Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #12

nathangardner

<p>Very nice shots!<br /> I have a Great Egret rookery nearby my office, so I'm using it to try out various lens/ settings combinations. Here is a bird in flight with the 300 F4L and 1.4X TC.<br /> My next set will incorporate using flash.</p><div>00aAnG-452037584.jpg.3f7281a311889c4a3aadaf4b6970b397.jpg</div>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy Spring and Thursday. I rented a Canon 300mm f4, 400mm f5.6, and a 1.4xTC for a week. I wanted to get some hands on experience. Schedules made way for an overnighter to Cape May. While there we went to Sunset Beach and noticed some folks who seemed very well dressed for the beach. It was a small elegant wedding. We're not much on photographing people, but the feel of the event was inviting and hard to ignore. We asked if it was ok to take photos. Yes. Then we heard the story of the wedding. Everyone was taking photos with cell phones and the Mother of the Groom was so happy that we would do this. She felt that we had been brought together. It was a moment of serendipity and probably the most valuable thing I've done with my camera. I'm not comfortable posting photos of the wedding party, but I couldn't resist the Mother's blue nails and sandals on the jetty.<div>00aAns-452053584.JPG.59d3782f1c7c34d001b46131fe6f0975.JPG</div>

The Dr. Put me on prednisone and the poison ivy cleared up pretty quickly. The rash is still visible, but the irritation

and swelling is gone. Luckily I had only about 2 days of misery.

Mark,

I am jealous. I've been wanting to get a good shot of a pintail for quite awhile. Nicely done.

Lots of great photos so far, and I love to see all the birds!

<p>No shooting for a couple of weeks; too busy battling health insurance company, getting the house ready to sell, preparing to move back to Arizona, fitting out our new travel trailer, and the usual nuisance stuff that goes with aging. But, enough whining. Here's one from the wayback machine, shot in Hackberry, AZ with an EOS 300 (sorry, no EXIF data)...</p><div>00aAoA-452059584.jpg.608a7dd24e1d856bf0cda36c2019feb7.jpg</div>

<p><a href=" Rachel src="http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6855992560_f9c5484757_z.jpg" alt="Rachel" width="427" height="640" /></a><br /><br /><strong>Rachel</strong><br>

<a href=" Rachel /><br />Camera: Canon EOS 7D<br />Lens: Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM<br />Exposure Program: Manual<br />Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)<br />Aperture: f/16.0<br />Focal Length: 70 mm<br />ISO Speed: 100<br />Exposure Bias: 0 EV<br />Flash: Off, Did not fire<br /><br />Strobes:<br />200ws strobe with a beauty dish attached, overhead, slightly in front of the model as the key light.<br />Canon 430EXII on a light stand with a blue gel and shot grid attached as the backdrop light.<br />Both triggered with radio triggers.</p>

<p>Nathan, I too am allergic to poison ivy. After returning from a tramp in the woods or any other activity that would put me next to it, a hot soapy bath will remove most of the irritant. Not all of it but enough to make it bearable. I took prednisone for another ailment and found myself awake at 3AM watching Nova on TV.<br>

Good Luck.<br>

Pictures are great this week.</p>

<p>I have been visiting art museums recently to see and photograph both the art and the architecture. Mostly I am interested is finding some abstract views of the museums' architectures.<br>

<br /> Here is a view of the lobby of the Frye Art Museum on Capitol Hill in Seattle.</p><div>00aAqo-452081584.jpg.fb7afc7ddfc8943fa47ec01671a7de2c.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Great horned owl nesting:</strong><br>

Canon 7D, EF 500mm f/4L IS, EF 1.4x TC, Induro C414 tripod, Wimberley Sidekick on Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead, at ISO 200, Av mode, +1EV, f/7.1, resulting in 1/160th sec:<br>

<a title="Great horned owl nesting... by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Great horned owl nesting... src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7049/6988699485_be7b8e7173_c.jpg" alt="Great horned owl nesting..." width="800" height="800" /></a></p>

<p>Taken last Sunday. The wall is of the oldest existing church in Warsaw (built around 1300). It is possible to identify patches of new brickwork as traces of repairs done after WWII.</p>

<p>Canon EOS 50E + 50mm/1.8, Ilford Pan400 in PC-TEA </p>

<div>00aAsl-452107584.jpg.b9a078cce541a02fe400e0fe736a5c17.jpg</div>