iPhone street shooting video by Koci Hernandez

Brad_

<p>Leslie firstly, your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone elses. Secondly, your mind seems set, not that I would try to convince you otherwise. On the other hand it's quite conceivable you may have missed something, that's why I'm going to explain.</p>

<p>The word movement was perhaps not as unluckily chosen after all. There's no denying that cam phones and in particular the iPhone have created an alltogether different, or more precise, an added approach to creative photography. A lot of this is certainly due to the retro <a href="http://hipstamatic.com/the_app.html"><strong>Hipstamatic app</strong></a></p>

<p>For most this is only fun. For some, like Brad, Travis and me, it's a lot more than that. From a personal point of view I think there's an immediacy that's hard to get from a P&S or a 35mm (D)SLR. Then there's availability, it's a camera that I always and I do mean always carry with me.</p>

<p>As for quality, sure it's a tiny weeny wide angle lens with a fixed aperture of 2,8 and ISO 80, serious limitations for sure. And yet it's possible to create great photography with that. I'm not going to tell you it compares to a (D)SLR or even a high-end P&S because it doesn't. On the other hand I've created 30x30 prints that I would use without any hesitation in a gallery exhibit.</p>

<p>Consider this, the most important museum on contemporary art in the Netherlands, the <a href="http://www.kunsthal.nl/en-22-681-Hipstamatic.html"><strong>Kunsthal</strong></a> did a major and prominant exhibit on just this kind of photography in 2011 and by know they've decided to go on with that.<br /> In the US, to give just one example, there's the<a href="http://iphoneographymiami.com/"><strong> iPhoneography</strong></a> annual exhibit in Miami. Now, I know from firsthand experience that curators in places like this are people who take art very serious so one would think there's something to it.</p>

<p>In the end it all deals with serious photography (and I for one take my photography very serious). Some may not like it but by now it's quite certain that it's a lot more than just another hype. It's about photography.</p>

<p>BTW, Travis is Travis Jensen, one helluva SF based photographer who does not frequent this forum.</p>

Ton sums up nicely about what phonecam shooting is about from a dedicated sp perspective.

I would just

add that my phone also offers a lot extra value supporting my street shooting. Taking personal notes, capturing

subject information, realtime bus schedules and positioning, voice recording, showing potential subjects

portfolios of photos (though I'm using a 7" Kindle Fire for that now), GPS, maps, light post processing,

keeping appointments, social media photo uploads, plus all of the normal other "stuff," like email, web,

listening to music, reading news, and phone calls. At the end of a day of shooting, my photos sync

wirelessly for organizing into LR on my desktop computer or laptop if I'm on the road.

Ton, quick question re 30x30. Centimeters, right? I think you'd also be pleased going even beyond that.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>yes Brad, it was indeed centimeters. If I remember correctly you've printed some 30x30 inch. Must be a sight.</p>

<p>and to add to the extra value you mentioned, I commute by train every day for two hours so I watch video as well. Just watched The King's Speech. Also a great way to unwind after a day of shooting. Versatile camera or what? ;-)</p>

<p>Ton,<br>

I could be wrong but I don't see how the availability and immediacy have to do with anything. I carry my P&S 99% of the time while out. Immediacy maybe god send, if you are working for reuters or even working an event but street photography, really? Good result is great result whether it's via camphone in a minute or a month, say, Clive France's art film prints. Time matters little here...</p>

<p>As for Miami Iphone exhibition, I could careless. I lived in the area and Art Basel (the largest, most famous art fest in America, they say) doesn't impress me much. Great arts need not to be judged by what museum they exhibited in, what price they sold for, nor whether In-Public folks like them or not...</p>

<p>That said, I do like the Iphone. Nothing wrong with it, it's cool because of the additional functions, Brad mentioned. But I think that by just labeling photography "Iphoneography" is a bit silly. It takes away its seriousness IMO. The photos should speak for themselves. Does Bruce Gilden has a section called leica flash photography on his site? Does Alex Soth have a LF label on his site? Nevermind Magnum shooters, let's talk PN folks now. Does Jeff S. have Iphoneography on his site, he uses an Iphone I heard. How about Mike D.? He used (or still does) an M3, does he specify anything RF/leica photography on his site?</p>

