non-PASM digital camera

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I'm going to make the switch from film to digital in order to cut costs. At present I use a Hasselblad 500cm and various rangefinders.</p>

<p>I've looked at several prosumer cameras, but the persistent use of the PASM wheel doesn't suit the way I'm accustomed to using a camera.</p>

<p>I really like the Fuji X100 control paradigm. Aperture ring on the lens, shutter on the body, both with an Auto setting.</p>

<p>Would people be kind enough to suggest other cameras that offer similar controls? I'll consider any type of camera, present or a few generations old, so long as the sensor is no smaller than Micro 4/3.</p>

<p>Many thanks,<br>

Laurence</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Aperture ring on the lens, shutter on the body, both with an Auto setting</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They built that long time ago (2007) in a very nicecamera. Guess what? nobody bought it and it died right away ... Check out the Panasonic DMC-L1</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A digital back? Could you elaborate?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not really... I don't shoot MF (film or digital). It is something you would need to research. And I am not so sure I would buy new but depending on how much you like you current camera it's an option.</p>

<p>http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/digital-backs/cfv-50.aspx</p>

<p>If you're going to make the move into Digital, you'll have to make some adjustments. I find using the wheels a lot easier than the old paradigm of aperture ring on the lens and shutter on top of the body. Also, depending on the mode, the controls can take on different functions, which may sound confusing, but it really is not (in computers, we'd call it "context-aware"). For example, on my Canon 7D (and most Canons...), the "Main Dial", located near the shutter button, controls my selection of exposure parameter. In Tv (shutter priority), it selects the shutter speed, in Av (Aperture priority), it selects the aperture, while the camera figures out the other. No need to remember which mode you're in and which control to operate. If I shoot in manual mode, you can choose which of the two functions (shutter/aperture) the main dial changes, and then I have the second dial on the back for the other function. And all this time, my left hand is only supporting the camera.</p>

<p>To be sure, there is a long, and sometimes steep learning curve, especially if your film gear is from before the days of autofocus, or even fully manual. But the basics of exposure, light and composition have not changed one bit.</p>

<p>I made the leap from pre-AF Minoltas to a Canon 7D a year and a half ago, and the best advice I received was to go into a camera store and handle and operate the cameras from different makers, and different models from each maker. Even better would be to find a friend or colleague who would be willing to go with you, or go over their kit in detail.</p>

<p>And if you really like your Hasselblad, there are digital backs for them, but you'd probably best be sitting down when you see those prices!</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>If you get a digital camera small and light enough to manage with one hand, you may quickly appreciate the thumb wheel/dial and, if available, forefinger wheel/dial controls.</p>

<p>I didn't expect to adapt so readily but after getting a dSLR several years ago with thumb/forefinger controls for shutter speed and aperture, I actually found it awkward to go back to my manual everything cameras that required using my left hand to operate the aperture ring. With the heavier dSLR I prefer to use the left hand just to support the camera and operate the zoom (and occasionally focus) ring.</p>

<p>With a compact digicam thumb and forefinger controls would be a must for me. I often shoot one-handed and carry the camera at my side, so being able to adjust everything with just one hand is really useful.</p>

<p>All very sound advice, thank you all.<br>

I shall do my best not to be a stick in the mud and try the new paradigm. I can well understand how having the controls under the thumb and index finger of my right hand would be useful.<br>

Perhaps one of the micro 4/3 SLR style cameras with a hand strap would be the way to go.<br>

That said the DMC-L1 is intriguing.<br>

I haven't yet recovered sufficiently from the price of the digital Hassy backs to comment on them!</p>

<p>If by rangefinders you mean Leica's then the Panasonic M4/3 could be the answer for you as with the tie-up with Leica the adaptor is made by Pany rather than a third party. You will still be able to use your left hand to focus and change aperture becuase without the electronic coupling you will be working semi-manually. The G3 for instance has just one knurled wheel for aperture and shutter adjustment with its own lenses ... pressing it changes between the options ... much better than the clumsy DSLR system of knurled wheel for one and a dial on the back for the other. But there you have an example how different cameras suit different people and re-inforces the suggestion to go to a good camera store or two and try the offerings for yourself. I have disliked DSLRs for ages but others think they are trhe bee's knees :-)</p>