And now, the end is near....

yakim_peled1

<p>Wow, $500 USD for IS and a couple of extra aperture blades. The end must be near. Oh well lots of Canon folk have been looking for these.</p>

<p>Looks like the IDX has made it just in time for the Olympics, although I guess the pros would have gotten theirs anyways.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wow, $500 USD for IS and a couple of extra aperture blades. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>You be really saying wow if you knew what those aperture blades were made of. My recently repaired 24-105 f4L was returned with the failed parts, which was the diaphragm. I was struck but just how cheap looking the parts were.<br>

The aperture blades are made of paper thin plastic, similar to but thinner than the plastic sometimes used as dividers for folders. The bushes that the blades pivot on are cheap white plastic. The housing is cheap plastic, like the type a $2 windup toy is made from, and the electrical ribbon conector is paper thin.</p>

<p>"The aperture blades are made of paper thin plastic, similar to but thinner than the plastic sometimes used as dividers for folders. The bushes that the blades pivot on are cheap white plastic. The housing is cheap plastic, like the type a $2 windup toy is made from, and the electrical ribbon conector is paper thin."</p>

<p>Well, that explains the high price. It must take some very skilled labor to assemble all the crap into a working L lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But Unca' Yakim, it has only, only 18 mega pixies!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alas, at my age even handling a mere 18 million <a href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aaxX_JkRkzk/TPQOgK_VGiI/AAAAAAAAAAM/WO-uD_qjw-g/s1600-R/pixie.jpg">pixies</a> is a bit of a handful. Fairies or sprites are a bit easier to handle but they are getting rare. </p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br /> Yakim.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well, that explains the high price. It must take some very skilled labor to assemble all the crap into a working L lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well you wouold hope so, except that in my case all that cheap crap failed. The replacement part was $175! I am looking at the diaphragm now. I am also looking at the stapler on my desk, and frankly the stapler looks far more expnsive to make!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Concerning the parts in the lens...<br>

A patient with a broken leg was talking with the doctor about fixing it. He was told it would need a couple of screws. The broken leg guy asked "how much is this going to cost to fix doc?" Doc says... about 5K minimum. Guy says... "holy crap.. those must be some expensive screws" Doc says... no they are only about 5 dollars. You're paying for me to put them in the right place.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> Doc says... no they are only about 5 dollars. You're paying for me to put them in the right place.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not exactly the correct analogy. They charged $175 for the cheap parts, plus a further $325 to install them.</p>