A Polaroid instant camera for the digital age ?

hjoseph7

<p>What's interesting about he camera is the way it uses a small format sensor to make what looks like a medium format size print. When the lens brought light directly to the film your depth of field was limited because you needed a focal length long enough to cover the format. This gives you a similar size print but with the much better depth of field of the forter focal length lens. It's really small printer for use with dye-incorporated paper, with a small digital camera attached. The printing technology may have been Polaroid's last home grown technology breakthrough. If the timing had been better then something closer to the old Polaroid might still be in business. </p>

<p>Just when you think Polaroid has used up its 9 lives, here comes another. I have to say that this new iteration is intriguing, if for no other reason than it is the Rube Goldberg camera of cameras. While $299 isn't cheap, neither were some of their other first generation cameras of their time: the 110's, and even the SX-70's were spendy. But it always led to less expensive versions. I hope they find a market. God bless Polaroid, and may they live long and somehow prosper. </p>

<p>Sorry guys, but Polaroid is already dead. The company is (I believe) Korean-owned, as is Westinghouse and a number of other old US companies. RCA may be too.</p>

<p>When these companies started to die off in the late 90s/early 2000s, they were bought up by existing Asian companies. Sometimes it was like Sony buying Minolta, where they wanted the technology. More often it was an Asian umbrella company that merely wanted the name recognition of the bankrupted American brand.</p>

<p>Polaroid cameras are the exact same as various other brands, but with the Polaroid logo on them. Polaroid has indeed used up its nine lives.</p>