migrating cs3 to cs5 in respect to copyright info

<p>this is something i just want to share with those who use cs3. </p>

<p>recently, i discovered that the copyright information defined in file->file info is interpreted differently between cs3 and cs5. i always left it to a default value as 'Unknown' in cs3. when i updated the photoshop from cs3 to cs5, i discovered that cs5 transforms 'Unknown' to 'Public Domain'. i realize there are many aspects to a copyright. however, to declare a photo file as outright 'Public Domain', you may have been misled. this is also interesting in that your photo file, created by cs3, may be on the web and someone using cs5 opens it and discovers it as 'Public Domain'. i am not a lawyer. i have not consulted with a copyright lawyer. (when you use cs5 and leave it as 'Unknown', cs5 will not transform it to 'Public Domain')</p>

<p>i reported this issue to adobe as a software bug. few weeks later (few exchanges later), this is what i received:</p>

<p>Your Case Number:0182739593<br /><br /> Hello Osamu, <br /> <br /> Thank you for contacting Adobe! <br /> <br /> I have verified on our technical response team that this is not a bug but an expected behaviour. If you save any file as "Unknown" on Photoshop CS3, Photoshop CS5 will automatically set that to "Public Domain" since "Unknown" and "Public Domain" are just the same. If you have set your file as "Copyrighted", it will remain "Copyrighted" on any versions. <br /> <br /> We will be closing this case. <br /> <br />Kris, <br />Adobe Tech Support<br /><br /> This email is in response to support case #0182739593 submitted by osamu watanabe.</p>

<p>The info in the file has no bearing on the actual copyright status. In the US, all photos taken by you are copyrighted by you the instant they are made, so long as they aren't done as work for hire or other contractual arrangements are in place.<br>

So Adobe's change from "Uncopyrighted" to "Public Domain" doesn't affect the actual copyright, just the notice in the file. It has nothing to do with any notice that appears on the print itself.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

Expressly stating "Public Domain" for copyright will make any reasonable person think that it is "in the Public Domain."

Just like Beethoven's symphony scores, no royalty will be paid to the estate.

The key term in legalities is what a "reasonable person" would do or believe.

I am not a legal person by any means.

But if you were to see "Public Domain" what else could it mean?

Oscans marks the metadata of all scans as copyright to the person who has brought the photomedia for scanning. I

don't know what other scanning companies do.

<p>Later, I did go back and found some cases where items with a copyright notice had in fact ended up with a "Public Domain" label as well. Most were OK, but you might want to look at the metadata for a sampling and see if you need to 'replace' any copyright data.</p>

<p>i got in touch with adobe systems and i was informed that they will get back with me. since i will not be accessible next week, i expect a follow-up after that. <br>

i changed all my photo files to 'Copyrighted' using br cs5.1 (which, btw, correctly recognizes 'Unknown'). </p>