If you could only buy one ND filter

Sycamoe

<p>I know this has been asked before but looking for opinions: If my goal is to blur water and in some cases to aid in reducing depth of field, what might be the one ND filter strength to get? I know multiple filters is the way but money is very much an issue.</p>

<p>I have and use a 4 stop Tiffen along w/ polarizer as needed. That gets me a good 5-6 stops and is enough to do what I want. A lot of the blur water shots are actually under moderately low light (in shade) and I don't go for the loooooong exposures.</p>

<p>Brian,<br>

Because sometimes you don't have time on your side, your ISO won't go low enough, and your aperture won't go small enough. I recently had this issue. I wanted to shoot long exposure, but unfortunately I wasn't able to wait for the sun to go down. I set the ISO on my 60D to 100, closed the aperture to f/22, and still even a 1 second exposure was washed out. Like Harry, I need to invest in a ND filter, and can't afford to buy several.</p>

<p>I would and did get the strongest filter I could find.<br>

The alternative is to get a two filters, either a pair of Linear Polarisers or one circular and one linear. Either combination when rotated against each other give you a variable ND result down to near 'no light passing'. Linear/Circular relates to their construction and not their physical shape.</p>

<p>Only have the B+W ND106, 6-stops. I mainly got it to be able to use wide apertures on sunny days, and much less so for the silky water look. So it's more than enough for my purposes.<br>

If it would be for the silky water effect mainly, I'd go for the 10-stops; kind of a lot, but (on a good tripod) it'll certainly do the trick.</p>