Fate of E6 procesing

<p>In addition to what Winfried said for Germany:<br>

Besides of CEWE, there is also Fuji Gera as a mail order lab. They have a very good quality, but they have rised their prices in 10/11 up to 2.95€ for 135 and 3.95€ for 120 E6-developing. Before you could by 100 mail-order-envelopes for 135 and 120 at 1.59€ each.<br>

What's funny : The electronic chain Media Markt has since 3 month no E6 film, before they offered Ektachrome Elite.<br />But they still do 135 E6 developing for 1€ (without mounting) and send the film to Fuji! This is by far the cheapest offer here.<br>

Greetings Waldemar</p>

<p>I use E6 Mailers and they work just fine, I got them from B&H Video. You can develop E6 at home and you actually be successful at it, I develop all my own B&W and C41 at home. As long as producers continue to use movie film E6 will be around. </p>

<p>Hi Duane</p>

<p>I hoped to view some of your photos taken with your Brownie and Canon AE. But something ain't quite right with your website gallery....Glad you still do film. 'Wet' E6 processing is impossible in most of UK. Personally, digital and me never got on - too many menus, options and controls and far too fiddly for my fat fingers! <br>

<br />John</p>

<p>Thanks John Fee.<br>

Yeah, I have to fix that. Photo.net is a hobby area for me, I use the Image Pro site because it's simply perfect for me to put up my work and direct out of photo.net people to my work. I have several rolls of browny and 35mm c41 and B&W I need to get my butt down to my lower basement and develop. I have been tied up lately with other money making projects that has kept me from my development processes. I'll really try and get to that in the next couple of weeks. <br /><br />I've found I can do E6 with a cooler, that's right a big cooler you might put ice in for pop and beer, it helps keep the temperature of the development tank at 100 degrees F or 38 celsius for those out of the USA. And over about 21 minutes or so the E6 will develop. Takes a lot more hard work to E6 developed by the hand tank method I am used to using for my C41 and B&W which are a lot easier to do IMO. <br /><br /><br>

E6 is definitely a different kind of Challenge all together when you are developing at home. </p>

<p>Thanks, Duane. We didn't know how good we had it in them old days. Since I posted above, I found an E6 developer in UK who still uses 'dunk and dip'. No Cibachrome now of course, but he promises me even better prints using the latest digital scanner and hi gloss paper. Not cheap. </p>

<p>I don't understand all the crying here, especially not from the Americans: I've never had a local E6 lab here. And that has <strong>never</strong> been a problem at all!! And I am shooting slide film for about 30 years now. I've always used mail order. That way I have nationwide access to the best labs. I just put my film in the envelope, bring it to the mail box 500m away from my home and that's it. Two days later I have my slides back in excellent quality and at reasonable cost.<br>

Are Americans too stupid to put film in an envelope and send it to a lab? You have enough excellent labs in your country doing mail order. Using mail order is also in most cases cheaper than running to a local lab: Going to your local lab costs time (time is money): How long do you need to drive to your local lab? 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes? How much nice things could you have done instead in this wasted time? How much money does it cost you for fuel or the train to get to your lab? Parking fees for your car?<br>

Mail ordering is cost efficient, time saving and convenient. I've always used it.<br>

I guess lots of you are ordering their film by mail order from the usual suspects like B&H, Adorama and Freestyle. Why not using the same efficient system for film developing?</p>

<p>And of course you also have the possibility of self-development as Randall has said. E6 home processing is <strong>not</strong> rocket science. By the way: Freestyle has recently announced to offer the Tetenal E-6 home processing kits in the next weeks.</p>

<p>I agree with Francois P. Garnier here.</p>

<p>Over here in the UK, i have been using mail order for E6 processing since around 1999. After a long break from photography, i was glad to find Fujichrome and EKtachrome products were still available ten years on.</p>

<p>I would say the past year has seen some changes. With Kodak retiring Ektachrome and before that Kodachrome. We also now have a smaller selection of Fujichrome reversal films available. The same labs i saw advertised back in the 90's offering a E6 service, are still processing E6 materials to this very day. A local E6 processor i could have used ceased back in the mid 90's to my memory. So i have had no other option but to use a mail order processing lab, for every roll of E6 film i have ever shot.</p>

<p>The one thing which does concern me in the long term is... will the current processing volume hold on for the labs, once the remaining Ektachrome films are shot and processed. Are the Ektachrome films going to be replaced by Fujichrome, or prehaps by other film formats or Digital</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just to add a bit of info, I was looking through my Freestyle Photographic Supplies catalog today, and found the Arista Liquid Rapid E-6 kit which I ordered and I am going to mix up some chemicals when it arrives and try out a few rolls of Fuji Sensia 100 in it and see what happens. I'll shoot the rolls with my AE-1 Program Kit I have, there are some waterfalls in the area I am interested in doing with film and digital. I'll let you see and know how it works from Hand Tank developing.</p>

<p>I photographed with Velvia 100 & 50, processed my own E6 with the 5 L Kit from Kodak with a Phototherm.<br /> Unfortunately these days are gone, presently, I would need to purchase a large unheard amount of E6 chemicals individually or Kits from Europe, VERY Expensive with Shipping. Besides the price of Transparency Film has skyrocketed in the past year.<br /> I would recommend switching to Ektar 100 Pro negative film, the price of the film is reasonable & the C-41 process can be found more easily, even Kodak recommends the switch with Ektar 100 & openly admits this the alternative for photographers shooting Transparencies on the Ektar 100 Description Ad.</p>

<p>Robert: There is no problem in continuing developing E6 at home. E6 kits are available from Fuji, Tetenal, FS/Arista. Costs are very low with self developing. Film prices are very reasonable if you buy from online distributors like FS, B&H, Adorama etc.</p>

<p>Switching to Ektar instead of using slide film cannot be a solution. Negative film cannot replace positive film, the characteristics are much too different. A transparency is always a finished positive picture: You can hold it against the light and enjoy it, viewing it on a lightbox with a slide loupe for magnification and excellent quality, and best of all, project it onto a screen and enjoy it as the most impressive and brillant pictures photography can deliver.<br>

It is impossible to do all that with negative film.<br>

Besides the current ISO 100 slide films like Provia 100F, Velvia 100F, Velvia 100 (and also E100G, Elitechrome 100, Sensia, Astia) all deliver finer grain than Ektar 100. Kodaks marketing statement that Ektar is the finest grain color film is a marketing fairy tale. It is not the truth. Lot's of experts have tested that and have come to that conclusion.<br>

Furthermore concerning resolution and sharpness the advantage of ISO 100 slide films is even bigger. 30-40% higher resolution with ISO 100 slide films compared to Ektar.<br>

Have a look here, a document with four different independet tests:<br>

http://www.aphog.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=401&Itemid=1</p>

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...