Mentors

<p>m. stephens, I was flip above, but my point is that you have to think about <em>your </em>credentials, what you bring to the table too. Why should anyone take you on as a mentee'? Are you looking for a free mentor, or one you pay? That's not a literal question, but something, one of many things to consider, and you're not going to have an answer to all of them going in. Nor is your prospective mentor. Credentials/accomplishments are no guarantee that they can teach. That was my point about the 2nd ex-LIFE photographer I know. Journalism, art, books, many solo shows, big buck print sales, and no mentoring ability. No matter what you do it is going to be a gamble -- for both of you.</p>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Luis G.,<br>

That's ok. I seem to have totally mis-communicated the idea here. Maybe my writing skills are poor? I had no intention of hiring credentialed people from lists, or phone books, or home business services. Nor did I have any intention of losing a liver in drunken debacles as one poster described. I am concluding that no one has had the experience of having a mentor. (I am in my 60s and never once heard of anyone hiring a mentor.)</p>

<p>I have had a couple of mentors. Early in my business career I had a mentor who was generous enough with his wisdom to help me become a better entrepreneur. Later on I had a mentor in the world of NGOs. I've never had one in the field of arts, but I have known some folk who would have made great mentors in that area. The mentors I have had are people who befriended me in a specific kind of way. People who were generous with their wisdom and experience and had the capability, desire and time to help bring someone else along their path. It wasn't a commercial venture like hiring a doctor to remove your gall bladder. Or hiring a lawyer to file papers. People do it for humanity reasons, not commercial ones.</p>

<p>I am not sure when this slipped off the tracks and became about hiring mentors from some mentor service with credential and what not. That was never my intention. Sorry for confusing so many people. Clearly not a subject for these forums. My apologies.</p>

<p>M, no apologies necessary. It was and still is a good topic. I think Tim asked a genuine question about looking for credentials in a mentor. This aspect is relevant and also provides a bit of a sidetrack to the main point about mentors. It's been a good discussion on many counts and there's probably quite a bit more of substance to say about it, though the thread may have run its course.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Why someone might choose to be a mentor and how they might choose their mentee . . .</p>

<p>The mentor is often generous and can also gain personally. Forcing themselves to articulate things to another, to guide or inspire another, can help one's own focus. Sharing is part of photography and art and many artists and mentors feel a strong desire to share. A mentor can be inspired by the innocence or freshness of a mentee.</p>

<p>A mentor may recognize potential in a mentee and want to feel a part of its realization.</p>

<p>It can also be or become a relationship of intimacy, which can be both rewarding and inspiring.</p>

<p>I imagine in many cases, ego plays a role on the part of the mentor, not a bad thing at all IMO. Ego can be very much a part of a good photographer or artist (as can be letting go of ego).</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Fred pretty much nailed it in the defining a mentor which is his comment regarding TRUST between both parties.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Forcing themselves to articulate things to another, to guide or inspire another, can help one's own focus. Sharing is part of photography and art and many artists and mentors feel a strong desire to share.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow! Couldn't have defined it any better. In fact this happened to me right here at Photo.net in a discussion on my discovery of Eggleston's work. I trusted and sensed I was in good company here with people who were knowledgeable and experienced enough to relate to what I was talking about when I practically was inspired to write what looks to me an unintended essay on what I was getting out of this guy's work I've never seen before.</p>

<p>I didn't know I had it in me but it was brought out because I BELIEVED I was among like minded people and was made better for it. It didn't matter if they were paying attention, I couldn't tell anyway online unless someone responded with their own input. IOW you've got to believe the person that's mentoring you is going to be receptive in both give and take and know what both are talking about. The more indepth each go the more both know and believe they're not just in it for the ego but for real discovery and learning. That takes time.</p>

<p>My mentioning the credential side of the equation was to find out if this made a difference in the TRUST department because these well learned folks usually would like to be paid for their services and most likely may be over qualified and advise on a level that's over the mentee's head which may cause the mentor to lose interest especially if they're doing it for free.</p>

<p>There's also the background check aspect for both parties which should be considered if being mentored in the physical world as opposed to strictly cyberspace. And I say this as someone who while in my late teens "dodged a bullet" with a well respected public relations professional representing a well known charity who saw my portfolio of cartoons and illustrations and offered mentoring services on how to promote my work. He had other ideas I won't go into but suffice it to say years later he met with a tragic end that involved a teen age boy and a knife out on a deserted farm road. And that mentor I never saw touch a drop of alcohol.</p>

I had lots of mentors... There was the work of other photographers I admired.. My fellow professionals who worked in the

advertising market, and most of all Ansel Adams, whom I met in 1969. I found all to be generous ith their time and advice.

I was fortunate to work in an environment that was very collegial. However, some who I consider menors I never met...

Elliot Porter, Karsh, Dorothea Lang, etc.

<p>My camera is my mentor and it has a wicked left hook. (Ouch!)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think the point it to find someone who has accomplishments you already respect.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Competence is only part of the requirement. As Fred mentioned, empathy and respect for the student are of primary importance, as well as the ability to communicate effectively.</p>

<p>" I am concluding that no one has had the experience of having a mentor. "</p>

<p>If you do, you're not reading closely. Several of us have mentioned having had mentors and mentoring. I don't think anything has gone wrong with this post. Mentors, as you must know, having had several, come in all flavors and sizes -- and not all of them are free. It's not s simple as "hiring", either. You're going to be vetted, regardless. If you aren't, think twice. There isn't just one model in mentoring, nor an ideal one. Look at the Oriental models of mentoring, they are very different from ours. What I'm saying is that there's a lot of variety, and that things one gets from one kind of mentor are not universally available from every kind. Depending on one's psychic energies, apparent antagonistic models can work wonders. Demand the unexpected if you want serious progress. As long as you're willing to learn, you will. </p>

<p>m., out of curiosity, I just tried Googling "free photography mentoring" and got</p>

<p><em>Six </em>hits.</p>

<p>"photography mentoring" got 26,000 hits, all of them on the first few pages seem to be charging in exchange for mentoring, so it can't be that uncommon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>RE AA and mentoring. A friend took one of his workshops back in the 70's, I believe. AA welcomed the students to stay in contact after the workshop and even send work. My friend took him up on the invite. I got to see an original reply from AA. It was a single-spaced, typed personal letter, several pages long with a warm and friendly critique of priceless information and encouragement. The flip-side of AA's generosity was abuse by unscrupulous students who claimed to have been "mentored" by AA in their prospectuses for workshops and photo sales. Thee AA trust takes a dim view of this.</p>

<p>Not that I am anything great, but I have been mentoring chair of my camera club for several years. There is no specific job description other than coming up with ideas to help members improve their photography. One of my tasks is to match mentees with the appropriate mentors on a one-on-one basis, depending on the mentee's need. I try to experiment something different every year, to meet with need vs circumstance/confinement. In fact, tonight will be the start of a small group workshop (of no more than ten beginners who will each pay a symbolic $10 "commitment fee" to the club). I will begin the first "huddle" session to discuss expectations from the participants. The bottom line is that, by the end of the last session (5th), every one in the group would have learned or accomplished something, or would have had their photography brought to the next level. Well, that is my goal. Let's see what happens. :)</p>