advice fo a good studio light startting kit

opa_diallo1

<p>Hello ,<br>

I am looking for advice on studio lighting kit . I will using it for taking portraits in my basement for family . I saw lot's of packages , including backgrounds , but I really don't know what to choose . Any recommendation is welcome . I shoot with DSL . </p>

<p>What is your budget? Because if you don't mention that, you'll get advice that includes everything from a single hot-shoe flash with an umbrella to $20,000 strobe systems. And, which camera system are you using? That might help narrow things down, depending on the class of equipment (based on budget) that we're talking about.</p>

<p>Opa, My 'family' portrait setup is in a basement room with a 7' white ceiling. I use a roll of white paper lit with two Vivitar 283 flashes for white backgrounds and bounce a third V-283 off the ceiling in front of my <a href="../photo/16265053">subject for the main light</a>. For black backgrounds I use a black sheet, still using the bounced V-283 for the main light. Sometimes I'll use the two other flashes for<a href="../photo/15441080"> 'kickers' to separate the subject</a> from the black background. I've never felt the need for any lighting setup more robust than this. To boot, most of my recent work has been done with a 6mp P&S. Hope this helps. Best, LM.</p>

<p>I can't coment on all the beginner lighting Kits, but I started out with Photogenic Studio Max III's because I wanted AC/DC power, built-in Radio control as well as Constant Color. I purchased 3 units. What I didn't like about the Studio max 3 was the toy-like controls on the back of the unit and the anemic flash duration at full power of only 1/120th of a second.</p>

<p>This was too limiting for what I wanted to do so I later purchased some AlienBees (2) AB800's and (1) AB1600. The flash duration on the Bees was much shorter at full power meaning I could stop motion such as kids jumping up and down all over the place. At first, I did not consider the the AlienBees true AC/DC because the battery it used the original Vagabond battery weighed a Ton, but a few years later the Vagabond-Mini came out making the Bees trully portable.</p>

<p>What I didn't like about the bees was the toy-like plastic housing , the inconsistent color, plus they did not produce 'Beautiful Light' as my Studio Max III's IMHO. Nevertheless I kept them.</p>

<p>Next I'm looking to move up to The Einsteins which are part of the AlienBee line, because the Einsteins are trully professional units that can expand my lighting possibilities. You see where I'm going here ? I purchased my lighting kits based on the specifications and what they can do for me.</p>

<p>Notice that the units I purchased are part of a bigger system that you can grow into, not throw-away eBay specials. I also own some Power packs kits made by Norman.</p>

<p>I purchased these on Ebay and had them refurbished by a licensed electrician, a P800D and (2) P202 power packs. The reason I wanted Power Pack unit is because the lamps/heads they use are much smaller than a Mono-Pack. With smaller lamps you have more options to place them where you want such as on a boom. Plus with a Power pack you only need one wireless trigger such as Pocket Wizard to set a bunch of heads off at the same time. While with mono-lights you need a receiver for each lamp. This allows you to rig up some pretty complicated lighting set ups. Also, the power pack units can run all day long without overheating.</p>

<p>So you see the lighting kit you choose depends on what you want to do with it. There are plenty of them out there so choose wisely.</p>

<p>You could look to getting optical triggers to fire the 283 and 285 in sync with the SB800 or else use the camera's flash to trigger them. Though their cost makes electronic triggers, of the cheaper kind, competative. One can partly mask the camera flash so it doesn't light the subject.<br>

It does depend on if you appreciate and value the difference between the hard light of a flashgun, even if diffused, against the soft light of a properly diffused lightsource which is going to cost you a good part of your budget.</p>

You will be wasting your money purchasing a cheap Ebay kit. Kits like that are underpowered and will break. If you want

to have lights with softboxes and other modifiers, I would suggest starting out with one good studio light and a white

reflector for bounce. You can do a lot with that and build your kit over time. Take a look at Alien Bees.

• 3 months later...

<p >Hello,</p>

<p >The basic things that you need are lighting bulbs, a stand to hold them, a reflector, and a diffuser. Usually fluorescent light is preferred for portraits as it gives a natural look to the subject, so buy some fluorescent bulbs and a stand to hold them. Depending on your budget and requirement, either buy a softbox or a umbrella diffuser. A reflector umbrella would be great for adding light wherever required. I would recommend you to buy lighting kits instead of buying individual products. Again shop online, as they will give you better discounts than the physical stores. I have shopped from PhotoStudioSupplies and have found it trustworthy. You may try them. They give good discounts.</p>