Never A Better Time for a K-5

kfrog

<p>The sale price is also <a href=""http:/www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735971-REG/Pentax_14748_K_5_Digital_SLR_Camera.html">here</a>, until tomorrow. I've bought 3 lenses in the last 7 months and am just starting to pay off the last one. As Charlie Brown would've said "AAAAUUUUGH!"</p>

<p>An outstanding deal for such a great camera! </p>

<p>Justin said in his recent review, that the K-5 is so good it is one of those rare ones you can buy and have no regrets, even after another new replacement model has arrived. Having my K-5 for nearly 2 months now, and after seeing the latest and greatest models from other brands now hitting the shelves, and the test labs, I agree with Justin's assessment! </p>

<p>Those with a primary interest in the most advanced video capabilites may be better off to wait for the next model though.</p>

<p>Other thoughts- I wonder how long new K-5's will be in stock? These price reductions and instant rebates from Pentax suggest it is no longer being made and this is an effort to make way for their latest model.</p>

<p>Adorama makes no mention of a sale date ending, that I could see. B&H states the deal to end 11-29. Does this mean 11-29 is the last day, or it already has ended on 11-29? I also find 11-29 to be rather odd instead of carrying the deal through the month! </p>

<p>Do the "Bill Me Later" option- pay it off in 6 months or less and have no interest to pay. And right now, at B&H anyway, new BML customers get an extra $20 off purchases over $100. $970 for a K-5! I've used Bill Me Later for several photography purchases in the past few years- including my K-5 last spring when I paid over $1400!!!</p>

<p>Now's the time, for sure!</p>

<p>Unlike Michael Kuhne, I did not see any notice yesterday on the B&H web page for the K-5 that it was 'cyber monday' only. The e-mail promotion for Monday did not include any Pentax items. There was no 'deal expires....' notation along with the pricing. I assumed that $999 was a final markdown for the rest of the inventory. However, today the price is back to $1199. Did not pull the trigger yesterday and now have some regret. I did make a complaint to B&H about the lack of a clear notice. Adorama is also back to the previous price.</p>

<p>The original and current $300 instant rebate, reducing the price from $1,500 list to $1,200 was to expire Nov. 30, 2011. Now that has been extended to Jan. 31, 2012. Then we had the 3-day sale hardly anyone had time to see, increasing the instant rebate to $500, which ended Nov. 29, 2011. That seems like it came from Pentax marketing, not from B&H or Adorama, although the exact expiration was not made clear. To me, all this is a clear indication of a new model soon to arrive. The hope is that K-5's on the shelves will sell out soon, but the hard economic times have slowed down even bargain sales. In the past there were left-over K-7's still hanging around at a reduced price as a discontinued model. Same way before with the K20D. Although the current reduced K-5 prices will certainly attract buyers, there will probably still be some left over when the new model comes in, making a deeper price reduction likely.</p>

<p>If the new model arrives before Christmas, that may help its initial sales, while bargain hunters will be interested in the left-over K-5's at a reduced cost. We can only speculate as to what the new model will be like. Improved video function, beyond a doubt.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"...my manual focus Nikon lenses work fine w/o an adapter..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please explain. Over the years I've heard rumors that Nikon F-mount lenses can somehow be mounted on K-mount cameras without an adapter and without modifying the lens or the camera; I tried it once, couldn't get it to work, and figured it was just a hoax.</p>