Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #15

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq" rel="nofollow"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday everyone! A little early this week I know, but I don't know if I can make it to midnight. Springtime is in full swing here in Kentucky/Indiana, and I had a chance to play around with the 5D Mk III this week. Here's a shot from Easter morning of a bleeding heart, or so I'm told, with the new camera and the 100mm macro. Last week's photos were phenomenal, looking forward to this week's.</p>

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I haven't been shooting much lately so I'll post one of my favorite photos... It's a little old (c. 2009) but I just love this photo and I was so lucky I was there to capture it...</p>

<p><a href=" Milham in the morning src="http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2753/4100149345_d0f0fda31c_z.jpg" alt="Milham in the morning" width="640" height="347" /></a><br /><br /><strong>Milham in the morning</strong><br /><br />Camera: Canon EOS 50D<br />Lens: EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM<br />Exposure Program: Aperture-priority AE<br />Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/2000)<br />Aperture: f/2.8<br />Focal Length: 55 mm<br />ISO Speed: 200<br />Exposure Bias: 0 EV<br />Flash: Off, Did not fire<br /><br />Some Photoshop editing (crop and tones).</p>

<p>Bit of a wet and windy week so I took a look at some recent shots I hadn't processed. This tree in the snow was intended as a high key B&W shot, but then I got to playing with it in PS...5D2 / 24-105L at 93mm; 1/100s @ f/16 ISO 200.</p><div>00aGFe-457383584.jpg.6b1f0e33d843fe951a579cdfa0084c08.jpg</div>

<p>The longest serving mascot in the British military has gone into retirement. I photographed him at his new home.<br>

5D+70-200/2.8 IS, ISO-100, 1/200, f6.3, 70 mm, -2/3 ev<br>

<a title="Sgt Falkland by Peter Meade, on Flickr" href=" Sgt Falkland src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7250/7041704971_855af87677_c.jpg" alt="Sgt Falkland" width="800" height="533" /></a></p>

<p>Great work so far, folks! Nathan, nicely done with the 5DIII.<br>

Brad, what kind of event? Wedding? Wow!</p>

<p>I had all of my settings wrong for this shot at 1/40 sec, f/11, handheld. I was shooting a fixed object and this fellow happened to perch just a few feet away. No time to change anything.</p><div>00aGG5-457391584.JPG.e8df398bd4ce655006aea1b5860c88fa.JPG</div>

<p>Nice images so far. I had forgotten about Spring. Here in Iceland it’s still pretty winterly.</p>

<p>This is the geothermal area Hverarönd close to Lake Mývatn in the north. It’s a blend of 3 exposures to deal with the enormous contrast.</p><div>00aGGO-457397584.jpg.43ad1358186c307e399de4b79cf79ce8.jpg</div>

<p>Didn't get out much this past week but I should make up for that this weekend. I am heading up to my mother-in-law's house in Connecticut. While there I will photograph it for memory sake as she has just sold the house that my wife and her siblings grew up in. After fifty some years the house will no longer be in the family. It is a beautiful building and unfortunately may be torn down by the people who have purchased it. Then it is on to Boston to watch (and shoot) my son run in the marathon on Monday.<br>

BTW, any advice about shooting the interior and the exterior of old houses is more than welcomed.</p><div>00aGGn-457405584.jpg.eb679d76b62c556a7ee267881fcec0b2.jpg</div>

<p>This plant is a Diamorpha smallii. I promised on March 15 to post a photo of a flower. I was almost too late – most of the flowers were bloomed over by yesterday. For reference, the flowers are about 5 – 6 mm tip-to-tip. I may post others from this series in the next couple of weeks.<br>

Diamorpha only grows on granite outcrops like Panola Mountain SP near Atlanta. Panola is similar to Stone Mountain in case you've been there, but it is so pristine that it’s hard not to step on fragile plants or lichens. You can only access Panola’s granite outcrop if accompanied by a park ranger. The March 15 photo was taken at Arabia Mountain, which is between the other two mountains in terms of how pristine it is.<br>

This photo was taken on a tripod at about 1.67x life size with a 7D, 100mm L IS Macro (full extension) plus 65mm of extension tubes. Exposure: 1/6s, f/11 (reported), ISO 200, 420EX flash with bounce card held to the side (FEC +3).</p><div>00aGI7-457439584.jpg.269951b8dd64f3b6a2274ee0a0ddc3af.jpg</div>