National parks for camping during thanksgiving

dinesh.godavarty

<p>Hey guys, </p>

<p>I was planning to go camping in a National park or any other scenic area where I can do landscape photography. </p>

<p>Does anyone know of national parks (outside of FL) where camping can be reasonably pleasant at this time of the year (not colder than freezing)? I want to spend the entire week in the area.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>You might try some in southern Arizona, it is likely to drop to freezing in the northern ones with the higher altitude. From personal experience I got snowed out twice in late Oct. at the Grand Canyon. The area around Tucson was fine though.</p>

<p>If you can live with a State Park instead of a National Park - Anza Borrego Desert State Park in the eastern edge of San Diego County, California, is a nice as any National Park, and probably bigger than some. You can open camp just about anywhere, but will need to have a metal container in which to build your fire (no open ground fires). The weather is particularly nice that time of year. Check <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.com">my blog</a> for some photos. You'll find several posts in the archive over the last few years, always in the winter months.</p>

<p>Joshua Tree National Park is also pretty nice that time of year. If you're just using a regular car you'll likely want to stay to the paved roads, but with a 4WD you could get out to the old mining districts outside the Park boundary. Either way is nice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Along the Pacific Coast in Washington and Oregon would work as well. You may get some wet weather, but we just got back from the Olympic Peninsula of Washington last week and were rewarded with a week of glorious weather. The Olympic National Park, National Forest and State Parks around that area are all great for fall camping.</p>

<p>I've run into freezing night time temps in Yosemite Valley and Calico (in the Mojave near Barstow), between L.A. and Vegas, at Thanksgiving. The Big Sur area on the coast won't likely reach freezing but November can be wet and rainy in Ca. with snow in the higher elevations. Many of the ski areas in California hope for Thanksgiving as the start of the season, some with natural snow, others man-made. National Parks often limit camping and when reservations are available, as this is both a school holiday in many places and folks from snowy areas often migrate south for the season, spots can be hard to find.</p>

<p>Snow is unusual in Joshua Tree even in January/February storms and I wouldn't expect it at Thanksgiving although elevations are at or above 4,000 ft. in many of the campgrounds. In the low desert areas, weather is not typically a problem. </p>

<p>I have thought of Big Bend many times, however, it's close to the Mexican Border and I am sure I will be harassed by the Border Patrol (I am not white).</p>

<p>I went camping in the organ pipe National monument and it was really bad. Everytime I would set up my tripod, the BP agents would show up ask for identification. They would make me stand in front of them (with my hands out of my pockets, inspite of the cold) and ask me what I am doing etc. By next morning I was harassed out of the park. I am very wary of getting a repeat of that. I do not want to be shot for indulging in photography!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would guess 60s in the day and 30s - 40s at night, maybe colder at the higher elevations. You should probably contact the park and ask. I understand that one of the highlights of the Park in November is McKittrick Canyon because of the fall color. You might ask about that, too. </p>