40/2.8 is very good

yakim_peled1

<p>Me thinks I'll be buying one of these w/n the next couple months. <br>

As slow as it is (for a prime) the price, the size, the functionality, and (apparent) IQ (though IQ is far more than resolution) would seem to more than make up for it. </p>

<p>I'm also extremely curious about it's flare characteristics, especially given the exposed nature of the front element, and no apparent way to do a lens hood (other than threaded)...</p>

<p>A new type of AF drive that Canon has introduced with this lens and the new 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS STM.<br>

STM = Stepper Motor</p>

<p>It allows full time manual focusing, and is (apparently) a bit quicker (and quieter) than DC motor, but is really designed for video, allowing full time AF during shooting (w/ the new T4i). Why? because the focus speed can be easily changed by the camera (during focus), allowing smooth focal transition.</p>

<p>There is a dedicated hood: ES-52. It's so small it seems to mainly serve as a grip extension for the really thin MF ring. Heck, it's even ribbed to match the MF ring.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I picked up The New Pancake yesterday, it's an especially nice fit on an original (and still fairly compact) EOS-1 film

body- the lens barely protudes forward of the camera's grip yet everything balances well. I also like that it

doesn't look too freakish, in a way that might draw attention! Build quality is most pleasingly good, nothing rattles or

wobbles. The STM motor runs quietly in AF mode, a smooth low whir, but in MF ops it makes a rather odd

warbling sound depending on how fast you twist it!

Strangely enough- or not- I happen to have a Canon Pellix QL here with the Pellix-only FL* 38/2.8 "pancake" for

comparison: the new lens is just slightly less tall and a few mm larger in diameter than the old. These two machines

are like apples and oranges, so I had to measure 'em by weight: with battery and strap the Pellix is 2.09 pounds, the

EOS 2.29.

*sometimes referred to as FL-P

One more detail: unlike the FL pancake this lens has no focusing distance markings or depth of field scale. Hyperfocal shooting, hah, you wish. Nope, no infrared point either-

sorry. There is a minimum focusing distance reminder printed on the side, however: 0.3m/0.98ft.