Taking Photos Near Shotguns in Action

lrblackburn

<p> I'm going out to take some photos at a Skeet Tournament this afternoon. The event promoter is a co-worker, so I will have access to any where I want to go. I've never been to a Skeet Shoot and have never been to this venue, so I really don't know the layout of the place. I assume I will want to be to the side and slightly forward from the shooters.<br>

My question is - Is there a safe distance I should maintain to avoid powder burns to my lens? I know I will be at a distance where my safety is not in question, just not sure how far the hot gases from the blast can carry enough particles to burn the lens coating.</p>

<p>Get a 300mm lens and get out to the side and a bit in front of the shooter. You won't get any powder burn unless maybe using a 17-50mm lens! Just kidding. I doubt this would be a problem bless you are within a foot of the gun!<br>

Use a step ladder to get up higher, lay on the ground..to get lower. I would think it will be pretty hard to get an exploding 'pigeon' but go luck. Remember to get the shooter's reaction after scoring a hit. <br>

Check your background and the moving sunlight as you shoot.</p>

<p>Talk it over with the range safety official. If you fire a shotgun you don't get powder burns so the only way you'll harm your camera is by getting hit with a load of number seven shot out the muzzle of a twelve guage shotgun. The shooters move from station to station so you no doubt will have to stay out of the firing area. It's been fifty years since I shot skeet so things may have changed. Stay out of the line of fire and do not impede or get near the shooters. I am a former firing range officer. Do what you are told. Remember that the firers swing through and track targets. I would use a 100-400L. </p>

<p>You should be able to get good pictures from behind the firing line, but lighting and getting the shooter and the target may not always be possible. Here is an example of the terrible early afternoon light with the target being hit.</p>

<p>I was told his shotgun cost as much as my house.</p><div>00ade3-483877684.JPG.4b459106c0c3623394b68fbd0ba3decb.JPG</div>

<p>I've shot thousands of frames in very close proximity to those hunting both clay pigeons and their actually feathered counterparts, for dinner. <br /><br />Safety (including hearing protection) is the top of your list. Being able to clean dust and grit off your camera and lens is a consideration in settings like this, and is one of the reasons I like a high quality multi-coated filter on some of my lenses when working such scenes for extended periods.<br /><br />Definitely talk to everyone involved before you work too close, as this sounds like a competition, and many shooters won't want anything unusual in their field of view. Competitive trap and skeet shooters are very methodical ... it's like golf. Anything out of the ordinary in their peripheral vision can throw off their carefully cultivated muscle-memory/reflex style of acquiring and hitting a target. For more intimate shots, get with the shooters while they're practicing. For instance:</p><div>00aden-483899584.jpg.cf5433d6ee1ccf840397cb795fdcdc43.jpg</div>

<p>Be sure to wear eye protection, as bits of lead and clay can bounce around in surprising ways. But you also want to develop your ducking reflex, just in case you find your position is a little too down-range. <br /><br />I jest. Simply do not be down-range. Even a little, unless you are absolutely, positively sure you understand the people involved, their skills and understanding of your purpose, and you're sure that the shot is worth the risk. I've taken that risk in unpredictable field situations, and occasionally regretted it. I've only been hit with bird shot a couple of times, from a fair distance. It hurts. And accidents happen.</p><div>00adep-483901584.jpg.f5c44bbe39ad72495f55e1894171cd21.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for the information. As it turned out, there were great places to shoot from where I was safe, non-distracting, and still had an angle that would give me recognizable faces. The harsh sun & shadows were a different story.</p><div>00adfp-483935684.thumb.jpg.bad64143c60387e0acddeba1518e39a5.jpg</div>