and do not fade.)<br>

they were made both ways. Both are 4 x 5 enlargers but are really BIG.<br>

Yes it is not well know., but a 4 x 5 enlarger will make a proof sheet or<br>

NINE 35mm frames. a frame is 1" x 1-1/2" these fit nicely in a 4 x 5 glass or home made negative carrier.</p>

<p>LOOK it over carefully damaged or missing condenser lenses are costly</p>

<p>The seseler is a great enlarger with refurb/upgrade kits available at freestyle.bix<br>

and you could buy a dicrotic color head.<br>

excapt for the lack of 4 x 5 capability the beseler 23 should please you.</p>

<p>I</p>

<p>I have an Omega D-II. I have played around with a Beseler 23. The Omega D-II is quite a bit bigger than the Beseler. Both are large and very sturdy. The Omega uses lens cones and plates to hold the lenses. The negative holders are a bit harder to find. </p>

<p>Parts for the Beseler seem to be a bit more abundant, if that is of any concern to you. </p>

<p>After looking at a few other enlargers, I would go with the D-II for 4x5 again. Mine has the filter drawer above the condenser for VC filters, I have seen others that don't.</p>

<p>If you will be doing "mostly" black and white I assume you'll be doing some color. So you'll need the color head.</p>

<p>Even if you're doing only black and white, you will need to make some provision for variable contrast paper. Choices are filters (usable with standard b+w enlargers), color heads and 2-tube cold light heads. The color head is the easiest and most convenient I think. </p>

<p>One thing I seriously want to attempt is some fine art etching and Photogravure.</p>

<p>One reason the 4x5 interests me is the potential to shoot 4x5.</p>

<p>Isn't it possible to duplicate negatives onto 8x10 and 11x14 sheet film? My largest format camera is the RB67. Can I get there shooting medium format ? Am I just completely off track here?</p>

<p>That is just one small part of the plan outside the normal photography uses...</p>

<p>I would like to have the option if it gives me a color dupe negative if that makes sense...</p>

<p>IMHO, there simply isn't any debate here. If the price is the same and they're all in good condition, I would want the Super Chromega. The Omegas are both 4x5 and they are almost the same enlarger except tht the Super Cjromega is a newer and has the color head. The color head 1) allows you to do color 2) allows you to dial in the filtration for variable contrast B&W paper without needing to use filters and 3) is a diffusion light source which gives you finer grain in prints than the condensor heads on the DII or the Beseler.<br />A 4x5 enlarger not only lets you print negs up to 4x5, it also handles smaller negatives better than a smaller enlarger (provided that you use the right condensors and lens, etc.). It's bigger, heavier, built to more rugged standards, and the cone of light it provides far exceeds what you need for a smaller negative where a smaller enlarger might just barely provide what you need. Good to have extra horsepower to call on even if you aren't using it all the time.<br />The DII would be my second choice. Again, it's 4x5. And the one I own is circa 1960 but still looks like the day it was built. These things are built like locomotives. They just don't wear out and you would have to go after one with a sledgehammer to break it. Somebody above said negative carriers are hard to find. That's not been my experience -- the Omega D series is one of the most popular enlargers ever made and you can find carriers and all other parts and accessories every day.<br />The Beseler would be my third choice, but there is nothing at all wrong with it at all. I don't own one but have used several. The Beseler 4x5 model is just as good as an Omega D series. The Beseler 23 is equivalent to the Omega B-22 and is in some ways better. Very ruggedly made and very solid. I only rank it No. 3 in comparison with the two other very fine enlargers you have to choose from here.</p>

<p>The 23C is a fine enlarger, but pass. Up my way, they pop up for FREE from time to time, so I wouldn't really pass anything up for it.</p>

<p>As others have said, you want the Omega Super. As with any 4x5 enlarger, make sure it has the condenser lenses with it. Otherwise, it won't do smaller-sized films without some focus issues. Even if you're not shooting 4x5, or don't have a 150mm lens, that enlarger will make the largest prints without getting into wall mounting, which is a pain in the butt. You can also print 120 with a 150mm lens if that's all it has, provided you don't want to make anything over 11x14. Technically you don't *need* the condenser lens for 120, but it will make your life a lot easier, and let you print a little larger. But if you're shooting 35mm, you do need the condenser lenses, and you will also need a 50mm, or at worst an 80mm enlarger lens.</p>

<p>Even if you never shoot 4x5, my experience tells me that colour 4x5 enlargers are the only ones that are worth the effort to really sell - the others, you have to lowball yourself to get rid of them. Plus those bigger lenses can go for a few bucks on ebay. If it costs the same as the other enlargers, and it has the condenser lenses, get the Super. Best case scenario, you can do a lot more with it. Worst case scenario, you'll be in a much better position when you try to get rid of it.</p>

<p>It's a win-win.</p>