Lens Caps

jessica_jones7

<p>What Zuikos specifically? All their lenses take standard lens caps in sizes such as 49mm, 55mm, 58mm, etc. so you should be able to order such caps from an online camera store or buy them a a well equipped camera store if such exist in your area. The only exception would be certain ultra wide lenses such as the OM mount 18mm WA, 16mm, and 8mm fish eye lens, all these took custom front lens caps. As for rear caps I have found that my OM rear caps fit the plastic mount of my 14~42mm f3.5~5.6 kit lens for my E-410 camera. Rear lens caps are also available to order for most Olympus lenses except for the Pen F half frame Zuikos sold in the 1960's.</p>

<p>If you don't know the size in mm for the specific lens then measure across the front of the lens with a ruler marked in mm. If, on the front trim ring of a lens you see a circle with a diagonal line through it followed by a number such as 58, then that lens takes a 58mm front lens cap. Other numbers following that symbol would indicate the correct cap size for that lens.</p>

<p>I guess you're in a bad way when you have to fall back on home-made cardboard caps!</p>

<p>As John says, look for the circle symbol with the up/down line through it, then the 2-digit number is the size you need. Nearly any modern plastic lens cap will have this size stamped on the inside (check some of the caps you DO have to confirm this).</p>

<p>Next time you're near a camera store, or perhaps a pawn shop with cameras, or a camera flea market, or even a mini-lab, ask if they might have some lens caps in the sizes you need. (Somehow,extra lens caps seem to end up in such places.) Offer to pay for them, they'll probably charge a couple bucks apiece, or hopefully, just give them to you. Good luck.</p>

<p>Once you know the size you need, go onto the big auction site and order a bunch of them (not onesies & twosies) , they're much cheaper that way. I routinely do that for any camera I acquire for which I'm missing caps and don't have a replacement in the bin.</p>

<p>I bought plastic caps wtjh "pinh" buttons to fit the filter threads.,<br>

some lenses have no sixe but try a screw-in filter to determine the correct size.<br>

read carefully, I woulnd up with 6 pairs of PK caps trying to buy M42 back caps .<br>

the HK dealer was very nice but misunderstood what I wanted.<br>

Now I need to do it again as I have more cameras and lenses with skylight filters and No caps</p>

<p>BTW does anyone have a way to ID the Canon Bayonet Hood for a FD 50mm f/1.8?</p>

<p>The 50mm f1.8 Zuiko is 49mm, buy a clip-on cap. Buy several, 5 is a good number, it will be cheaper than reordering. Look for a cap-keeper if you can get along with them. It is a nylon string that attaches to the camera strap lug and, with double stick tape, to the lens cap. They would drive me crazy but some people don't mind them dangling when you are using the camera.</p>