photography courses online? what's your opinion?

<p>Hello there!<br>

I'd like to know what do you guys think about this kind of course? Conducted online. Of course by a great recognized photographer :)<br>

I'm not talking about some video courses or tutorials but live online contact with a professional.<br>

Waiting for your opinions!<br>

Why should or should not be interesting?</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Marcelina</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It all depends on the course. Some great photographers make lousy teachers and some unknown photographers make great teachers.</p>

<p>You need to see what people who have taken the class say-which could be difficult since not all online courses post reviews of the classes.</p>

<p>Generally online classes work best for those who are already self-motivated. So the value of the classes is to have someone give you tips and to break down your images in a way that you might not if you didn't take a class</p>

<p>They are OK if you are really dedicated. Usuallly the lessons work best when you know you are going to use them on the job or for a particular project you are working on. I think Kelby's online training videos are great. The good thing is you can play them over and over again, but like I said you have to practice on your own. Otherwise it's in one ear and out the other. </p>

<p>LOL -- my opinion -- as a teacher of an online photography course -- should probably be discounted!</p>

<p>But, I do agree that it requires real dedication or other discipline. I actually teach a course that is a grade 12 credit within the school system in British Columbia, so students have the motivation to complete a full graduation-level course. We also keep a blog, use flickr as a shared space for submitting assignments, and I am very supportive of all students.</p>

<p>Still, my completion rate is significantly less than in a classroom where attendance is required.</p>

<p>On the other hand, I LOVE online resources like, well, this forum and lynda.com.</p>

<p>Thank you for answears!<br>

The reason why I ask is because I'm taking care of promotion of new online courses and I'd like to know what's the opinion of photographers.<br>

I agree it's kind of education addressed to self-motivated people. But it also gives you the convenience and possibility to connect directly with great talented people from the whole world, like this forum. And in these times we can use the power of internet and online communication.<br>

Guys, I need your suggestions. Why would make you, personally, choose such course?<br>

Warren, where do you find your online students? Do you think it is a specific group? Any piece of advice? :)</p>

<p>I opened a photo business a number of years ago without with very little professional training. It was successful as I learned by doing and came into it with some significant knowledge. I had taken a weeks wedding course from Monte Zucker in person while he was alive and I basically learned how much I didn't know and learned how awesomely good he was. I did learn studio lighting techniques from him that I still use today more than twenty years later. To be frank I am not interested in connecting today with renowned people like Mr. Zucker and paying premium for it. I am much more interested in staying abreast with software like LR4 and PS6 and have used sites like Lynda.com to keep me up to date. What I want is very direct non-celebrity short courses like how to use "content aware" or just plain simple instruction on advanced file management or how to adapt to Sony camera software after using Canon for twenty five years. I don't want to spend extra money to learn from a big name. My style, no matter how wanting, is my style and I do not want to emulate someone else. The biggest thing I learned doing weddings is how to use flash when the lighting is terrible. It would have been easier to learn the easy way rather than the hard way by trial and error.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I agree it's kind of education addressed to self-motivated people</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you have self-motivation, then you might ask yourself if you want to do a course of any kind at all. Get out there and figure it out for yourself (but not necessarily <strong>by</strong> yourself)! Just IMO.</p>

<p>Hi Marcelina:<br>

Since the course I teach is offered "within the system" (i.e. the British Columbia school system), I advertise it through the Distributed Learning schools. I also send my own pamphlets to specific "brick and mortar" schools in my own region, but most of my students live many hundreds of kilometers away.</p>

<p>Good luck with your venture!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Online courses can certainly work, but like it has been stated you do need to be dedicated. The completion rate is lower than classroom courses, but for some people this option is not suitable for their life style or personal situation.</p>

<p>There are a lot of teaching companies out there, so be aware that a lot are just after your money and all you are buying is an online book with a limited support. Sometimes this support is from other students. </p>

<p>The benefits of an online photography course is that you can learn at your own pace and in your own time.</p>

<p>I would advise you look for a company that offers a lot of support, that are easy to contact. Having a big name behind a company doesn't guarantee that they will be teaching you. Normally they haven't even written the course materials. More importantly, as it has already been mentioned they're not teachers, and don't know how to successfully guide and support students. Always look for feedback from current or past students. Make sure these are really students and not people that work for the company, as I have seenthis happen in the past. An open Facebook page is always worth looking for.</p>

<p>I hope this helps</p>