<p>Again, do whatever you feel. Anyhow, I swamped with work. Sorry for my slow replies...</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>To be clear, I have nothing against Iphoneography itself nor the Iphone, lomo, toy cam or lo-fi photgraphy. Hmmm...maybe I just despise so called labels. FWIW I hate (most) modern SP. I think many so called street shooters should take a beginning composition photo course...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well Leslie the way I see it you keep making this bigger than it is or deserves.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The photos should speak for themselves.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>yes, and either they do or they don't. No label is going to change that. I judge contests and some people keep hammering on about a black frame would be so much better than a white frame on any given photo. What they actually should concentrate on is the actual photo. It's just one example of people distracted by inconsequential stuff.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does Bruce Gilden has a section called leica flash photography on his site? Does Alex Soth have a LF label on his site? Nevermind Magnum shooters, let's talk PN folks now. Does Jeff S. have Iphoneography on his site, he uses an Iphone I heard. How about Mike D.? He used (or still does) an M3, does he specify anything RF/leica photography on his site?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why would I care or anyone else for that matter? Again it's inconsequential. I look at their photography, not inconsequential things surrounding it. Presentation is important but only so much. Of course, in Alec Soth's case the fact that he shoots some of his series with a 8x10 is intrumental in these results.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Immediacy maybe god send, if you are working for reuters or even working an event but street photography, really?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>yes, really.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Great arts need not to be judged by what museum they exhibited in...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>it should tell you something though</p>

<blockquote>

<p>whether it's via camphone in a minute or a month, say, Clive France's art film prints. Time matters little here...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>these are two different things though. Post work, whether in a darkroom or behind a computer is quite different from shooting work. Any idea how long it takes to create a salt print for instance? Does it automatically follow that a cam shot gets printed without any form of post? Mine don't and time matters very much if you want your resulting photos to be as good as they can be, camshots just the same as all other ones. I do postwork for some other photographers as well. They wouldn't like it one bit if they thought I rushed it or took shortcuts. Believe you me, time does matter and you take as much as is needed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But I think that by just labeling photography "Iphoneography" is a bit silly.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Whether you like it or not and regardless of its importance, if any at all, it's what people do and often not without reason or merit. You only have to look at the history of photography to discover that. Ever heard of Typography, Appropiation, Image Construction to name just a few. All labels.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think many so called street shooters should take a beginning composition photo course...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>there's no doubt that composition is the single most instrument in photography as a whole and SP in particular, at least not in my mind.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thomas,what I see I photograph...it is really that simple for me. I do not sneak or creep I'm very open with my photography I feel no need to photograph otherwise.</p>

<p>I have taken 10's of thousands of photos and not one person has ever challenged me. Among the cams I used today was a M8 with a honking great Voigtlander 50mm 1.1 lens.. nobody objected to my street photography,indeed, they stepped back so as not to get in the way of my photograph.</p>

<p>An open society is a free sociecty..I have little interest in a society which takes away photograph freedoms in the name of vanity.</p>

<p>My Sermon of the day.</p><div>00a5q9-447325584.jpg.393810937e4cfa138a75fe975b8ca55b.jpg</div>

<p>Mr. Koci advises his viewers to sneak up on people on the streets with their iphones, to disguise themselfs with headphones, as to pretend that they are not taking pictures but listening to music or checking email. I find it creepy, in free society. Bad advise - just my opinion.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Mr. Koci advises his viewers to sneak up on people on the streets with their iphones..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That was only one of various techniques he demonstrated for using the iPhone for street photography, some of which were completely open and apparently included talking with the people he photographed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I find it creepy, in free society. Bad advise - just my opinion."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Those surreptitious techniques might be excellent advice and very useful in societies that are not free, or in any situation where journalists and observers trying to document newsworthy events or public incidents are hindered or threatened.</p>