need advice on how to get most out of my camera?

storie

<p>Hi, I am very clueless when it comes to digital cameras and software. I am wondering how to get the best shots from my canon powershot? I don't even have a DSLR and can't afford to get one right now. Any advice? I also just want to find out if my pics are any good. I would love to do stock or art photography. maybe its a bit of a dream right now but could anyone help with how to get where I want to go?

<p>I'm not going to try to critique your work, but I will tell you that you can do great work with a Powershot. You have to work around some issues, depending on the model, but the camera as such is capable of matching anything you could do with any other camera with the same resolution and noise capabilities.<br>

Frankly, even the greatest photographers of all time were always in the process of learning how to get the most out of their cameras. </p>

<ul>

<li>What you can do first is to learn the full capabilities of your camera beyond the simple point and shoot level. Study the manual deeply and learn how to take control of your camera to make it serve your purposes.</li>

<li>At the same time, spend lots of time reading up on topics like "composition" - not only in photography books, but in the graphic arts as well. Pretty much the same issues in both, except that it used to be easier for the painter to "move" an inconvenient tree. With the photo editing programs, now even the pyramid gets moved over to fit.</li>

</ul>

<p>Thanks. It is great to find a sight with people willing to help. I tend to want to get to close up and am trying to find ways to keep the whole image sharp. I think I may experiment with different ISOs.I read getting the apeture smaller would help (e.g f16 as opposed to f8) I am wondering if using a smaller ISO or higher light mode would work since I don't have an AP setting? Thanks again for the advice.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“I tend to want to get to close up and am trying to find ways to keep the whole image sharp. . . I read getting the [aperture] smaller would help (e.g f16 as opposed to f8) I am wondering if using a smaller ISO or higher light mode would work since I don't have an AP setting?”</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="../photo/9206262&size=lg">Close and Sharp - Canon P5 IS</a>.</p>

<p>Yes, using a smaller aperture will increase the Depth of Field if every other aspect of the shot is kept constant.<br>

Once you have decided the exposure to use: if you stop the lens down (i.e. use a SMALLER aperture), you will have – to either:<br>

a. INCREASE the ISO or<br>

b. SLOW the Shutter Speed or<br>

c. BOTH,<br>

to compensate for the Aperture change.</p>

<p><strong>What Powershot camera are you using?</strong><br>

<strong>What does ‘higher light mode', mean?</strong></p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>To get "the whole image sharp" you need to use small apertures (larger numbers), like you said, "f16 as opposed to f8". However, you will need to use slower shutter speeds and/or a higher ISO, not lower. (I don't know what you mean by "higher light mode".)<br>

You should invest in the book, "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.</p>

<p>Every newbie should get a good basic photography book. There are many good ones and any good bookstore should have a few to choose from. If not try Amazon or bn.com (Barnes & Noble). There is too much to learn to try to learn piecemeal. Do some reading and some shooting, and when you have more specific questions ask us. Also read and reread the manual that came with the camera.</p>

<p>A good first learning stop is right here on photo.net under the "learning" tab at top. Take a look!</p>

<p>Freedman Patternson's "Photography for the Joy of It" <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Joy-It-Introductory-Workshop/dp/155263793X">http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Joy-It-Introductory-Workshop/dp/155263793X</a> is a good book to start with. Very inspirational.</p>

<p>Your local library is brimming with good books, for free, to get you going and keep you going. Dig in! The longest journey begins with the first step.</p>

<p>Jennifer, which Canon Powershot camera are you using, it would really be a plus to know the model you have to help you better with the settings. I own a Canon Powershot SX30 IS along with the Canon 60D DSLR. Tell me which one you have and I'll give you some interesting advice!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I own a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes and I shall add: you know how to use it.<br>

<a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=1007672">Jennifer would benefit by having a squiz at your work</a>.<br>

I have referenced that folder before as a fine example of images which can be made from a Powershot Camera.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Thanks again for the suggestions. I will definately look into some of the books. William W I am using a powershot 1400sd. It doesn't have an apeture setting as far as I can tell. So I am trying to find the right way to trick it into doing what I want. I thought changing the ISO would force the smaller aperture. Also there are the little modes for portrait, fireworks, lowlight, beach, etc. so i was thinking I could try a higher light mode such as beach and see if that would help my depth of field and get my close ups sharper. I have good SLR film cameras but no longer use them because film is so expensive. Plus I live in the boonies and getting someone who does a decent job developing is nearly impossible. Thanks again I really appreciate advice from someone with so much experience.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>" . . . I am using a powershot 1400sd. It doesn't have an apeture setting as far as I can tell. So I am trying to find the right way to trick it into doing what I want. I thought changing the ISO would force the smaller aperture."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry for the delay in the response I was attempting to get my hands on a camera like yours to note exactly how the Mode P-AE functions and to attempt a work around to manually manipulate the Aperture: and whilst I could not get the exact model as yours, I do believe you are correct that you cannot manually control the Aperture.</p>

<p>I believe that the closest you can come to managing the Aperture (and or the Shutter Speed) is to manually select and manually change the ISO and also use P-AE mode.</p>

<p>P-AE mode has a similar functionality throughout the Canon Range and therefore as a rough guide I expect that the following would be an indicative example:<br>

– if you are at ISO200 and P-AE selects F/4 @ 1/60s<br>

– if you increase the ISO to 400, P-AE will first select F/4 @ 1/125s<br>

– and then if you increase the ISO to 800, P-AE will then select F/5.6 @ 1/125s.</p>

<p>I suspect the only way you will know - is to try it out.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>Thanks again I just got back here to take another look too. I did look at Mr. Loya's work as well. Definately worth the look. I would love any advice you can give me as well. This gives me hope that I too hopefully can get good pictures despite my financial limits. I have been taking the advice to play around and see what it will do and to look at other's work. Very insporational. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I see what I want to capture and hopefully other see what I was seeing when I am succesfull. But I don't always know technically how to get the effect I am looking for. Really working on how I need to change settings to be succesfull at capturing what I see in different situations. Thanks again. hopefully I will get to those books that were suggested soon. For now just enjoying playing.</p>