Canon Mirrorless System Leaked - EOS M + 2 Lenses

leopoldstotch

<p>Surprised there isn't anything about this here; other forums have been alight since this broke 18 hours ago. Long story short, pics of the body and system due to be <a href="http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/10/canon-sends-invites-for-july-23rd-event-mirrorless-camera-looming/">announced on Monday</a> have surfaced. <br /> <strong>Key Points:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>APS-C Sensor</li>

<li>One body</li>

<li>'EF-M' mount</li>

<li>20mm f/2.0 STM</li>

<li>18-55mm STM</li>

<li>~20mm flange distance</li>

<li>No EVF or built-in flash</li>

<li>New external flash</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>Images:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li><a href="http://www.canonpricewatch.com/">http://www.canonpricewatch.com/</a></li>

<li><a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_aps-c_compact.html">http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_aps-c_compact.html</a></li>

<li><a href="http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/20/canon-eos-m-possible-leak/">http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/20/canon-eos-m-possible-leak/</a></li>

</ul>

<p>Specs haven't come out yet, but expect them shortly ahead of Monday. Some of you will call bogus on this, but leaks like this almost always happen this close to an announcement date. Such was the case with the T4i, 5D3, 1DX, etc. Either way, we'll know for sure within 72hrs.<br /> Thoughts?</p>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>It'd be no big surprise. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the compatibility for an 'EF-M' lens is... probably not FF which would be disapointing, an 22/2 would be (hopefully) awesome FF. visually, they remind me of the Sony stuff.</p>

<p>Unfortunately there's not a snowball's chance in hell of these lenses working with FF bodies. With a (supposed) 20mm flange distance against an EF body's 44mm, it'll be a physical impossibility. Plus these are designed for an APS-C image circle, just like EF-S lenses. Someone in another forum also did a rough measurement of the mount diameter (based on the 43mm thread of the 20/2.0), and apparently it's narrower than an EF mount.</p>

<p>I hope the use of the EOS brand name, and the mount name EF-M, is not just marketing fluff, but indicates that there is electronic compatibility such that Canon could (and would) supply an inexpensive mount adapter to allow EF and EF-S lenses to be used on this camera. But I kind of expect to be disappointed in this regard.</p>

<p>Then again, if there is really no EVF -- if all you get is Live View -- then I wouldn't buy the camera anyway.</p>

<p>All this assumes, of course, that this "leak" is legit... I guess we'll find out on Monday.</p>

<p>Couple other noteworthy things I forgot:</p>

<ul>

<li>The electrical contact pattern on the hotshoe is different than that of the current E-TTL II bodies, so there may be limited/no forward or backward compatibility where flash is concerned.</li>

<li>Wherever I wrote 20/2.0, I obviously meant 22/2.0. It seems my neurons haven't re-settled since I stuck my head in the microwave this morning.</li>

</ul>

<blockquote>

<p>Took them this long to come up with such bland look?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe it will be available in red, pink silver, blue and goth black...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Looks interesting. I use a Canon G12 as my don't-want-to-carry-a-DSLR-on-this-occasion sized camera and would probably have gone to a G1x if the zoom had been a bit longer or wider. So a neat body with a few lens options looks good. So far I have been put off the other systems such as the Sony NEX by the price and size of the lenses. I can't imagine Canon will be markedly different from Sony on price and size so I think I would still be in the market for a G1x type all-in-one camera but with a bigger zoom range.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It took them a long time to copy Sony NEX's idea. But let's wait for the details. The extra contacts in the hotshoe may be for an accessory viewfinder and/or other add-ons. Now we seem to have EF, EF-s(mall) and EF-m(ini).<br>

The EF-M will be a system camera, probably the possibilities of the system will be more important than the details of the first camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It took them a long time to copy Sony NEX's idea</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's hardly <em>that.</em> People have been clamouring for a small, interchangeable lens camera with a bigger sensor for <em>years</em> now - long before the NEX, and indeed, long before Sony even dipped a tentative toe in the camera business...</p>

<p>I have a 7D and 5D with a full complement of lenses. Ditto with a Sony NEX 5N with EVF which I find quite useful for a lot of things except for action and sports. I do not need another body using yet another set of lenses. The Sony EVF is very good for an EVF but not as good, particularly in bright light as the optical finder on the 7D. What I want is a Canon EF adapter to Sony that does IS and aperture that does not cost four hundred USD. Sony focus peaking makes manual focus quite feasible. That expensive adapter, however does work with STM lenses so they say in their literature. I really like the idea of the smaller mirrorless camera and it is too bad that Canon did not come out earlier. We will see what they come out with. The two real problems for me with the Sony are difficulty in bright light with both the LCD and EVF. I can see the target much better with the 7D; and, the required use of long large fast lenses, canon phase detection (as opposed to Sony contrast detection), and Canon AI for sports. The Sony made 1.5 sensor is less noisy up to ISO 3200 than the 7D although I cannot see much difference after post processing. I wonder if Canon has a new sensor for this new body. </p>

<p>We'll see what is actually announced, and I suspect that much of what seen is not the final look of the equipment. The timing is perhaps good for us - we have been considering replacing my wife's xTi with something with a larger & brigher LCD and with HDR video. If the quality is there to match the weight then it might make some sense for us to seriously consider switching one of the bodies, and to acquire a couple of basic lenses for that body. The devil is going to definitely be in the details on this one.</p>

Quite underwhelming (like an NEX-3 with on EOS badge on it), so I don't see a good reason not to continue acquiring more M4/3 glass and eventually an OM-D. Agree that its a non starter without a VF and the possibility of carrying my 25 oz 70-200 F4IS to use on mirrorless system through a yet to be announced adapter sort of defeats the purpose of having a compact system camera. I remember a time when Canon led the industry in innovation (focus motors in the lenses, fast / silent USM technology, no aperture rings on lenses, multiple AF sensors, eye control AF, Image Stabilization, best in class AF performance, FF sensors, best in class CMOS sensors). Seems like Canon is late to game on many fronts and is more fearful of cannibalization of sales within its own product line than addressing the competition.

<p><em>"Should I buy now or wait for the Mk II?" </em>LOL! Shouldn't the question be, <em>"7D vs. EF-M vs. 5dII...which is better?</em>" In all seriousness, it looks like a cool camera. I rather like the minimalist design; the less attention it'll attract. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Sony RX100 but decided to stick with the G12 until Canon announced the new releases for the Fall, just to see what would be offered. I'm glad I did! I'm eager to see what all of the specs will entail. Definitely interesting times. <em>Goth black</em>...<em>hmmm</em>...</p>

<p>The "fact" that the zoom lens is an 18-55 would be a pretty positive indication that The rumored camera is, in fact, APS-C. Presumably the T4i sensor.</p>

<p>Canon won't release adapters to other manufacturer's lenses, but give the Chinese a week or two and they'll be available on eBay!</p>