Should I get lighting stuff or a Prime? Help me decide!

jacob_mota

<p>I'm not really sure where to post, but I figured this would be the best. I am not a beginner photographer, but I am by no where near a pro. I've been shooting a lot of portraits and landscapes for the past year and a half now. I plan to minor in Photography as well. I am currently a Junior in college. It's christmas time and I have some money! I can either buy a Westcott apollo soft box kit (Comes with light stand, 28'' sot box, and bracket) and a radio slave for my flash (sb-600) which both would be around 300 and that's about what I have to spend. <br>

OR<br>

I can buy the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G. that is just over 220 or so. and I can buy some extra books to learn more about photography or photoshop or Lightroom (which I have both programs and have bought 3 books so far over posing, photography in general, and exposure)<br>

<br />What are your suggestions? why should I do one over the other? What books would you suggest? any other suggestions?</p>

<p>Current camera is the Nikon D60 with the kit lenses and the SB-600. <br>

<br />I hope you're all having great and safe holidays with your families! <br>

:)</p>

<p>-Jacob</p>

<p>Merry Christmas!</p>

<p>Jacob,<br>

are you satisfied with the quality of your present lenses? If not, what are you missing? Just "nice to have"? Or, is the 1.8 tempting you - kit lenses often are not that open?<br>

If you want to do portraits, you might want to get better control over your lighting.<br>

Try to evaluate first what you need or really want for your present kind of shooting that can help you become a better photographer. If you do not do that, you may end up with a wrong desicion, and such desicions cost money.... (believe me, I've been there...)</p>

If your plan is to minor in photography,

save your money. Your gear

necessities will be driven by your

professors' instructions, not your own

opinions. Have you taken any photo

classes yet? If your college has any

kind of reputable visual arts

department, your first few photo

classes will likely be film, and your

professor will guide you on what to pick

up.

<p>Hi Jacob, Seasons greetings. As time goes by, I have learned one main point about my gear, always invest in the best glass/lenses you can. Bodies and other items come and go but with care, your lenses will outlast you - I've been taking photographs for over 50 years and although I've gone from Nikon "F"s to D3's - two of my lenses are over 30 years old and still very much in use. Your Tutors will guide you on what you need for your course and you will find an awful lot can be obtained second hand from those who do not stay the course. If you intend to be a photographer for life, whether pro or amateur - always go for the best glass you need and can afford.</p>

<p>Per-Christian Nilssen, I am satisfied for them being kit lenses, but the 1.8 is extremely tempting. I feel that it could be a great way to increase some of my images. And, let me clarify, I do portraits, but I don't do any studio portraits (for obvious reasons now, but maybe in the future) they are all outside and on location. Thus, why i'm not sure if the extra lighting would help me there as much as the lens would. My thinking is to become a better photographer at this point, I should get a little bit better piece of glass</p>

<p>Ariel S - My university isn't really known for the photography. and my degree plan lets me do nothing but digital photography (along with the other art classes) So, for school, I won't HAVE to buy a film...but I might one day (:</p>

<p>Harry Joseph - I have a reflector that I use to bounce light and I make it work well enough! I like how it woks for my system lol<br /><br />Andrew Miller - Seasons greetings to you too! The only issue I have with this lens is it is a DX lens and not an FX. So, if/when I upgrade to a Full frame camera I'll need to upgrade that class too. But, It is going to be a long time before that happens and the FX version of this glass is super cheap as well. So, that hasn't accounted to that much of a factor. <br /><br />Thanks for everyone who responded. I greatly appreciate it! I just don't know what to do, but I am leaning to buying the lens! <br /><br />To anyone else reading this, tell me your opinion please and Happy Holidays! (:</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I would say in your current position you would benefit more from buying another reflector and a wireless trigger from cowboy studios. This plus the price of the new lens will only cost you the 300.00. These items will help you learn lighting first. It is so important for your photo skills to truly understand how to take good photographs. The lens will allow you to use available light and simpler lighting setups so that you can add on to your lighting as needed. I am a firm believer in using the smallest and simplest amount of equipment that is possible. In your situation taking pictures with one strobe and reflector is fine. Buy the lens and enjoy shooting at 1.8. Besides, shooting at that kind of aperture will give a great dreamy bokeh to your pictures. I would look for a used 1.4. This lens will likely be one you will keep for a long time and you will love how sharp it is compared to your kit lenses. </p>

<p>I get very good results with an SB800 plus a Gary Fong type lightsphere - nice soft shadows. You need to keep the flash above and to the side of the camera - cord plus assistant / lighting stand / tripod for camera & hold flash plus a reflector to put more light into shadow areas. shooting at f4 or 5.6 at around 50 - 85mm should work pretty well. But control over lighting IS key.</p>

<p>I'm not really a fan of super wide lenses. Yes, you can shoot in low light, but your depth of field at portrait distances is only centimeters. For landscapes, the problem is not so bad.<br>

I have found that tripods also help. If you can get your subject to remain still for 1/8 or 1/4 of a second, you can get some good available light shots. </p>